Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Bazooka Gold Trap 36" Sniper
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This journal is for the equipment I use, including bought and homemade, and upgrades I make to them, to get some of that rare and elusive texas gold.

First off, a disclaimer:

1. I KNOW there is not a lot of gold in Texas, so pointing that fact out is not necessary.
2. I am a disabled man, with no real manufacturing background, so some of my pieces WILL inevitably look shoddy. I understand this.
3. Suggestions are ALWAYS welcome. My imagination is only so good, and I appreciate any ideas others have.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Project 1:
Convert one of my Bazooka Gold Trap's into a Highbanker

I started this project, with the hopes of not being tied down to the stream. Here is a list of materials I started with:

Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper 36" - $165
1200GPH Pump from Walmart - $29.95
1/2" PVC pipe - $5.97
7x 1/2" PVC 90's - $1.75
2x 1/2" PVC Couplings - $0.38
2x 1/2" PVC Ball Valves - $5.90
2x 1/2" PVC T's - $0.58

Total Cost: $209.53 (plus tax)

f8xmFzn.jpg
p60pVKm.jpg
xB5awGt.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got the system built, but the 1200gph pump is just not enough volume.

I will modify the system within the next week or two, to run either 2x 1200gph pumps, or a 1200gph for the bed, and a larger pump for the deck.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
More flow the better! I'm sure Kevin will jump in, as he's got something similar going.
But about Texas, there is some pretty good gold in the state! Don't short yourself, there are a few members that do well down there!

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grizzly, I've found some decent gold, and I know there is a lot more. That comment was to forstall the inevitable "AINT NO GOLD IN TEXAS" posts.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GG is right, you need more pumping action! I wanted mine to be all electric as I can use it in more places. I started with one 1200 gph pump and added a second. Works better (most would say good enough) but I still wish I had more...just not sure I have the battery power to push more gph. FYI, I added a tee to the pump input point and I'm pushing all the flow of both pumps thru the one pipe system, seems fine. Like you I have a valve but it stays wide open so that was a waste of a few bucks. (I'm REALLY cheap! ...well, except when it comes to buying a friend a beer ;-) )

With modest water flow from pumps, be sure to run that sniper pretty flat. If you put much slope on it you'll start losing fine gold due to the lower water flow (weird but true).

Good luck and please do share more...I'm still learning about this too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin!

Do you think I should just add another 1200gph pump, or go whole hog and get a 37gpm gas powered pump?

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Oooo, if regs allow it man most absolutely go for gas!!! The benefit of electric is that many places consider it the same as pans and sluices. Plus they are quiet as church mice.
When battery technology advances a few steps electric will probably be reevaluated. I've been looking into electric as well. The only way I'll jump in is if my idea for a mobile hydroelectric generator works out... Did I just say that?..

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gas is perfectly fine here in TX, BUT, I'm hoping to get out west sometime within the next few months for a week or two, and do some prospecting.

I do not know if it would be allowed where I'm going (partially because I have not solidified where I will be going yet), and don't want to get myself into trouble.

BTW, if yall ever get onto IRC chat, look me up, as I'd love to do some chatting. User name is JACTprinting, and I'm on Freenode quite regularly.

Server: Freenode
Username: JACTprinting
Room: ##Prospecting

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin!

Do you think I should just add another 1200gph pump, or go whole hog and get a 37gpm gas powered pump?

Like GG says, it depends what you are looking to do. I prospect a lot in metro Denver where gas powered gear is unwelcome so I really don't have a choice. Also I far prefer the quiet of electric but that's just me. You do you!

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, as one of the places I want to visit this year to do some prospecting is CO, I guess a second electric pump would probably be the best idea (for now).

Will probably save getting a gas powered pump for a future project.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, I found a 3700gph pump on amazon. Do you think that would be sufficient as a single pump on this? If so, I can repurpose my 1200.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couple years ago I spent $80 for a 2200 and it fills my LeTrap high-banker sluice marginally...meaning minimum water height...meaning 3/4" over riffles instead of 1.5 inches. But, it works as it should regardless...but we all want more power! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couple years ago I spent $80 for a 2200 and it fills my LeTrap high-banker sluice marginally...meaning minimum water height...meaning 3/4" over riffles instead of 1.5 inches. But, it works as it should regardless...but we all want more power! :thumbsup:

Of course we do!

I've never actually tried a LeTrap. Jumped straight from a 45" JOBE YellowJacket, into a bazooka. How's the LeTrap work for you?

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did a little more research on your pump and in Q&A it says it can draw up to 14 amps. I lucked out with my pump...it takes 10 amp and my battery charger is 50/10/2. How would you power something like that in the field? If I get the pump you like, that could be hard wired at home and my 2200 pump could go with me to the grounds. That is...if they ever let me do that. :unhappysmiley:

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking of bringing 2x 30Ah 12v powers port batteries, and a solar charger out to the river with me. That should give me enough power to run for a couple hours at a time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread