Everyone has an Old Park .... Here is Mine!!!

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
First of all I found a first while on "the job". I looked down and found an Ipod Shuffle. It apparently belonged to "Ritchie Rich". I have since erase all the raunchy rap garbage out of it and now it is sitting empty on my desk. If you are interested in a cheap Ipod let me know. It does work - it has no earphones though.
ipod.jpg
Now down to business, seems here lately everyone has a story about the old parks in their hood so I decided it was time to tackle an empty park that covers about 80 acres. It has been around since the late 1800's and has been used for several different things. The fair grounds, an amusement park complete with rollercoaster, home of the South Bend Blue Sox (a womens baseball team), an above ground community swimming pool that doubled as a ice rink in the winter. I don't have any pictures of what it looked like before but this is now. Soon it will become dorms for I.U. of South Bend.
DSC02131a.jpg
DSC02132a.jpg
DSC02133a.jpg
As for my hunt on the property, I kept getting these targets that were 6-8 in deep and showed up as half dollar or bigger. Then when I would dig it would get deeper or disappear or just never be found. It was close to freezing so I just didn't have the gumption to dig a hole to Japan. Any how as I was getting ready to leave I decided to hit an area on the otherside that looked good for fishing. i found a target right at the waters edge. As I started digging it was under a root and I finally got it out. i was surprised to see a coin, then I saw it was 1926 wheat and that made it sort of worth while. I also found this watch face plate in the same area. Showed it next to a watch that belonged to my grandmother for the heck of it!
playland1.jpg
watch.jpg
Then today I was at my other park where I have found NOTHING older than a '59 Memorial (other than the 1876 Indian Head!!!!!). Anyhow I have been poking around there so much I have a lot of the trash cleaned out so I cranked up the sensitivity almost to the max today. In an area I have gone over before I found 2 more wheats. A '53 and a '57. Can't wait till tomorrow !!
wheats1.jpg
wheats2.jpg
Well thanks for looking and have a good hunt !!!!!

Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That park looks promising...you know there is some nice stuff hiding in there! I think you've just touched the tip of the iceberg. Good luck and looking forward to your future park posts! Nice finds too!

HH!
TBGO

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT pictures! And you DO need to go back! I bet there are more keepers there!

Congrats on your finds! Nana :)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark,
Thanks for the post. I'm originally from LaPorte. If you find an old Studebaker buried there in South Bend, I'll come help you dig it up. :) Go Hoosiers!!!

OP
OP
ivy_walls

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
ModernMiner said:
Mark,
I'm originally from LaPorte. If you find an old Studebaker buried there in South Bend, I'll come help you dig it up. :)

I will keep that in mind !!!!!!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree...I think you will find some good stuff in there too. Good luck.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P

PHANTOM35

very cool finds there , your park you hunt looks very cool also. good luck hunting it . wtg ;)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and post! You would think that park would be loaded, any idea where the Roller Coaster was? HH, Mike

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
I so love to see pictures of areas people do their hunts at! Thank you for showing us yours ;D

Love the history on the place & would think there has to be a wee bit more there. . maybe around those "benchs/stands". . maybe tucked in between those trees near the water. . maybe, maybe, maybe. . . if they don't do any work soon, the Fall would be a nice time to poke round there, well at least for me it would be fun ;D

Like the finds you got there!!! ;D Especially the WHEATS. . .how gorgeous are they??? :o

Hope you get a chance to go there again & if you do I can not wait to see what you dug up!

Bogart :D

OP
OP
ivy_walls

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice finds and post! You would think that park would be loaded, any idea where the Roller Coaster was? HH, Mike

thanks for the comments!! the biggest problem with this park is that where a lot of the best activity took place now has a car dealership and resteraunts built up - not to mention blacktop. it stood empty for many years after being a golf course and has probably had multiple layers of fill dirt added. anyhow you all have inspired me to check out some of it a little more closely next chance I get !!

Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)

search_and_find

Dec 27, 2006
Springfield, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Nice finds. Neat place to go.

[As for my hunt on the property, I kept getting these targets that were 6-8 in deep and showed up as half dollar or bigger. Then when I would dig it would get deeper or disappear or just never be found.]

Why does that happen. I had the same thing out in the woods at an old one room school house. It was driving my husband and son crazy...they were doing the digging.

SO

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great pictures, great story. Congrats on the wheats! Don't ya just love concrete and blacktops? Grrrrrr! >:( I know there is tons of silver here in Aiken and as the years go by....more and more are being covered up by PROGRESS! Boo!!

Thanks for sharing..........Moon

R

redneckinwayz

Great looking park to do some fishing, anytime you can come up with a couple wheties is always a good day.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems like a great place..Waiting to See more find in the future. ;)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
If those wheats came out of there, it is almost a sure thing that there is also some silver. Does that water have Bass in it? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread