Equipment Requests

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good day everyone,

I just wanted to do a quick post about equipment and some requests I've received over the past year or so. I've received numerous emails stating the following, "Hey I like the Bazooka sluice, but it's too expensive, can you build me one for cheaper?" or "I like the Thompson Drywasher, but I can't afford that,can you build me one just like that for less?" Ok here's the deal, I do a fair amount of custom work for people, but I don't and will never copy a "Bazooka" design and sell it for $10 dollars less. My company is built on honesty and ethics and I don't straight up copy another companies design just to make it cheaper. The other reason for this is Bazooka, Thompson, etc have completed many hours of development and testing on their products and they are dialed in. If I copied this it would be a disservice to the original manufacturer and the end customer as I can't make it as good since I don't have all the R&D time in they do on that specific product. Now I know there are only so many ways to build a sluice box, or a highbanker, but my products all have my little twist on them and aren't an exact copy of a Keene, or a Jobe. Now if you need some size that isn't commercially available, or you want to add your own design ideas into your product, I'm more than willing to help. Just think about these things folks, if you find a product that meets your needs and works for your area, just buy it. The original manufacturer has devoted many, many hours to product testing and design they deserve the credit and profit from their hard work.

Sometimes people forget how much work is involved in designing, testing and marketing a product.

Thanks, Chris

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn straight!

Respect, Kevin

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hear Hear Chris! I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! I design, build and fly competition R/C sailplanes and I know how I would feel if someone was to copy my planes that I am planning to sell kits for. There is a TON of design work, fabrication, testing, tweaks, re-design, re-testing etc etc etc that goes into making a product that does a specific task and does it well.

That being said, I hope you don't mind if we still pick your brain for tips on fabricating items from time to time. ;) My daddy always said" If you need to know how to do something RIGHT, ask someone that does that kind of work."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions