Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
did you try it with the equinox on. I ran the program then turned on the EQ then connected the usb cable to the computer and the update worked.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
yes i ran first the minelab updater then plugged in the equinox turned it on nothing i know my usbs work all other hardware gets recognised

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only other suggestion is to try a different computer to update if possible. Also make sure the contacts on the EQ are clean and have a solid connection to the usb charging cable.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
tried another computer same results I do get the green light on for charging ,could this be the cable?

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its possible

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tried another computer same results I do get the green light on for charging ,could this be the cable?

Many others and myself have had to run the program in compatibility mode- XP service pack 2 for the update to work.

Just for fun, I tried service pack 3 first and it did not work- but sure enough pack 2 did.

Right click the icon for the update exe, select properties, compatibility- click the X box and select XP pack 2 and you should be good to go after that.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Many others and myself have had to run the program in compatibility mode- XP service pack 2 for the update to work.

Just for fun, I tried service pack 3 first and it did not work- but sure enough pack 2 did.

Right click the icon for the update exe, select properties, compatibility- click the X box and select XP pack 2 and you should be good to go after that.
Im running windows 7 if i look for update exe a bunch of files come in, if I turn on the minelab updater and plug in the machine ill wait about a minute then the updater has a post saying not responding.

Attachments

• 20180906_111844.jpg
    20180906_111844.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried a different port? Have you tried the other power cable that came with Equinox, one for detector one for WM8.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to sound like " that guy" Have you rebooted your computer? I work in the AV world heavily in new technologies...and this still seems to be the fix for 80% of our issues.

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After installing the minelab updater I plugged in my machine and its not listed in my computer .I put my usb stick to test in all good, but detector does not come in .Anyone computer savy here that might know how to fix this , Im running win 7 yes i tried turning off the firewall but no connection

I had the same problem last night. It would not load or do anything. Almost as if the firmware was frozen. Tried several things, ie; changed compatibility mode, disabled antivirus, ran as administrator, changed to windows service pack 3, uploaded fresh firmware several times, then finally gave up. Came back this morning, made another attempt, it allowed me to install but came back with "failed" several times. I clicked on "try again" several times and then if finally loaded the update. No rhyme or reason for this, IMO. I'm also running windows 7, 64 bit.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Tried diferent ports , rebooting, wm8 cable made a new account on the computer tried another computer and I still get the same answer (minelab utility not responding) all i can get is a charge blinking green light .Can anyone from minelab chime in here ,can this detector have a defect? maybe it thinks its a knockoff mine lab

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, this is the problem that many of us are having trying to update using Windows 7. As a long time computer engineer/programmer I suspect that this is because the software wasn't thoroughly tested across the various platforms/configurations before release! Minelab is known for releasing buggy software! this is a copy from another site I see im not the only one with the problem

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, mine and my hunting partners Equinox was updated using windows 7 with no problems at all.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok went to a win 10 computer and its now downloading the update Thanks for all who responded

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Worked in IT my whole career. Best OS from Microsoft was MS-DOS and Windows XP and now Windows 10 all others sucked!

So if you want trouble free Windows move to Windows 10, use windows 10 fire wall and purchase Malwarebytes premium bytes for your virus protection.
If you have a PC over 3 years old, get rid of it and buy a new one.

old computers and out of date operating system software = troubles.

rustinail

Apr 10, 2018
Staten Island,N.Y
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
try running the updater in Administrator mode and also the usb cable could be bad or damaged

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did my update tonight using my laptop with Windows 7 profesional the first time got message install failed try again, second time update loaded no problems.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try cleaning the usb cable contacts that mate with the detector if you are getting no response whatsoever from the computer when you plug the powered up detector into the USB port. Windows, at least, should acknowledge that you plugged a USB device in. If neither Windows nor the app recognize that the Equinox has been plugged in, then it points to either a bad USB port or bad USB cable or connection to the detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread