Evaluation of the coin cut in 2 or 3 !

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends
smile.png

I have a question...
For example there is a unique coin, I mean really unique... exists only one in the world, which costs(evaluated) for example 30000USD and it is in one of the well known museums.

If someone finds the same type coin but cut in 2 or 3 parts... so the coin is half or the third of the original coin, how the price of the coin which is in the museum change? or will it change?

question 2: Would be the price of the found coin (despite it is half or third) be approximately the same as the one in the museum ? or will it be half or the 3rd of its price?

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way to know... it would have to go to auction. $30,000 might seem like a lot, but it's just just a drop in the bucket when you're talking an extremely rare American coin in a high grade. Now if the museum one was in poor condition, it would probably help your cause, because a high grade one of the same coin would probably hit $150,000 or some other crazy big number. It's really hard even speculating on this because without knowing the coin, we don't know if there's varieties, or just one type... and of course one type is better because you know what you have.... but a cut piece you might be missing key information a collector would want. It all comes down to demand, and even if there's only one that exists that doesn't always mean there's huge interest. Anyway those are just some general thoughts, but as i said without knowing what the coin is, and the rarity and grade of the one in the museum, it's impossible to add much more.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It won't effect the "price" of the one in the museum as it's probably not for sale, anyway. And it is still the only known whole coin of that strike.

Too many variables to value based on the info. It's assumed the date is showing in the piece that remains. Then there is the other handling wear that may reduce the grade. It's worth what someone may offer.

If that one known is a crisp mint proof and the piece is barely identifiable - maybe 1/100th the value or less. Half that to a coin dealer.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever someone is willing to pay for it would be my best guess.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one more note: Let's say, the half coin (or the third) is fully identifiable and the grade(grade of strike) is the same as of the one in museum...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get a more "reality based" answer you might suggest a particular type of coin since it's all so hypothetical anyway - I don't think
you need to be quite this cagey - (you haven't confessed to committing a crime here !)

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For example it is Medieval European or Greek or Asian coin of ultra rare type.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For example it is Medieval European or Greek or Asian coin of ultra rare type.

Still comes down to the demand, but is it a hammered coin or cast? Is it a clean cut, or a broken fragment. What makes the museum one worth 30k, condition or rarity, or a combination of both? How do you know the value? Do they actually state in the museum it is the only one? Is it listed in reference books?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh boy. Now we can fun showing "only known example" coins.

Here's one: Emesa, 194 AD +/-

normal_RI_064qo_img.jpg

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for all your comments.
I guess it really depends on many conditions... and on the seller and the buyer...

Good luck to all and wish that all of us (including me :) ) find coins with value at least 30K :)

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Treasure Grabber; I believe the one in the Museum would retain it's value unless there is a renewed spike of interest in this coin due to the finding of a 2nd piece of the same strike which would hint that there are definitely other strikes of that coin out there somewhere. This renewed interest in the Good coin could thus be increased due to a greater demand for it.
On the cut coin I think it would have some value even if minimum due the curiosity it has created. Other than that I don't think that it would hold any value other than as a curio piece ok. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions