Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at adding a larger coil to my Excaliber. What is the general opinion on the two listed
WOT(15) or SEF(12x15) or even if there is a better one let me know. How do you know the working frequencies of each coil and its ability?

Also I would like to add a interchangable connector to the unit so I can switch back and forth depending on the hunt so what is a good 4pin connector that is waterproof. I found this on e-bay but have concerns.

IP68 Waterproof Grade 4 Pins Waterproof Plug AND Socket Cable Connector | eBay

Tim

Upvote 0

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at adding a larger coil to my Excaliber. What is the general opinion on the two listed
WOT(15) or SEF(12x15) or even if there is a better one let me know. How do you know the working frequencies of each coil and its ability?

Also I would like to add a interchangable connector to the unit so I can switch back and forth depending on the hunt so what is a good 4pin connector that is waterproof. I found this on e-bay but have concerns.

IP68 Waterproof Grade 4 Pins Waterproof Plug AND Socket Cable Connector | eBay

Tim

Hey! I was asking the same but for the Sov.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Connectors".....I've tried a variety of connectors and the only one that was reliable was the CoilTeck connector, a bit pricy but they do work.

WOT VS SEF coil......I have used both and find the SEF to be the better of the two. I feel the SEF provides better stability (especially in the water), this then allowing it to hunt with better sensitivity and depth. But this is really sort of splitting hairs as both are good coils - I've just had the better overall experience with the SEF. Either way, once you get some time in with them (get the feel for them) you'll be glad you added either one of them to your hunting arsenal.

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Connectors".....I've tried a variety of connectors and the only one that was reliable was the CoilTeck connector, a bit pricy but they do work.

WOT VS SEF coil......I have used both and find the SEF to be the better of the two. I feel the SEF provides better stability (especially in the water), this then allowing it to hunt with better sensitivity and depth. But this is really sort of splitting hairs as both are good coils - I've just had the better overall experience with the SEF. Either way, once you get some time in with them (get the feel for them) you'll be glad you added either one of them to your hunting arsenal.

Hey BigScoop,
Can you tell me if the SEF is weighted or not. I can not find much info on it. I looked at the WOT and it is $355 plus $70 for shipping and the SEF is only $210 shipped. I thougt to use the SEF and Coiltek connector but they want $70 for it plus $70 shipping . A $140 for the connector is a bit extreme in my opinion. I found some waterproof connectors for about $10 a piece good to 10 meters depth.

1 Pair Waterproof Aviation Connector Plug AND Socket IP68 Cable Connector SP21 | eBay

Have you tried these before? I do not intend to use the Excal beyond the surf for that I will use the SeaHunter.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
About the best is what Big Scoop recommends, and they do not seal 100% all the time. The big issue is the coil is hot, any breach's in the cable can cause falsing. I really don't think the 4 pin IP 68 connectors will work. At one time Treasure Hunter & MT Pockets used some Bulgin larger connectors and I do believe they did well, maybe he will chime in...

EX keep us informed

Midas_touch

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you check out detectordepot they carry the wot 15 for 355.00 and that comes with the waterproof connectors for it. You can order extra connectors as well and it is 60.00 for the set.

If you need instructions on how to install them check here : Waterproof Connector

Personally I didn't like the connector as it tended to leak so I hard wired mine onto the board. OBN has an awesome utube vid on how to do it as well as Wiring diagrams for the different types of coils.

Good luck and I'm thinking of setting up a sef myself down the road.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the main issues with any of the screw type connectors:
1) Eventually the threads will wear. No way to keep the sand/salt out of the threads so each time you unscrew them this sand and salt grinds away at the threads.
2) "Freeze ups." Here again the salt and sand creeps into the threads causing the threads to become frozen.
3) Expansion from heat & cold can cause the connector/threads to come loose.
4) "Very small" sealing surface in most of them.

These type connectors just aren't designed for repetitive use. As OBN says, right now i'm using one of the larger Bulgin type connectors (IP68) and I still experience all of the issues listed above from time to time. I was going to go ahead and splurge on the Coiltecks but have since decided to hold out with another idea in mind that is going to take some time to work out. If you decide to go with one of these other connectors keep a constant eye on it and make sure you have it mounted as high as possible (I use a straight shaft and mine is mounted clear at the top so it is out of the water as much as possible).

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BigScoop,
Can you tell me if the SEF is weighted or not. I can not find much info on it. I looked at the WOT and it is $355 plus $70 for shipping and the SEF is only $210 shipped. I thougt to use the SEF and Coiltek connector but they want $70 for it plus $70 shipping . A $140 for the connector is a bit extreme in my opinion. I found some waterproof connectors for about $10 a piece good to 10 meters depth.

1 Pair Waterproof Aviation Connector Plug AND Socket IP68 Cable Connector SP21 | eBay

Have you tried these before? I do not intend to use the Excal beyond the surf for that I will use the SeaHunter.

The SEF coil - As far as it being "weighted" I would say, I don't believe it is. However, I have no difficulties keeping it down in the water. There are going to be those times when there is just too much turbulence to permit the use of the larger coil, especially when you encounter a lot of up currents, etc. In the water these larger coils "must be" swung smoothly and flat in order to maintain stability. Because of their larger size every little error or inconsistency is magnified.

Midas_touch

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey big scoop let me know if you come up with a better idea as far as coil swapping. Also if you want to try the coiltech connectors I have a set here I could send you. I didn't like them much. So just a few bucks for shipping if you wanted to try them out.

ScoopDragger

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2009
Hard wire is the only way to go. You will like the connector AT FIRST. Then after a while you will start to get false signals when the pins get corroded. It does not take much for this to happen.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey big scoop let me know if you come up with a better idea as far as coil swapping. Also if you want to try the coiltech connectors I have a set here I could send you. I didn't like them much. So just a few bucks for shipping if you wanted to try them out.

Thanks for the offer but I've used them before on a different machine, just holding out for now until I figure out what I want to do for sure.

ScoopDragger - I've never had a falsing issue with any of the connectors I've used. BUT...it is important that the connector is mounted securely to the machine or falsing can occur. The pins you just have to maintain, much like the battery pod pins.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bulgins worked ok for me but repeated use or taking them apart will wear them out, I don't recommend them!!!!! stainless steel is what im looking for!!!!!!!

chuck.

Midas_touch

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. If anyone else wants to try out the coiltech ones let me know. I don't plan on using them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the best is what Big Scoop recommends, and they do not seal 100% all the time. The big issue is the coil is hot, any breach's in the cable can cause falsing. I really don't think the 4 pin IP 68 connectors will work. At one time Treasure Hunter & MT Pockets used some Bulgin larger connectors and I do believe they did well, maybe he will chime in...

EX keep us informed

I got away from the connectors.... Anytime you put a connector inline your adding resistance to the cable and you get more falsing...... Mine are now hardwired into my excals (2 excals) thanks to my hunting partner davespen......... Dave can explain a lot better about this issue with the inline connectors than I can...... The man like OBN is a wizzard when it comes to excals.....

I have one excal with a WOT hardwired into the controls and one excal with the SEF 12x15 Butterfly coil hardwired into the controls. I personally like them both and use both......

I can not longer hunt with a 10 inch coil, I can not stand the small coil, I hunt in the water with the large coils and I have no problem doing so. Some people said sometimes they dont like the large coils when in the water but I have learned to use the current and wave action to my advantage and have no problem hunting in the water.... I hunt as much in the water with the 15 inch coils as I did with the 10" coils...... If the bottom is real hillly is the only time I give up, and I gave up when I was using the 10" too......

A detector is a tool and like anything thing else it is just learning how best to use the tool......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH - question - how's your lower shaft holding up where it sleeves into the upper shaft? I've noticed that mine is starting to wear from the increased drag created by the larger coil. Just starting to get a little sloppy, but nothing I can't live with yet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH - question - how's your lower shaft holding up where it sleeves into the upper shaft? I've noticed that mine is starting to wear from the increased drag created by the larger coil. Just starting to get a little sloppy, but nothing I can't live with yet.

Mine is on a straight shaft I made and has one of "pluggers" shaft locks, it is holding up very well......

excal shaft lock.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Please remember only charter members can sell or offer anything for trade....

Midas_touch

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a plugger shaft lock as well and it works awesome. And sorry about that treasure hunter. I was actually offering to give them away for free. I just know I will never use them and wanted to give someone else the chance to use them if they wanted to.

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got away from the connectors.... Anytime you put a connector inline your adding resistance to the cable and you get more falsing...... Mine are now hardwired into my excals (2 excals) thanks to my hunting partner davespen......... Dave can explain a lot better about this issue with the inline connectors than I can...... The man like OBN is a wizzard when it comes to excals.....

I have one excal with a WOT hardwired into the controls and one excal with the SEF 12x15 Butterfly coil hardwired into the controls. I personally like them both and use both......

I can not longer hunt with a 10 inch coil, I can not stand the small coil, I hunt in the water with the large coils and I have no problem doing so. Some people said sometimes they dont like the large coils when in the water but I have learned to use the current and wave action to my advantage and have no problem hunting in the water.... I hunt as much in the water with the 15 inch coils as I did with the 10" coils...... If the bottom is real hillly is the only time I give up, and I gave up when I was using the 10" too......

A detector is a tool and like anything thing else it is just learning how best to use the tool......

This is what I am starting to think now. Hardwire the large coil on and if I want a smaller, if for any reason I will just buy another Excal. I am up to five machines now so why not another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions