diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I hit another "Estate' sale today. The house belonged to a lady named Teresa James-
http://tinyurl.com/392ov8rhttp://tinyurl.com/34uq26y. She was a pilot in the early days of Womens Aviation. She died at the ripe old age of 94. I'll post some photos of some of the thing that I bought there. This was an all out treasure hunt in this house. I searched through closets and in drawers and cabinets, hell I even searched between the mattresses. The only downside was that we couldn't search the attic or the outbuilding that was blocked by a boat. Included in the finds are some ephemera from her flying career including a signed photograph of ole Bill and Hillary Clinton. A book"Propeller Annie" signed to her by the author Glen Kerfoo,. with a letter he wrote her in reply to whether or not he ever finished his biograpghy of Helen Richie (Propeller Annie) and how he couldn't get a publisher so the only 2 copies are in a shelf in his den and the other went to Helen's daughter. I guess the Kentucky Aviation History Roundtable published a few copies. This book is numbered "Copy No.004 of 250. Also I found a book by written Bob Hope first edition 1942 "They got me Covered," it is also signed on the inside cover by Bob Hope and dedicated to Jessie James which was her husbands nickname, with a neat little inscription which says "Read this while your flying blind...it's funny that way". On the next page attached with a stick pin is another signature of Bob Hope and a couple more signatures that i'm not familiar with yet. The third book I found is also signed and dated by the author and dedicated to John James. The book is entitled "1 of a Kind" by James M. Barker. It is the story of Jimmy Hoffa. I also found a picture cut out mounted on a piece of wood and inscribed "DINK" at the bottom. I did a little research and found out that Dink was George "Dink" Martin and they were married in 1942. He was killed in action in 1944. I guess she made this as a little tribute or momento to remember him by. I also got a jews harp a couple tony the tiger baseballs a P-47 Thunderbolt Pilots Association plate, A reunion mug of the same Assoc.. I found a bag of what I thought were ashes at first then I read the bottom of the bag and it said gold dust put in glass jar on the bottom of the bag. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,321929.0.html Also a bunch of other stuff you can see in the pics. This was all gotten for $20.00 a box times 2 boxes.

Attachments

• estate sale 1.jpg
    estate sale 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 786
  • estate sale 2.jpg
    estate sale 2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 788
  • estate sale 3.jpg
    estate sale 3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 788
  • estate sale bill.jpg
    estate sale bill.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 790
  • estate sale jesse.jpg
    estate sale jesse.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,004
  • estate sale bob.jpg
    estate sale bob.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,013
  • estate sale glenn.jpg
    estate sale glenn.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 784
  • estate sale helen.jpg
    estate sale helen.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 787
  • estate sale dink.jpg
    estate sale dink.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 778
  • estate sale jack.jpg
    estate sale jack.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 782
  • estate sale john.jpg
    estate sale john.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 776
  • estate sale thunderbolt plate.jpg
    estate sale thunderbolt plate.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 780
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple more photos-

Attachments

• estate sale insignia.jpg
    estate sale insignia.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 766
  • estate sale mug.jpg
    estate sale mug.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 768
  • estate sale.jpg
    estate sale.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 761

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is great stuff. Was the estate sale set up those people who do estate sales, I don't know what they are called. The ones I go to have been run thru by the sales people and even the trash is marked for sale. I have seen items from previous estate sales be sold. So good for you on your great finds.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, the lady selling the stuff didn't even look in the boxes we filled up. She just said "ehhh, hows 20 dollars for each box sound"? I said it sounds good, then gave her the money as fast as I could and hightailed it out of there. I actually dug a couple things out of a big green garbage bag while I was there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread