Ever Wonder How Old We Metal Detector Hobbiests Are? Well, Lets Find Out............

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been exposed to this since birth... no joke.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just turned 70
Detecting since 2007
Started on a Passport In Time project
of a emigrant trail.
The leader loaned me his Tesoro, and
first target I found was a 1" long cut nail...!
I was hooked!

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI; I'm 58. I started hen I was 11 years old with a Radio Shack BFO type detector in November 1968. I now have 47 years of solid "IN FIELD" detecting under my belt. I am the Senior In Field Treasure Hunter in Mass. I have a broken back & neck. Paralyzed 17x. I ad 8 operations and going in for my 9th surgery this Thursday. I'll recover and get back to digging again. I've detected all over the world and I have 23 years at sea. I've been to the Atocha, The Whydah etc over the years. I "dream" about detecting. May God Bless All Of You And Yours with as many adventures as I have had. God Bless. PEACE:RONB. :leprechaun-hat:

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The world has been enjoying my presence for 44 years. Been detecting for 14 years.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
60 have been working as an archaeologist 30 years. Been metel hunting since age 12 off and on.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been detecting since 1960.
Started with a ww2 mine detector.
58 detectors later inc a few home built, I am still detecting at 69.
My two most often used detectors are the Sov XS and the Infinium. I also like my Spectrum XLT.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Ever Wonder How Old We Metal Detector Hobbiests Are? Well, Lets Find Out........

Bought first detector when I was 18 but was too busy until I finished university! I'm 42 years old been seriously detecting last 8 years! Best find is 1897 civil war reunion badge I found at an old lot in downtown Dallas! Best ring is old gothic 14k ring! I hunt with Infiniun, AT gold, whites VX3, Troy X2!

Last edited:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
64. Consider metal detecting an extreme sport, at least how I do it in the surf, stuck on sandbars, digging washed-out, stone covered beaches and combing popular beaches during rain storms, high winds and times when normal people would not want to be on the beach. Great 5-7 hr workout and provides lots of time to meditate. The "scenery" on many popular beaches also can keep on entertained for hours while swinging a coil.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 1957 or 58 I was hospitalized in Ft. Lauderdale. My roommate said he was a Treasure Hunter; and for two days he told me stories of his experiences. I wish I could tell you his name; don't recall ever knowing it. But the stories he told me then have kept me at it for over 50 years. Now 75 and I have yet to loose the desire to research, hunt and discover.
Don..

rickster

Greenie
Nov 23, 2015
chicago il
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick silver- Ace250 - Whites M-6 - at Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
61 and I love the hunt.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
65 this coming May - quad triple by pass surgery last June & still metal detecting & working hard. Got to buy a couple more detectors before retirement.

Southpaw13

Greenie
Sep 1, 2014
Palo Cedro, Ca
Detector(s) used
Nox 900, Gold Racer, Racer 2, Mojave
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
53. Just started out after about a 35 year hiatus. Had a Whites Beach Comber from the 80s that I used (if it beeped you dug it) never forget my first find with her a working sprinkler pipe at 4 inches. Picked up an ATPro from Bart several weeks ago and looking forward to wearing it out.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
57 here.

I had a Radio Shack something around 1981. Used it a few times but life got in the way.

Bought a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II in 2008 and it quit working after about 2 months. It was too expensive to send it back to the US for repair.
Last month I got it out and found the burnt trace on the PC board. Fixed that and she is working as good as new. So, I consider myself a newbie all over again.
I have been to the beach twice in the past 24 hours. Two hours each time. Dry sand only. Getting used to what the different sounds and chatter mean especially for junk. I can't discriminate anything out because Brazilian coins all sound/act like pull tabs. Anyway, it is fun and I will be busy learning for awhile. Probably around June I will buy a PI machine (Mark II ???) when I am back in the US for a few days.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John-Edmonton!! Just turned 70 and retiring from Medical Practice after 40 years!! Started detecting in the early 80's with a Garrett Ground Hog!! Now I collect Dust!! He He!! Hope you're well!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

marion moore

Feb 23, 2015
Greenville, South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
71 the 25th of this month, it gets you out of the house. never posted any thing since I've joining, having

some back problems and when I do, not finding nothing worth posting yet, todays the day. marion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread