Everything you wanted to Know about Outhouses!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother in Virginia had an outhouse. I remember when I was younger, I used to hate to spend the night with her because I'd have to walk out back and sit in that thing to do my business. I was always paranoid of spiders under the lid...lol.

She finally got some indoor plumbing when I was about 16. It was an experience, the floor always creeked and the walls and doors were full of gaps....cold in the winter.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
We used an outhouse at home, until I was in about 10th or 11th grade. No, it wasn't the 40's, either. I'm talking the 1970's.

Got locked in one night by someone playing a prank. Never did find out who. Used an axe (it doubled as a tool shed) to knock a hole in the door so I could get out. Dad didn't like that one bit.

Roger

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmothers house never had indoor plumbing. Everyone dreaded going out to the OUT HOUSE. There was added tension when you consider she also had geese and chickens around the yard who liked nothing more than to chase someone GOING to the OUT HOUSE. Imagine a full bladder or what ever else and having to dodge a goose or rooster. And there was always the fear of something crawling up and biting you! Ahh! How did we ever use it.

Ed

S

stefen

I too, grew up in rural Indiana and also had the benefit of an outhouse. Additionally, we had what is often referred to as the poor mans version of a canopy bed...our was a can-o-pee under the bed (actually it was a tall lidded ceramic vase in the hall).

Try making a midnight visit when theres frost on the pumpkin (or deep snow). You learn to levitate.

One thing you always learned is to take a coal lantern with you and turn the wick way up...controlled the flies and mosquitoes.

A few years ago I spent some time in Fairbanks Alaska (Eilson AFB) and there were numerous Moose encounter stories in the local newspaper. One mentioned a gentleman that had left the facility and unbeknown-st to him, he had gotten between a moose and her calf. Weeks later as he was leaving the hospital, he was asked what he would do in the future, and he was quoted as saying: "Indoor plumbing".

N

nutso

I have two adjoining lots and both have outhouses. I occasionally use them when I'm outside and don't want to go in the house. These outhouses were built in the 1960's and can be rebuilt with a permit. I put a telephone sign on one and actually had someone stop and ask if he could use it. I said "you can use my outhouse but the phone is out of order." I have elecrical lights to one but the other is no frills. Great for parties! Lime keeps the smell down.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well let me see....Out house ! a fifty gallon drum buried in the round and a wooden shack built on top of it ...With an old wooden Door, and only one level....hope that helps...............! lol ???

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a topic ....thee old out house , well Gypsy since your looking at those 1000.00 Dollar out buildings!!! so saying.. I thought I would share these nice budget ones with you ...at I'm sure a very reasonable cost .....$$$$$$ :o :o :o lolol...

Attachments

• april 8&9th finds scoutcamp& sherman 003 Medium Web view.jpg
    april 8&9th finds scoutcamp& sherman 003 Medium Web view.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 339
  • april 8&9th finds scoutcamp& sherman 001 Medium Web view.jpg
    april 8&9th finds scoutcamp& sherman 001 Medium Web view.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 328
  • april 8&9th finds scoutcamp& sherman 002 Medium Web view.jpg
    april 8&9th finds scoutcamp& sherman 002 Medium Web view.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 333
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hey Seeker Honey...Thanks I will take that one with the star on the door! And besides ,you dont really need all of them in your back yard now do ya? :P :P :-* Please ship UPS Ground!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
Hey Seeker Honey...Thanks I will take that one with the star on the door! And besides ,you dont really need all of them in your back yard now do ya? :P :P :-* Please ship UPS Ground!
I'm sorry to tell you this !!! That one is sold ....yes someone bought that one yesterday....But the one with the MOON would be appropriate.....haaaa!!! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread