EXCAL 1000, BEST SETTING FOR COIN SHOOTING???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1000, live in Florida and I mainly hunt beaches, at the beach I set my discrimination to about 2, my threshold to where I just can just barely hear it chatter, the volume high and the sensativity to what would be between the 11 to 1 position on a clock. On the beach I am hunting for any lost jewelry and coins are only the 2nd choice, I don't usually hunt just dirt, I do hunt parks, usually the play grounds and they mainly use mulch and sand, my settings are the same, except I may turn the sensativity up some, depends on how it sounds.

I have found a good deal on a 2005 version Whites 6000 PRO XL with 21 months still left on the warranty that I am getting to hunt the land as the excal is a little heavy for park hunting.

I am sure one of the Minelab experts will respond soon and they can help you more. Sandman checks this forum often.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here I am......I check in often because I am frozen to the ground this year.

As Treasure Hunter says, the Excal is a little heavy for plain dirt hunting even when hip mounted. His settings are good and much depends on the area where you are trying to hunt. At your area a setting of Auto for sensitivity may be better, it depends on the noise. During pinpointing, I find the coin is at the top edge of the coil method the easiest for dry land. In the sand, since you are using a scoop, you don't need to pinpoint.

Good Luck,
Sandman

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I have an Excalibur and mainly hunt in the water between Ft. Lauderdale, and South Beach Miami. My settings are the same as Treasure hunter.

HH 8) surfrat

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfrat, in March a friend of mine and I are heading down to South Beach to start a hunt then moving north spending a day at a time at South Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood Beach, then maybe Vero Beach and up towards Daytona Beach on a 5-6 day hunt. (That is if you haven't already picked them clean already :( )

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Treasure_Hunter said:
Surfrat, in March a friend of mine and I are heading down to South Beach to start a hunt then moving north spending a day at a time at South Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood Beach, then maybe Vero Beach and up towards Daytona Beach on a 5-6 day hunt. (That is if you haven't already picked them clean already :( )

Treasure_Hunter, sent you a pm. Check it out.

HH 8) surfrat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread