Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad and I failed to adhere to TreasureNet's rules and posted our find on his account. The following is a reupload of my Dad's post. Apologies and thanks to anyone who has already taken the time to leave a comment, like, or banner nomination.

Last week, my son and I went on another “Treasure Coast” trip, this time armed with our new Equinox 800’s.

Our last trip to St. Augustine had me finding the only “old coin”, an 8 Reale, that I was sure was authentic, but my 21 yo son had the opposite opinion. For the last 6 months, I have been hearing it from him about my “lead slug”.

Fast forward to last week. It’s about 11:30 pm on 3/27, and he comes up from behind me and tells me he found a “fake” coin, and not so jokingly accuses me of planting it, so he could have the heart attack/heart break of finding a worthless piece of junk… So, Sam pulls the “coin” out of his junk pouch so we can both give it a better look.

Upon inspection of the coin, its mint appearance gave the impression of a newly minted souvenir, but the coins details were so fine, and weight so heavy, we really did not know what to think. Back at the hotel we researched, compared pictures of actual coins, and did everything we could at 3 am to prove or disprove its origin.

The next morning we went to the West Bay Trading Company in Vero Beach to have the coin seen by folks who know much more than we do. The guys at West Bay were really helpful, determined that the gold content is just under 90%. 21 carat (by all records we found, 87.5 % was what the coin were supposed to be), Both Ron and Scott looked at the coin in disbelief of the condition, and determined that it was indeed genuine, and Scott, with his loop, discovered that the date was an over stamp 1787 over a 6. We were advised to have the coin graded and slabbed, and that is where it sits now.

Needless to say, we had a great trip. The Equinox has proved to be a great, fast, deep machine. Small brass/bronze/copper bits at 8 to 12 inches ring up VERY loud and clear on the wet sand (Beach 2), leaving no doubt that you have a non-ferrous item under the coil. Yes, aluminum rings up as well, but as we all know, that is just the cost of doing business… Battery run time is all of 10 hours plus, the wireless headphones worked well, the backlight on its lowest setting is perfect, and the machine preformed very quietly in the dry sand, and even in the surf. Very happy with the Equinox! -muttandjeeps
Angled Reverse.jpg
Obverse.jpg
Reverse.jpg

Upvote 65

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Here's hoping!

Yeah, get murkied up if you posted under another name. That might qualify you as "active". Depends how they weigh it. Because this avetar name is fairly inactive. So there's incentive for you to do more than "lurk" :) Chime in with other's questions. Chime in with tech. pro's & con's. Chime in with atteboys to other's finds, etc... Then later, when you come on with a find of this caliber: You are more than a lurker.

While it sounds VERY nit-picky, yet there are just SO many cool finds that get put on daily and weekly. And if they got too foot-loose with choices , it would start to be grade-inflation. And thus loose it's very elite status. And there can't be any hard-&-fast rules (eg.: all gold coins, or all coins with a book value of such & such, or all coins over a certain age, or all coins with XX # of nominations), lest it turn out to become a mechanical forced and/or manipulated process. Instead: It's like a beauty pageant. Where there's no exact flow-chart process.

On the one hand, that's the beauty of it (no hands can be "forced" ), yet on the other hand, it can seem nebulous or capricious. But there's just no other way. The standards have to be very picky, because there is just so much good stuff members put out for show & tell. But with that said: This is still the hole-in-one holy-grail !

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Incredible find!

OP
OP
Minkey

Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, get murkied up if you posted under another name. That might qualify you as "active". Depends how they weigh it. Because this avetar name is fairly inactive. So there's incentive for you to do more than "lurk" :) Chime in with other's questions. Chime in with tech. pro's & con's. Chime in with atteboys to other's finds, etc... Then later, when you come on with a find of this caliber: You are more than a lurker.

While it sounds VERY nit-picky, yet there are just SO many cool finds that get put on daily and weekly. And if they got too foot-loose with choices , it would start to be grade-inflation. And thus loose it's very elite status. And there can't be any hard-&-fast rules (eg.: all gold coins, or all coins with a book value of such & such, or all coins over a certain age, or all coins with XX # of nominations), lest it turn out to become a mechanical forced and/or manipulated process. Instead: It's like a beauty pageant. Where there's no exact flow-chart process.

On the one hand, that's the beauty of it (no hands can be "forced" ), yet on the other hand, it can seem nebulous or capricious. But there's just no other way. The standards have to be very picky, because there is just so much good stuff members put out for show & tell. But with that said: This is still the hole-in-one holy-grail !

That makes sense! If it was easy to get, it wouldn't mean anything.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main worry is scratches, as soft as the coin is. Also, I like the idea of certification because even until now, I find it hard to believe it's real and it will be nice to see how the grading compares it to other examples.

This is probably the only coin that we will ever find like this so I don't want to take any chances with it!
Really, you are worried about scratches, why? Because it takes away from the ???? The most important thing is you found it, is it not?

OP
OP
Minkey

Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really, you are worried about scratches, why? Because it takes away from the ???? The most important thing is you found it, is it not?

Absolutely! This is and probably always will be my most attractive find! I want to preserve the condition.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing must weigh more than a Big Mac! Congrats! Banner time for sure.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! This is and probably always will be my most attractive find! I want to preserve the condition.
Mine sit in a velvet lined tray or put it in a cheap plastic sleeve. If you want to look at treasure behind glass go to a museum. You have a rare opportunity to 'touch' it, why pay money to ruin that experience? Like I said it makes no sense to me at all. I get to pick up my 2000 year old coins all the time & the thought of having them in slabs is ridiculous. However, it is you choice, so crack on & find out for yourself.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Replying again..... AWESOME F@&$ing FIND!!!! Banner!!!!
Congrats

OP
OP
Minkey

Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine sit in a velvet lined tray or put it in a cheap plastic sleeve. If you want to look at treasure behind glass go to a museum. You have a rare opportunity to 'touch' it, why pay money to ruin that experience? Like I said it makes no sense to me at all. I get to pick up my 2000 year old coins all the time & the thought of having them in slabs is ridiculous. However, it is you choice, so crack on & find out for yourself.

Well what's great about the slab is I can decide at any point to change my mind and remove the coin from it. It was really more of a knee-jerk reaction due to the scarcity and condition. I've got thirty to forty arrowheads 7000+ years old in a case that allows me handle them anytime. I find that easier because here they are in relation to this coin "a dime a dozen". I of course take care to keep them safe but if one was to be mishandled and cracked it wouldn't be the end of the world. This coin is a different story. From South American gold mined by slaves, to Madrid, then to the coast of Florida to be found by me, and in this condition! That's one in a million.

Anyways, not encased in carbonate. Just protected so that it can always be on my desk without fear of damage!

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like we said early on.......BANNER!!!!!:icon_thumright::occasion14::icon_thumleft: These are things that some of us dream of! Thank you for sharing :notworthy:

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to many with that avatar :headbang: Keep on digging !

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

THIS- is such a great explanation on the nature of the banner. It IS like a beauty pageant- gotta win our hearts. And now i know why there can't be hard-fast rules either, manipulation is all too common in this world. Thank you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Congratz on banner. I'll trade you a mercury dime for your coin . Huh huh ? Deal ?? :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One post was just fine. I don’t know what you mean by “compliance”. Members post other members finds all the time.
Scrappy, posting a buddy's fine is not the issue, to qualify for banner it must be posted by the finder, a member can't post someone elses find and it qualify for banner. If finder is not member it doesn't qualify for banner no matter how rare. Since finder has an account and has been member it qualifies under his name.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks good up there, nice one.
attachment.php

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I watched the other post......knew you'd make it Minkey!!! Congrats!!!

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Well what's great about the slab is I can decide at any point to change my mind and remove the coin from it. It was really more of a knee-jerk reaction due to the scarcity and condition. I've got thirty to forty arrowheads 7000+ years old in a case that allows me handle them anytime. I find that easier because here they are in relation to this coin "a dime a dozen". I of course take care to keep them safe but if one was to be mishandled and cracked it wouldn't be the end of the world. This coin is a different story. From South American gold mined by slaves, to Madrid, then to the coast of Florida to be found by me, and in this condition! That's one in a million.

Anyways, not encased in carbonate. Just protected so that it can always be on my desk without fear of damage!

Slab it and ignore the nay sayers. Gold is soft and that coin is in great shape, its too easy to drop it on edge and get a big ding on it.

If you where from Europe where they find beat up old gold coins every day it would be a different story as those are common. ;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... If you where from Europe where they find beat up old gold coins every day it would be a different story as those are common. ;)

Yeah. In Europe, they find gold coins as easy and as common as pulltabs. So from now on: I vote that gold coins from Europe can no longer qualify for banner. Sorry crusader. Tsk tsk. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread