Error Coin? And my first ring

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro
Howdy folks! My first post here and I would like to start by saying that this is one of the best boards I have ever visited! I've learned a wealth of knowledge from you here from lurking the past couple months and I thank you all. I finely found something postworthy.
I have hunted mineral rocks in the Rocky Mountains for years now and a friend recently got me into metal/gold detecting. He told me that if I applied myself to detecting as much as I did rock hunting, I would do pretty good. I have mostly hit parks and tot lots and have gotten a small jar of clad going and saved the feet of many by removing the trash from them. My best so far has been a 1919D penny and a 1955 nickle. Nothing to write home about. Till yesterday.
I found my first ring! YAY! :headbang: A purity ring (.925) some young lady lost in a park. Me thinks it my not be the only thing she lost, lol. After congratulating myself I headed over to a small park that has a tree planted in my late father in laws name in it. Maybe Ol' Bill will have something for me. He didn't let me down.
Right next to the tree about 2 inch's down in the grass I dug up a 1975D penny. I knew it was different when I picked it up. Way smaller and fatter than it should be!
I took it home and with soap and water and a toothbrush I carefully cleaned it up.
I have it pictured next to a 1980 penny to show the difference.
The 1980 measures .748 across, the 1975 is just shy of .700 (.699 1/2)
The 1980 measures .057 at the edge, the 1975 is .093.
So I start researching. Check Jim's Coin & Stamps
http://jimscoins.com/error_coin_examples.php
Great examples, but I don't see a match.
Did I find a penny that's worth way more than a penny? :dontknow:
So I'll run it by the experts here. What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Augie

Attachments

• the penny 152.JPG
    the penny 152.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 991
  • the penny 160.JPG
    the penny 160.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 975
  • the penny 159.JPG
    the penny 159.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 984
  • the penny 165.JPG
    the penny 165.JPG
    407.6 KB · Views: 966
  • the penny 167.JPG
    the penny 167.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 968
Upvote 0
OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
OOPS, Picks are kinda big.

Attachments

• the penny 152.JPG
    the penny 152.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 952
  • the penny 160.JPG
    the penny 160.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 961
  • the penny 159.JPG
    the penny 159.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 949
  • the penny 165.JPG
    the penny 165.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 957
  • the penny 167.JPG
    the penny 167.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 938

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
augusthog said:

Welcome, and nice finds!

That penny is mechanically hammers to created the flatted rounded edge. You can also hammer a silver coing to make a nice ring out of it. Not sure if copper shows the writting on the inside of the ring like silver does.. But if that's not a custom job it sure is a unique coin.

OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
If it is a hammer job, they sure did a good job on it!

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FiresEye said:
augusthog said:

Welcome, and nice finds!

That penny is mechanically hammers to created the flatted rounded edge. You can also hammer a silver coing to make a nice ring out of it. Not sure if copper shows the writting on the inside of the ring like silver does.. But if that's not a custom job it sure is a unique coin.

I agree.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
It is a penny that has tumbled around inside a washer or dryer for a long time. When it bounces around while tumbling it keeps impacting on edges and the rim becomes distorted.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick A said:
It is a penny that has tumbled around inside a washer or dryer for a long time. When it bounces around while tumbling it keeps impacting on edges and the rim becomes distorted.
NO!!! Where did ya come up with this one?? :laughing9: Excuse me for a second.............. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: OK..........I'm better now.

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
oddcoins said:
Yeah, not a true mint-made error coin. There's a few different ways a coin will end up like that, but it's definately post-mint damage. It has no value over it's face value.

Neil

http://community-2.webtv.net/oddcoins/NeilMcElroyspagefor

THat's not true( FOR ME)...
t's worth way more than a cent.. Not only because it's old but because it's unique and has a story behind it.

About the dryer story>.. that's not how it probably happened... but yeah something like that.. THere's many ways to mechanically alter a penny like that..
My favorite is the flatten tek. It's amazing how a penny will hammer into a thin shiny copper coin about the size of a USA Eishenhower coin..

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Hi!

Is it possible to reduce the image sizes? Huge files are good in emails but it is hard to really see what's going on what with having to scroll up then back and forth then down then up.

Or is it my browser or is there something I can do here to reduce the images?

Thanks!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
hogge said:
Nick A said:
NO!!! Where did ya come up with this one?? :laughing9: Excuse me for a second.............. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: OK..........I'm better now.
ya that one got me thinking! that its to early in the morning. 412 going back to sleep willy

RebelRod

Greenie
Aug 17, 2010
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 - Bounty Hunter 505 - White's Prizm V - Garrett Propointer
BloodyBelle said:
Hi!

Is it possible to reduce the image sizes? Huge files are good in emails but it is hard to really see what's going on what with having to scroll up then back and forth then down then up.

Or is it my browser or is there something I can do here to reduce the images?

Thanks!

I use a free program called IRFAN. Google it on the net. Very easy to resize using that program.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread