Ever Wonder How Old We Metal Detector Hobbiests Are? Well, Lets Find Out............

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
58 this coming February. I love history, especially the Civil War and treasure hunting in the swimming holes. Closest I will ever come to looking for pirate treasure in the ocean's is looking for jewelry and coins in the swimming holes. Oldest find to date out of a swimming hole is an 1853 seated dime. 58 and going on 17 depending on how much 8 year Old Charter I have had...d2

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
-Garrett AT-PRO, Ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the swimming holes too but never got a coin that old in a swimming hole. Great job!

Duckman Willcox

Sep 20, 2015
SouthTexas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, XP Deus, Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 71 and a heart transplant candidate. I have a pump in my chest right now that requires about 7 lbs of batteries and controller to keep me going. I was metal detecting before the heart problem, but now MDing a lot more for exercise and weight control. The controller beeps when the batteries get low so I have other beeps and batteries to worry about that are more important than a coin beep.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
44 here I'm a history buff and love digging relics and old coins out of the ground. Parks and heavy traffic areas don't interest me much. If you want to find me I'll be in a plowed field or woods where I did some research and a house or something use to be there. Good luck everyone.

coinBOSSfinder

Nov 27, 2014
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bountry Hunter, Now AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really enjoy metal detecting, why? Cause it shows history, dirty coins, clean coins. Doesn't matter. It's all about the fun!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
44, because it's like being able to pull the handle on a slot machine all day long for free. A slot machine filled with trash, and one gold ring.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Older than time and younger than the stars..... :laughing7: :notworthy:

lifebeginsat40million.jpg

You should know not to ask a lady her age. :laughing7:
I've hit the 1/2 century mark, but let's just say, I'm 29 + postage and handling...... :laughing7:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
49 going on ..... well .....49! I received my first metal detector from my Grandpa when I was 12 IIRC. It was a Radio Shack put-together kit and could barely find a quarter right underneath the coil:laughing7: I really wish my Grandpa was still here to see how the technology has progressed. He was an electrician by trade but a gadget guy at heart. I must have some of that gadget blood in my veins. As I have gotten older, I really enjoy the historical aspect of the hobby. I think that metal detecting would be a great tool in teaching history to kids. I also think that we detectorists have a little(or a lot) of "Indiana Jones" in us. We are always on the hunt for treasure, whether it be old coins, relics, gold etc.
MD'ing is relaxing to me. When I am out hunting, I am caught up in the moment; not thinking about anything except what the next target may be. It is a great hobby and one day when I see my Grandpa again, I will thank him for introducing me to it........ and this uncureable addiction that I have had for 10+ years:laughing7:
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy the food but enjoy the ones you are with even more:icon_thumright:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit 59 this month, started detecting when I was 11, I built a BFO detector from a plan in a electronic mag my dad had. He was real proud of me until he found out I cut the handle off his new rake to use on the detector :dontknow: It was good at finding the files and pennies I buried in the yard.
But I never did find that stolen strong box filled with gold coins, still looking though.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
51 here, just like finding stuff. I like going out, while MD I also search for wild mushrooms and take some photos of nature. Hope to beach detect one day.

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 31 days I will be 68 or as i like to say "Old enough to know better young enough to not give a damm" I have been detecting since my 10th anniversary and I'm coming up on 47 years of a happy marriage. Don't detect as much as I like as I'm still working and have too many hobbies including boating,crabbing and fishing the Chesapeake bay. I'm thinking of retiring again (3rd time) Seamaster.jpg

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
45. Got my first Detector for my 10th bd. I don't get out much due to work and life's commitments. But when I can it is mostly for some quiet time for myself. Finding something old that was in the possession of someone many years ago is exciting. Finding the past.

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 21 and love this hobby. My grandfather got me in this hobby probably around when I was 12 or so we used to go to the park and metal detect after that I was hooked.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im 54- still working but do md in winter most of the time due to lack of work--- cant seem to make a living at it though-maybe buys a cup of coffee at the local dinner!

ogoat

Dec 2, 2015
Arvada, Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm 51, always have loved relics, just bought my first detector! Always wanted a detector but time, money etc wasn't right, finally decided time was running out and the money was available!

Rodnreelerr

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,,,, Garrett Pro PinPointer,,,Garrett 250 ace w/ dd 81/2 x 11 coil
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just started, but I have always wanted to scan the beaches and now I am,,at the ripe old age of 52!,,lol happy hunting:occasion14:

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
45 but am still a foolish kid mentally. As long as I can remember, I've enjoyed playing "finders keepers". Back in the 1970's I'd find and collect lost toys, change, tools, interesting rocks and other trinkets. I received my first metal detector as a Christmas present in 1980 and it opened up a new world of treasure hunting to me. I'm still obsessed after all these years and enjoy every hunt even if I just end up with trash and pennies. Happy hunting!

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
65.5 lol enjoy the great outdoors meeting people in the hobby :occasion14:

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
61. I like magic. That is what it seems like to see through dirt. Then there is the suspense of I think it might be this or that, but what is it really. I pull it from the ground and wonder what was it. I get to spend time outside with my favorite companion, my dog, (Sometimes she helps me dig). In a way it is like meditation, clearing the mind and thinking of nothing in particular. I think that being able to talk to people that you don't already know is also a gift. They stop by because they are curious. And I think that I always did like to play in the dirt. I don't think I will ever find as much money as I have spent on equipment, but for me it is relatively cheap entertainment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread