What $15 got me today at a yard sale.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Sorry, I am not even going to bother to try and post pics, I never seem able to to this site. But, we stopped at just one yard sale today and I bought my daughter a duffel bag full.............. yup, I said duffle bag full of legos and megablocks, a mini trampoline, two Disney movies and a Warner Bros. Bugs Bunny movie and my wife an antique sterling silver "pickle serving" spoon. It has holes for the juice to drain off. It weighs over 19 grams, so I know there is nearly $11 worth of silver in the spoon. I think we did pretty well for ourselves. Just too bad my wife wants to keep the spoon. LOL Happy Hunting out there.

T.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What no pics........ :laughing9: :dontknow:

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I took my wife's silver spoon to the flea market today to ask a couple of the vendors who deal in such things what it is worth and both told us $25 to $35. Does anyone know if it would hurt it if she polished it up? Would it hurt the value, ruin it for a collector if she changes her mind about keeping it? Thanks for any help.

T.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the vendors at the flea mart would better know if the spoon would sell better if polished up or not. Some would want it polished up and others would want it to look old. I'd say keep the spoon. What ya gonna do with the money, buy a plastic spoon?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CladSpends2 said:
I took my wife's silver spoon to the flea market today to ask a couple of the vendors who deal in such things what it is worth and both told us $25 to $35. Does anyone know if it would hurt it if she polished it up? Would it hurt the value, ruin it for a collector if she changes her mind about keeping it? Thanks for any help.

T.
It does not hurt the value of silver to polish it up. It is one of the few antiques that a "patina" doesn't apply to. I wouldn't sell it unless I knew exactly what it weighed first. Here is an example of a sterling fork that I sold on ebay a couple weeks ago. I shined it up just enough to sell it.

http://tinyurl.com/24vhrvo

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
It weighs just over 19 grams. It is hers to keep or sell as she sees fit. No big deal, only have 3 or 4 bucks in it, just nice to know we did alright and it is worth a little more. Don't we all just want to get a deal??? LOL T.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I love a good deal.I felt like one of the guys on "American Pickers" yesterday at an estate sale digging through all kinds of good "junk". :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions