Europe update

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Well, no luck in Germany, though i didnàt spend much time in Berlin, and the other town we visted (Berchtesgaden) was relatively small. Italy however looks more promising, as long as I can get used to the Italian keyboard. Found a 1967 Kennedy half in Venice, though they were asking 10 Euros for it. extremely odd that the keyboard here has signs for $ and £, but not euros.

Currently in Florence, and found a Numismatic shop that opens shortly. In the window I saw a lot of silver coins - all foreign - and a lone 1880 Morgan Dollar. I did bring along my magnifier and a magnet, so hopefully iàll be able to tell fake from real, but it looks promising. Will update when I can

HH in the US without me!

FT

Upvote 0

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 euros for a 40%??!!
You should asked them how much they paid to buy up from you.

Any luck CRH in Europe?

UNIVBFan

Apr 2, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Was just in Paris with my wife and walked by a bunch of coin shops. Wanted to go in, but the wife was on a mission to get somewhere so I didn't push it. All I ended up getting coin-wise out of the trip was some Euros for my personal collection (have a book trying to get one of each type per country, not worried about dates). Also picked up some 2 euro coins for the kids I coach, as a souvenier.

Good luck with the rest of your trip.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I know my friend went to a dealer in Koln and he got some Canadian proofs under melt. He is going back this year, so he is planning to get some more coins.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Update on the update. The 1880 Morgan had no mintmark, but they had plenty of other Morgan and Peace dollars, plus a 1976 silver Kennedy half that looked to be uncirculated. I didnàt ask the price on the Kennedy, but they wanted 25 Euros for all the silver dollar coins; current melt value as near as i can figure it is 14 Euros. I may go back and bargain, as it,s next to the hotel, but not holding my breath. still need to look up some of the datesò - they had an 81-S, 85-O, and an 89-O, among others. They had an absolute TON of silver coins from other countries, and a smattering of American Silver Eagles.

Ahh, just checked coinstudy.com, looks like nothing much over melt value. <unfortunately, neither the owner nor the clerk appear to speak any english, though the owner appears to understand some. If nothing else, Iàm going to try to explain to him how much theyàre Worth, and hopefully heàll lower his prices for someone else, if not me.

I took pictures of the coin in the window, as well as of the coin shop. unfortunately, iàm on a borrowed (hotel) computer, and havenàt the foggiest idea how to download/post the pics. Will definitely do so once i return; getting the itch to CRH already. Being in countries that have absolutely zero chance for old coins in their rolls is frustrating, as the Euro is only what 10 or 11 years old? :censored:

Will keep plugging away. Iàll update again if i score anything here. next stop is Rome, then back to the USA, where iàll kiss the ground! Nothing against Europe - itàs a great place, but thereàs nowhere like home.

HH!

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Former Teller, would it be possible that some of the older, rural banks, just have some of the older coin sitting around the bank?

I seriously doubt it. I believe they had a certain date to turn in all the old currency they had, to Exchange for Euros. Any old currency held after that date I believe became worthless. Somebody correct me if i m wrong.

UNIVBFan

Apr 2, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I seriously doubt it. I believe they had a certain date to turn in all the old currency they had, to Exchange for Euros. Any old currency held after that date I believe became worthless. Somebody correct me if i m wrong.

Looks like Feb. 2012 was the last time you could exchange French francs for euros, and that was bills. Coins were before that.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey FT, good luck finding some goodies... I don't know if you're a coin collector like myself, but if I were to travel to europe, I would love to bring back a few bank wrapped rolls of euro/eurocent coins(kinda like MWR's here in America)... The CRH'er in me would want to open them, but I would like to keep them unopened. Just a thought.

I like collecting foreign coin rolls, I have a few sealed bank rolls from the phillipines and an aluminum 10 groschn roll from austria :) http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mTg3qYXYQrd8LNancBqPTZw.jpg

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Update on the update. The 1880 Morgan had no mintmark, but they had plenty of other Morgan and Peace dollars, plus a 1976 silver Kennedy half that looked to be uncirculated. I didnàt ask the price on the Kennedy, but they wanted 25 Euros for all the silver dollar coins; current melt value as near as i can figure it is 14 Euros. I may go back and bargain, as it,s next to the hotel, but not holding my breath. still need to look up some of the datesò - they had an 81-S, 85-O, and an 89-O, among others. They had an absolute TON of silver coins from other countries, and a smattering of American Silver Eagles.

Ahh, just checked coinstudy.com, looks like nothing much over melt value. <unfortunately, neither the owner nor the clerk appear to speak any english, though the owner appears to understand some. If nothing else, Iàm going to try to explain to him how much theyàre Worth, and hopefully heàll lower his prices for someone else, if not me.

I took pictures of the coin in the window, as well as of the coin shop. unfortunately, iàm on a borrowed (hotel) computer, and havenàt the foggiest idea how to download/post the pics. Will definitely do so once i return; getting the itch to CRH already. Being in countries that have absolutely zero chance for old coins in their rolls is frustrating, as the Euro is only what 10 or 11 years old? :censored:

Will keep plugging away. Iàll update again if i score anything here. next stop is Rome, then back to the USA, where iàll kiss the ground! Nothing against Europe - itàs a great place, but thereàs nowhere like home.

HH!

You should look at his foreign:

Silver Coins | CurrencyDebasement.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread