Etrac nulls on silver half

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
No expert here, but I'd dump the coin pattern or any pattern (Program) and instead back up on the iron mask little by little to what your ears and mind can tolerate. The less disc you have, the less chance you'll null or not hear a target. And whatever you do have disc'd out in a program........you would have to hope it's nowhere near a good target that you would want to find.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that's why I use a beep/dig machine where I can SEE what the settings are--and use ultra low disc. and dig it all. :)

That sucks about the silver halves. If it's missing some silver halves, what else is the machine missing? The world may never know... :tard:

-Buckles

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Narthoniel said:
Hello,

After a long weekend hunt, a fellow Etrac user and myself came to realize that the Etrac would null on certain silver coins. After much thinking and expirimenting, we realized that the coin pattern discriminates out certain silver. The black line in the top right when removed, allowed the silver coin to be loud and clear. The signal it came in as was 1-46 or 1-47. With the discrimination line there, the coin nulled out. I wanted to pass this along, as we had a very hard time finding any silver larger than a dime all weekend, where other hunters found lots of halves and quarters.

In short, I strongly recommend you edit out the line in the top right so as to accept all high right targets.

Anthony

Anthony Im told Minelab put that upper discrim line in for hot rocks. Its removed easily enough.

Neil

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I opened up a strip from 10-14 ferrous running straight across to cond 40 the opened up from there to top right of screen all the way, gives you a pattern like an L on its back works fine will get coins on edge fine. Seeya Neilo :thumbsup:

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Iron Patch said:
EZrider said:
Iron Patch said:
Narthoniel said:
The coin in question was a Franklin half. The coin was placed in the gorund on edge, and then I took it out, laid it flat on the ground, and ti still nulled. There was nothing else in the ground to interfere. We had 2 different Etracs, and both nulled on it. Once the small line on the top right was gone, the trac sang like a canary.

Why use a pattern in the first place, you're letting someone else decide what you dig! Makes no sense, just hype to sell detectors.

Then why bother useing a discrim detector? Why not go die hard and use a PI on land and dig it all?

If you ever have the chance try it, I did, it's one of those ideas that's good in theory but brutal in reality.
Hey Bob,
I'm no expert in PI, but from what I gather, there is little to no discrimination and not much in the way of Target ID. The Explorers/E-Tracs have very good target ID using either the smartscreen, digital screen and the sounds of course. I think the best idea is to use as little discrimination as possible while enjoying the benefit of being able fairly accurately ID and dig a signal that was not missed because of too much discrimination.

For people who are new with the Explorer/Tracs, I don't think it's a bad idea to use a default pattern in order to make things easier, but as experience is gained, the best thing you can do is pull back on mask little by little. There is no question in my mind that there is alot of targets to be missed when using intricate patterns or too much use of disc with the Minelabs........and for any detector for that matter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread