Ever seen an axe like this?

brandywine

Jan 31, 2010
Hello good citizens,

I found these items in an Amish tobacco field. I hope to hit it again when they plow this spring! All this stuff was found within a twenty sq. yard area in about an hour! Aside from the horse hardware that comes from a harness, it was a pretty good hunt.
My question? What about this 3/4 grove axe? the groove has a slant and I havent been able to locate a similar design anywhere. Perhaps some of you have a book with a like modle and an aproximate age.

I have enjoyed this forum a great deal and I am sure that with our impending snow storm this weekend ( north east) I will be surfing all of the past posts from 06 and beyond...and loving it!

Thanks guys!

Mark
www.markdance.com

Attachments

• Finds axe 6-24-09.JPG
    Finds axe 6-24-09.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 512
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Slant Groove axes are not uncommon. I am surprised you didn't find any examples.

Joel

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark welcome to artifacts. I am going to let some of the more knowledgable chip in on your axe. Its a nice find for sure. Also enjoyed checking out your gallery some nice work in there. Have fun and happy huntin.
TnMountains

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat stuff, Mark.

The piece you're calling an axe is very puzzling to me. Especially that the groove isn't colored (red ochre ?) the way the face it's worked into is.

I suspect it may have been another type of tool than an axe. (?)

OP
OP
B

brandywine

Jan 31, 2010
I have joked with my buddies that the shape of the relic is almost a phalic symbol.

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
looks like you have 1/3 of an axe,your missing another piece with the groove like yours and the bit. might have been a full groove

dblski

Mar 18, 2009
What about the two odd white pieces of flint in the bottom right? They are very strange looking and the one looks like a bird effigy without the head. Any thoughts on those?
Jake

OP
OP
B

brandywine

Jan 31, 2010
Here are a few more of the axe. I do think it is 3/4 groove as youu can see in this photo the groove terminates just before it reaches the top. This couldnt be seen in the first photo. Ive never seen one this thin and if only it had the rest of the piece it would seem really long. I only have some of the basic books on relics.

The white pieces at the botton are broken bits that are washed out in the photo making them look like one piece. Sorry for the bad photo on that.

Anyhow, I know that this is nothing to get to exited about when compaired to the magnificent stuff you guys have out there. It seems that you cats out in Ohio, Kansas and TX are very blessed with extrordinary quality material. I'm contemplating packing up and coming out there! But i have to be here when the kids get off the bus.

Any help on finding a history for this design is greatly appreciated.

Mark

Attachments

• axe close up of groove.JPG
    axe close up of groove.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 363
  • other side axe.JPG
    other side axe.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 366
  • end view axe 2.JPG
    end view axe 2.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 363
  • side  axe 1.JPG
    side axe 1.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 343

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
yep with those new pics it looks like a 3/4 made on a river cobble that only needed a groove and bit worked into it

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I'd have to agree with Jeff a's opinion, looks like the plow or something took a chunk or two off it. I checked out your gallery of paintings, I'm partial to the landscapes...nice work, I like your impressionistic style.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Mark, cool axe, I just hope to find one someday. I really enjoyed your gallery, those are some nice paintings!

naturegirl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread