530.4 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I haven't. How thick is it? Pretty cool piece in that they made it out of pottery to their own design. Wonder if it was painted at one time?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like part of an effigy pot than a pendant, but that may just be how I'm seeing it. Cool piece.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like part of an effigy pot than a pendant, but that may just be how I'm seeing it. Cool piece.

Not a pot. Its maybe 1/4 inch thick except around the hole where it is twice that thick.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Reminds me of a spindle whorl with big notches ?

That's kind of what I see there as well. Palestine might be on the edge of where the Caddo peoples were, but they made a lot of creative pottery things (pots with frills and adornos, spindle whorls, etc.) but I haven't seen any pottery pendants.

But Gar has it in hand, so I'd trust what he's seeing.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of what I see there as well. Palestine might be on the edge of where the Caddo peoples were, but they made a lot of creative pottery things (pots with frills and adornos, spindle whorls, etc.) but I haven't seen any pottery pendants.

But Gar has it in hand, so I'd trust what he's seeing.
Well I can't swear what it was used for but I can say it is complete except for the top ring where the hole is. Never seen anything like it.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO it looks like maybe the tail off of some type of effigy pot. If there is no wear signs in the hole from a string it not something that was worn on a string. Cool find and I would say Caddo.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its probably caddo. Its not part of a pot. The flat edge by the hole is not breakage. That's a straight finished edge. The only breakage is the top loop of the hole. Less than and inch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread