Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I caried a weapon most of my life due to the line of work I was in and I feel naked without it. I am so use to it it's like any other piece of my wardrobe. I wouldn't go out without my pants would I? Well, not yet anyway, my dementia isn't that far progressed! :o For the most part I try to avoid trouble and have never had to make use of that particular tool. A couple of incidents have been avoided by the bad guys just knowing I wasn't defenseless. In spite of my bravado talk I would resort to deadly force only as a last resort in the gravest of circumstances and I hope that never occurs.

C

cachenut

Its odd but a lot of us like to hunt in peace. To hunt without everyone staring at us as they go by. Or acting like we are criminals. I think part of this is the trash talk from archaeologists who have dissed our hobby for years. They don't bother you beyond irritating by staring. Go with a friend and it won't bother you much. In all my years no one has ever called a cop but a few came over to challenge my permission. I was friendly and tried to make friends instead of bugging them and it worked.

If it bothers me I find a wooded spot to search. Few if any can see you in the woods.

Jewelry in the city. Well if you can find restaurants or bars with gravel or dirt parking lots this is good. Or the front grassy yards of old restaurants is a great place to find reings earrings etc ... Lots of guys take them off just as they hit the door. Wedding rings I mean.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a coincidence I am sure but twice since this post has come out I have been stalked by the village idiot! Seems if there is a person in the neighborhood that is a brick shy of a load they naturally migrate to someone in the park with a metal detector. Usually they look over your shoulder and try to talk to you even though you are wearing headphones and can hardly make out what they are saying. This of course ruins your concentration. The last guy just would not leave and followed me around eating a bagel and drooling pop down his chin. Finally I gave up and went to another location. These folks are harmless but they sure get on your nerves. I told one of them that there was a reward for some lost money last seen over by the trash cans and he went over and took everything out of the trash can and put it all back nice and neat. My wife said that was cruel but it got him out of my hair for a while and he thought it was exciting. Oh well...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, had some young rapscallions in a fit of buzzed stupor come by once.
"Hey man, you find my lighter, hehe haha?"
Sez I, "Was it that gold cased Harley Commemoritve Zippo with the nice stones on it?" (A usual or similar response to all such queries)
"Uhh, YEAH! Yeah man, you got it?"
"Never saw it."

Yeah sure they always end up tossing some rocks or asphalt chunks or curses at you once they assume they are a safe distance, but safe distance is relative to my desire to respond. Have some fun.

Was detecting next to a golf course in the park and these guys were taking pot shots at me from about 50 yrds. Heard one whiz by way too close. Stepped behind a field sign and had several balls I had picked up, returned them all down the course on the green when they were approaching one of the holes, really upset them. Eh, they got a one finger salute and then they ambled off.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Only had one problem with frisbee golfers in a public park, disc came close and landed, just scrobbed it good with coil to see if anything was underneath. They got a little upset and I almost showed them what a par 15 shot was like.

J

JBEIA

The worst thing that happened was a homeless guy started folling me around asking me alot of questions...made me very nervous so I left. Then another time I was hunting a construction site when a truck with two of the guys working there pulled up, I thought I was going to get chewed out but the guy started telling me how he always thought of getting a detector. Then he told me about a bunch of sites that I should check out. Other than that time I have only had curious kids and adults with the above mentioned questions.

PS. ALways carry a notepad and pen, you never know when someone will give you a good lead.

JBE_IOWA

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a local school a few weeks ago, had a couple car loads of teenagers driving by screaming and cussing at me , just being very obnoxious. I just ignore them.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Ever get yelled at/harassed? Well, yeah. I've been married for 13 years!!! ;D

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
hey I am with you guys on carrying a gun, you never know what can happen! for the most part I always have a gun on me or close by and I am a big guy, not afraid of an old fashioned fist fight If I have to defend myself but unfortunantly there are a LOT of crazy people out there and sometimes you just need more.
If I am somewhere detecting where guns arent allowed, I conceal my kel-tec 9mm on me and If I am in the woods or somewhere I can have a gun I carry my 45 with 4 clips total and I hope I never have to use a gun to protect myself but if a situation becomes life or death I figure I atleast have a chance
HERE IS ONE EXAMPLE OF WHY I CARRY A GUN, THIS IS ONLY 1 OF MANY BUT THIS IS THE MOST RECENT

About a Month ago while out detecting with my brother on his 120 acres we came across a guy on his property who my brother has caught hunting and asked to leave several times ( SHERRIFF AND GAME WARDEN HAVE BEEN CALLED 3 TIMES ALREADY)
He has a beer in his one hand and 1 in each pocket of his hooded jacket and a rifle with a scope on it, his wife is with him and she has a beer in her hand and they both are pretty rude and apparently intoxicated, she even informs us she has a .38 in her jacket, well anyhow after a few words being thrown back and forth and my brother telling them to get off the property and told them both he was calling the warden, they left. like I said earlier would never use a gun unless my life depended on it but I did feel much better with my 45 on my waist that day!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah, one time I was threatened with harassment charges at work. I looked at a the boss and said, "Harassment?, Well I don't know what harassment but it she did all her talking with it!"

Okay, so you've got to say it to yourself a couple times outloud to get it. You kow, her ... meant?

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I'll go to that class so I can carry my gun. Silly, I know but I"m petrified of the forest so when ever I go artifact hunting I'm usally running throught creek by the time I'm done! ;D Mostly I'm worried one of the sows will tear me up, I can't take the dogs down there cause hogs eat dogs in a hurry. My little gun would make me feel so much better. As for town, I'll just have to wait on a babysitter. Do any of you take your little ones with you? Sara

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see where ferral (sp?) hogs could be a serious problem. There are none in the areas I am familiar with but they are found in various places in the woods. They can be very agressive and dangerous even to adults under the right circumstances. If such a problem exists in your area there are usually any number of hog hunters who would gladly come and dispatch them just for the meat and the right to hunt them. Contact your local wildlife management people and any gun/hunting club and you should find some help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread