Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Has anyone with the equinox 600/800 had any problems with the pinpointing sticking on when you swing away. Mine has been doing it at times on my last three hunts. You can lift off the target and raise the coil above my head and the pinpoint still screams but a slightly less squeal.

I did pull the cover off today and cleaned it and the coil and took it out to a trash site, and it worked perfect.

Maybe it had a fragment wedged, but that should have caused it to be continuous I would think.

If I cab get to stick on again I will sending it in, just curious if anyone else has had the same happen.

Thanks for any input and happy hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just probably a small piece of dirt in it.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is becoming a common issue with these machines. Ive seen a few users on you tube and on the forums going through this.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Has anyone with the equinox 600/800 had any problems with the pinpointing sticking on when you swing away. Mine has been doing it at times on my last three hunts. You can lift off the target and raise the coil above my head and the pinpoint still screams but a slightly less squeal.

I did pull the cover off today and cleaned it and the coil and took it out to a trash site, and it worked perfect.

Maybe it had a fragment wedged, but that should have caused it to be continuous I would think.

If I cab get to stick on again I will sending it in, just curious if anyone else has had the same happen.

To be clear, do you mean that you can't turn pinpoint off using the pinpoint button or that it sticks on as if you are dead over the target even when you are not. The former is indicative of a failure of the membrane switch that activates pinpoint and requires repair. The latter sometimes happens when the pinpoint locks onto the adjacent ground instead of the target (so everything looks like the "target"). When that happens just hit the pinpoint button twice to cycle pinpoint off and on and try it to pinpoint the target again.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if this is what's happening with your's, but occasionally when I press pinpoint , and lower the coil to suspected target, I would get nothing. Then as I raised the coil, it would sound off. I usually just turn the pinpoint off, and then back on again. Not sure if this happens on other machine's. Didn't on my AT. V, as that what your talking about? "pinpoint locks onto the adjacent ground instead of the target".

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a common problem with my Garrett 2500... sand grains would lodge and keep the pinpoint on.

OP
OP
Inspector

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be clear, do you mean that you can't turn pinpoint off using the pinpoint button or that it sticks on as if you are dead over the target even when you are not. The former is indicative of a failure of the membrane switch that activates pinpoint and requires repair. The latter sometimes happens when the pinpoint locks onto the adjacent ground instead of the target (so everything looks like the "target"). When that happens just hit the pinpoint button twice to cycle pinpointthanks off and on and try it to pinpoint the target again.

Thanks for the reply. The latter is the problem, I can lift the coil above my head and the pinpoint won't clear. The pinpoint switch is working properly as far as turning off/on.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send it back to Minelab.. It won't fix itself. I had the same problem with my 800 after about 100 hours on it.

OP
OP
Inspector

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it back to Minelab.. It won't fix itself. I had the same problem with my 800 after about 100 hours on it.

Thanks for reply, I didn't figure that I was the only one that has had the problem

HH

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Why use the pinpoint??? The detector seems to pinpoint in regular detection mode, possibility better than pinpoint. Dave

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why use the pinpoint??? The detector seems to pinpoint in regular detection mode, possibility better than pinpoint. Dave

Seems like 10% of the time my pinpoint mode sticks. I just press twice to reset and try again. I like the pinpoint mode to mainly determine the size of an object. Lots of buried pipes and other undesirable targets where I hunt.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for reply, I didn't figure that I was the only one that has had the problem

HH

Still not sure you and Norm have the same problem. If I recall correctly, Norm could not get his detector out of pinpoint mode due to a bad switch. (Norm correct me if I am mistaken). What you are describing doesn't sound like the same thing since you can actually get out of pinpoint mode. Nevertheless, you might as well call ML and describe the issue so they can determine whether you should send it in, but honestly, what you have described just sounds like what pinpoint does when it locks onto the ground instead of the target so you just cycle the pinpoint button and try again. I could be wrong as it is hard to diagnose something like that without actually seeing what is going on in person. Good luck.

Kind of beside the point. I understand what you are saying, but if the detector is actually malfunctioning in Pinpoint mode, then it just makes sense to get it repaired regardless of whether there is a viable workaround because there is no telling what else could be affected by the issue that could impact normal detecting.

OP
OP
Inspector

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the replies. I regularly clean the machine and pull the coil cover off and clean. Since my post here I did another thorough cleaning and went out for a four our hunt and the machine worked flawlessly. Pretty sure it must have been a fragment in the coil cover. I will be contacting Minelab anyway just as a future precaution. Thanks again for the input and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread