Ever have an embarrassing moment in this hobby?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of those non-stellar days today. Not "bad", just not stellar. I did however turn up an old war nickel in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, I managed to scratch it right across the face. (rookie mistake).

I moved on and was semi-gridding the place. On the way back to the car, I turned up another war nickel. About the same shape, was right on top, and when I looked a little closer, it had a scratch also. Hmmmmm, interesting. Right across the face too! Almost exactly where I....................wait a minute!!! I checked my found pouch. No nickel. I had just found the same one, TWICE!!! oH! HOW embarrassing!!!! LOL

Thought if anyone else out there had done this, they would now not feel so bad. :)

HH!

Upvote 70

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
One day, sirens and lights blaring down the highway, the cops make their exit at the Duncan Doughnuts, wheeling in like crazy. The place was actually being robbed! :laughing7:
No doughnuts were harmed in the aprehension of the suspect. :laughing7:

I'm amazed, that while water detecting, NO ONE advised me, my bathing suit top had fallen askew! :o

Like some smart man is going to walk up an say "Shucks Lady, your' top is down and showing off your' pretty chest"!!:dontknow: Well at least I would have and then dreaming the rest of the night and the next few days.:icon_biggrin:

Frank

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I had shared my embarrassing moment post in this thread, but I didn't see it so I'm sharing with you. In fact this same "moment" was brought up again just the other day and it happened 6 years ago. Some people just like to rub it in. Oh, the a$$ is standing for "Abandoned Spouse Society", a group of spouses sitting around while their spouses were participating in a hunt thought up this name. Here's my story, it wasn't funny then, very embarrassing after the fact. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/71633-i-found-cache-mystery-solved.html

Last edited:

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I was hunting barely a foot off a busy street and contemplated that you lose two things when you really start to metal detect seriously. That is your modesty in public due to all the equipment and clunky headphones attached to your head and being sensitive to people harassing you.

Very true. I have a lot of anxiety issues and when starting out was anxious about people staring at me or asking me questions, but after a couple years I don't mind or get all worried!

Most of my embarrassing moments involve my knee being planted right on the headphone wire, then standing and ripping them plus my glasses off my head.

Maybe not embarrassing to me, but what I thought was a very embarrassing find that I almost threw away: Found a really cool pin labelled "2004 NAMBA National" with a picture of a speedboat and California, waves, etc. Well, I immediately thought it was NAMBLA and was disgusted; also wondering why the speedboats and such?! UGH! Thankfully I didn't toss it and googled. It's a North American Model Boat Association pin. They should maybe thinking about changing their name!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND- Yes I was impressed at the distance my detector could detect my scoop! Pirate chest look out here I come! Lol!

Heepiepow- I also have been assaulted in the field (beach) by my equipment! Done the "pulled my headphones off my head " thing. I have also had the headphone cord snag on something then come whipping back and smack me in the face, ouch! All witnessed by the general public!

People if you have gone longer than usual in a trashy area with out a signal...check your detector because something IS wrong! My jacket sleeve had turned my sense knob all the way down, I could have been walking on beaches of silver and not heard a peep! This went on for 20 minutes!!!!

I also have had people (usually tourist) take pictures of me detecting, in unflattering positions, I can't kneel to dig, bad knees, so I bend. Ya bad mental image! I am sure somewhere on the web is a shot or several of my backside while detecting the beach! Sheesh!

Last edited:

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my dad and I always joke with each other while detecting. We were out one day on a group hunt among professional and veteran diggers and he rips his pants all the way from the waist down. I die laughing at this and called it a day. Next group hunt comes along and we are once again among pros and veterans. I am digging out a percussion cap and what do I hear? A huge ripping sound. I now have A huge rip from my waist to my ankle so here I am standing In my underwear among all these other diggers embarrassed (although the breeze felt great in the 84 degrees weather) Worst part was it was in the woods. Those woods happened to be filled with poison ivy. Can you take a guess as to what I had the next day? You know what they say about karma.

Then there was the time I got stuck waist deep in a mud pit and I had to have the owner of the property come dig me out.

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Until a couple of years ago, I hadn't relic hunted since the 70s (With a metrotech!). I get the bug and buy a Tesoro Tejon after reading many reviews. I buy cheap headphones and am dissatisfied and immediately order Grey Ghost phones. The VERY FIRST HUNT with my new phones, and only about the third with the Tejon I get a good signal in a trench. It's half under a fallen tree, heavy, but light enough to lift with some effort. I lay the machine down, pick up the free end of the tree and heave it clear . . . or tried. The roots were still better than I thought, so the tree rises to full straight, then comes BACK down, this time headed straight for my Tejon! Way too heavy to "catch" and I'm off balance so all I can do is lunge for the detector and sort of "power-swipe" at it to throw it aside. My hand misses the shaft but catches the headphone cord which DOES hurl the detector out of the way . . . but the grey ghost phones hit a sapling, and the momentum of the Tejon going in one direction, and the "immoveable force" of the sapling snatch the wires right out of the headphones and the detector is saved, but with a useless wire attached where my new Grey Ghosts WERE. Last thing I see are my headphones sailing over the trench toward the creek, with the wire only attached to the detector!

I was more than a little outdone, as you can imagine. My hunting buddy who had only gone with me like ONCE before looks at me, wondering if I'm going to laugh or cry or throw a fit. I just sit down on that blasted tree and say "Dag NABBIT!"

My buddy walks over, picks up the headphones, examines them and says, "I've always wanted cordless headphones."

PS - Called Grey Ghost, they let me talk to a tech who told me exactly how to reattach the wires. Good guys, they were. Still using them today!

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a new one that happened this past Saturday. My friend and I met up to go detecting at this old house in the woods. It was a bout a 1/4 mile walk down there from where we parked. As we arrived, I told him how I almost left the house without even packing my digger and how that would have been bad. We proceed to grab our stuff and walk to the house. After arriving at the house, I started getting my stuff out and realize I left the digger in the car! :BangHead: Luckily for me he had a spare in his backpack.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While in full hunting mode head phones and all, stumbled a crossed a frisky couple doing their business. I slowly walked away either embarrassment and curiosity at the same time. :laughing7::find::angel3:

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, every time I detect on the beach. It's a long drive down and a lot of coffee. 30 minutes into detecting, I just gotta go! I find a semi secluded corner somewhere, I look both ways- not a soul in sight, that is, untill the SECOND I'm going, the people just come from all angles.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While in full hunting mode head phones and all, stumbled a crossed a frisky couple doing their business. I slowly walked away either embarrassment and curiosity at the same time. :laughing7::find::angel3:

Where was your video camera when you needed it!?

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably at Dalton Georgia at Dug Gap where when we had come out of the woods , I followed my partner out of the woods. When we finally got to the road where the truck was parked , we had to scale down a huge 20 steep , dirt cliff / bank. There was no easy way of coming off of there. I let my detector and digger slide / fall first then I attempted to slide down on my stomach. Wrong ! LOL It was going to be " a controlled fall" Wrong ! It was a 20 foot fall / tumble off of a cliff ! I didnt break any bones but was sore for a week. My partner was small and nimble and had no problem. Me , over 6 ft and at 275 , it was very ugly ! And my partner when into a laughing fit where he just laid on the ground and could not stop laughing.

Did a canoe trip between Ringgold Georgia and Graysville to scout for fords. It was a pleasant 12 mile canoe trip with our detectors and a big white , fat fluffy dog sitting in the middle. We came to a small rapid with a 4 foot drop. I increased the speed of the canoe so we would sort of jump the ledge ! Wrong ! We got stuck on the rock ledge ...and then we looked up and there was a hornets nest about 2 foot from our heads ! Oh hell ! I decided it was time to get wet ! I jumped out of the canoe into the water and pushed the canoe on over the ledge. The hornets paid us no mind and we found a very small rebel picket post that day. A few nice enfields and a couple of nice rebel buttons. Not a bad day !

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After finding out the hard way that my Garrett Pro-Pointer was USELESS in and around salt water, I decided to get a Vibra-Quatic 2 PI pinpointer from Kellyco. I had been watching some YouTube vids on minimizing damage to the ground so I ordered a probe at the same time.

Two weeks later I went to the Post Office on base and presented the slip to the mail clerk for my package. He came back a few minutes later and was looking at me really, really strange and said very sarcastically, "Here's your package big boy." I wondered what the heck was wrong with him.....:dontknow:

I got to my Jeep and looked at the packing list on the customs form. Under contents it said, "Vibra-Quatic 2" and "Longer Stronger Probe".
Everything suddenly became clear. :laughing7:

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this is as funny but did hurt my metal detecting pride I decided to dig around my family's orchard got a high tone beep dug it was a bag of at least $10 worth of modern coins I'm thinking wow something kind of neat showed my younger brother he tells me oh I mom told me it would be funny if you buried that to see if I'd find it I guess it'd been out there for months apparently mu mother felt bad that I never find anything what a goofy family I have gotta love family lol

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nothing embarrassing happened while treasure hunting.

:)

Last edited:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this is as funny but did hurt my metal detecting pride I decided to dig around my family's orchard got a high tone beep dug it was a bag of at least $10 worth of modern coins I'm thinking wow something kind of neat showed my younger brother he tells me oh I mom told me it would be funny if you buried that to see if I'd find it I guess it'd been out there for months apparently mu mother felt bad that I never find anything what a goofy family I have gotta love family lol

My brother used to do that sort of thing. Every time, I would encourage him (and keep the change.)

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't detecting at the time, just scouting/exploring a wooded area of an old riverside park with a friend who also detects. Anyway, we were walking through the woods a bit, heads down scanning the gravel for artifacts/fossils and then we heard some rustling and looked up. It was a frisky couple doing their business... and both were men. What we saw cannot be unseen.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions