Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad and I failed to adhere to TreasureNet's rules and posted our find on his account. The following is a reupload of my Dad's post. Apologies and thanks to anyone who has already taken the time to leave a comment, like, or banner nomination.

Last week, my son and I went on another “Treasure Coast” trip, this time armed with our new Equinox 800’s.

Our last trip to St. Augustine had me finding the only “old coin”, an 8 Reale, that I was sure was authentic, but my 21 yo son had the opposite opinion. For the last 6 months, I have been hearing it from him about my “lead slug”.

Fast forward to last week. It’s about 11:30 pm on 3/27, and he comes up from behind me and tells me he found a “fake” coin, and not so jokingly accuses me of planting it, so he could have the heart attack/heart break of finding a worthless piece of junk… So, Sam pulls the “coin” out of his junk pouch so we can both give it a better look.

Upon inspection of the coin, its mint appearance gave the impression of a newly minted souvenir, but the coins details were so fine, and weight so heavy, we really did not know what to think. Back at the hotel we researched, compared pictures of actual coins, and did everything we could at 3 am to prove or disprove its origin.

The next morning we went to the West Bay Trading Company in Vero Beach to have the coin seen by folks who know much more than we do. The guys at West Bay were really helpful, determined that the gold content is just under 90%. 21 carat (by all records we found, 87.5 % was what the coin were supposed to be), Both Ron and Scott looked at the coin in disbelief of the condition, and determined that it was indeed genuine, and Scott, with his loop, discovered that the date was an over stamp 1787 over a 6. We were advised to have the coin graded and slabbed, and that is where it sits now.

Needless to say, we had a great trip. The Equinox has proved to be a great, fast, deep machine. Small brass/bronze/copper bits at 8 to 12 inches ring up VERY loud and clear on the wet sand (Beach 2), leaving no doubt that you have a non-ferrous item under the coil. Yes, aluminum rings up as well, but as we all know, that is just the cost of doing business… Battery run time is all of 10 hours plus, the wireless headphones worked well, the backlight on its lowest setting is perfect, and the machine preformed very quietly in the dry sand, and even in the surf. Very happy with the Equinox! -muttandjeeps
Angled Reverse.jpg
Obverse.jpg
Reverse.jpg

Upvote 65

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coin find, congrats on achieving your first BANNER! :occasion14:

Dave

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's probably the best find I've seen so far this year! If I found that coin detecting in an old Spanish area (for example), I would freak out. It's an amazing coin and it's unbelievable how good the condition is on that coin!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my dream find ! congrats ...

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
We (I) messed up, and put it under my regular account, and a moderator posted and stated that it must be posted by the forum member finder......

That’s pretty damn picky. I’ve seen what you did multiple times on here before. Great find!!!

OP
OP
Minkey

Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for comments everyone! It's great to be able to share this find with so many people!

This is the first picture I took when I got back to the hotel room. At this point I still thought it was brass. :tard: We were told by the manger of the hotel (who was wearing a lot of gold) that higher purity gold is darker. Previously my only experience with gold was 10K which is typically much lighter. In the other pictures it has a more orange appearance which I love.
20180328_005217_HDR.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey there Minkey, here's how you clean that: Sandpaper ! Then Ajax and a bead-blaster. It will be very shiny then, guaranteed . :hello2:

OP
OP
Minkey

Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there Minkey, here's how you clean that: Sandpaper ! Then Ajax and a bead-blaster. It will be very shiny then, guaranteed . :hello2:

While I was skeptical of your suggestions at first, I'm pretty happy with the results. Much easier on the eyes now.
31096f.jpg

OP
OP
Minkey

Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing. I dig a lot of colonial silver down here in Louisiana and my dream is to find one of these!!

OP
OP
Minkey

Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing. I dig a lot of colonial silver down here in Louisiana and my dream is to find one of these!!

At the time my biggest aspiration was a modern piece of jewelry or if i was really lucky, a half reale. You never can know for sure! Good luck and thanks!

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st of all I think it's a miracle that you found it at all...Awesome Minkey! Well it's up top where it belongs and it'll be graded and protected from greasy fingerprints and ugly scratches, lol. Good job young man.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the comments had me thinking "wow! - that guys name must be Richard Head".

Great find!!

Not a bad idea to protect that coin, otherwise I would lay out a small quilt before handling it. No reason to be cocky or brazen.

My thought is not "imagine where that coin has been"...but "imagine where that gold has been".
Lots of possibilities...from horrible to fantastic. All the people involved in scraping up the pieces required to make that coin. Probably would make a great tale.

Last edited:

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find, loved the story

olas13

Oct 12, 2004
Rhode Island,USA
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 2,minelab sov., whites surfmaster. tesoro.equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great story and INCREDIBLE coin. Congrats. I vote Banner.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats just crazy. A perfect dream coin to find! [emoji2][emoji106]

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great golden find! Absolutely beautiful.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread