Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at adding a larger coil to my Excaliber. What is the general opinion on the two listed
WOT(15) or SEF(12x15) or even if there is a better one let me know. How do you know the working frequencies of each coil and its ability?

Also I would like to add a interchangable connector to the unit so I can switch back and forth depending on the hunt so what is a good 4pin connector that is waterproof. I found this on e-bay but have concerns.

IP68 Waterproof Grade 4 Pins Waterproof Plug AND Socket Cable Connector | eBay

Tim

Upvote 0

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I am starting to think now. Hardwire the large coil on and if I want a smaller, if for any reason I will just buy another Excal. I am up to five machines now so why not another.

I think OBN makes end caps for the Excal.
Couldn't you just use a new end cap then wire the new coil to it?
Then when you want to replace a coil you just remove the old coil with the end cap attached and switch it with the coil you want to use with the new end cap attached?
Seems like it would only take 10min. to switch it out once you had it all set up..

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think OBN makes end caps for the Excal.
Couldn't you just use a new end cap then wire the new coil to it?
Then when you want to replace a coil you just remove the old coil with the end cap attached and switch it with the coil you want to use with the new end cap attached?
Seems like it would only take 10min. to switch it out once you had it all set up..

Trust me....you don't want to go this route. For starters, the mother board sets in a grove in that end cap and if it moves you're screwed, all of your pod alignments will be off. The battery pod also uses this same end cap, not to mention that you would want a perfectly clean environment - not something you're likely to find at the beach.

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found and watched some of OBN's videos on youtube. Thanks OBN, it reasures me that it is not complicated. I am a pretty good hands on person, been playing with RC jet aircraft for 25 yrs.

I plan to just hardwire it on. I ordered the SEF 12x15 coil last night. I was also considering a remote push button switch for discriminating/PP installed at the tip of the handle for easy use. Now I just have to find a waterproof one or one that can be made waterproof.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me....you don't want to go this route. For starters, the mother board sets in a grove in that end cap and if it moves you're screwed, all of your pod alignments will be off. The battery pod also uses this same end cap, not to mention that you would want a perfectly clean environment - not something you're likely to find at the beach.

As far as clean environment goes I was thinking changing it out at home or at the car before you went out.
I wasn't aware of the delicacy of the end cap and motherboard.
I only had the battery pod open once to put in new batteries and it seemed pretty easy.
Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, got the SEF in today but the wire/cord is only about 2.5-3 feet long . Is this normal , I do not think it is going to be long enough even when extended.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, got the SEF in today but the wire/cord is only about 2.5-3 feet long . Is this normal , I do not think it is going to be long enough even when extended.

No that is not right at all, should be a lot longer, mine wraps around my straight shaft several times even after shaft is extended....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No that is not right at all, should be a lot longer, mine wraps around my straight shaft several times even after shaft is extended....

I did not think so. It measures 42" fully extended and 30" coiled. I have the straight shaft as well and it will not even make the distance streched out.

Guess I will have to send it back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you buy it.....?

Mine has 11 wraps around my straight shaft and then plugs into controls. You say coil has a cable that has natural coils in cable ? Mine did not come that way, it has no coils in cable except those I put in it wrapping it around the shaft... We are talking the butterfly coil correct, Coiltec SEF 12x15" butterfly coil?

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you buy it.....?

Mine has 11 wraps around my straight shaft and then plugs into controls. You say coil has a cable that has natural coils in cable ? Mine did not come that way, it has no coils in cable except those I put in it wrapping it around the shaft... We are talking the butterfly coil correct, Coiltec SEF 12x15" butterfly coil?

I got it from Kellyco. Yes it has natural coils in the wiring. It is the SEF 134-15x12EE butterfly E-series but it looks like the 10x12 coil picture on their site coiled wiring.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will call Gene at Kellyco tomorrow and talk to him about it. It may be that coiltec has changed the coil and they do not know about it yet..... They are sold for the Sov GT but are compatible with the Excals, but on straight shaft the controls are behind your elbow not on shaft like Sov GT....

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The connector also has 5 pins on it. I thought there were only 4 wires ?

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blue decal excal 99-01 had 5 wires (I have one).

chuck.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excal SEF.jpg This may be a little fuzzy but it is accurate. I have the older blue, 2001 and my SEF works fine wired according to this detail.

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I like the size of the coil just wish the wire was longer. It is possible that the item has been redesigned. Hopefully they will have a longer wired version so i wont have to splice it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my copy, it is a little clearer and easier to read.... Minelab%20Excal%20Coil%20Mod%20Matrix%20SEF%20WOT%20S-12%20drs%20v30May11.jpg

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I like the size of the coil just wish the wire was longer. It is possible that the item has been redesigned. Hopefully they will have a longer wired version so i wont have to splice it.

I'm thinking they just sent you the wrong coil package. I've purchased 2 recently and both of them had lots of cable.

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking they just sent you the wrong coil package. I've purchased 2 recently and both of them had lots of cable.

I think so as well. I called them today and the lady I spoke with said she was going to check for me and call me back, hopefully I will hear from them tomorrow.

I have the Blue Excal 1000 not sure how to date it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think so as well. I called them today and the lady I spoke with said she was going to check for me and call me back, hopefully I will hear from them tomorrow.

Let me know if it isn't fixed, I will talk to Gene with Kellyco....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"If" you can see it (wires blocking mine) there is a serial number on the mother board - you should be able to see through the clear portion of the housing (might have to take the pod off the shaft).

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got the coil issue worked out. Had to send it back and got another within 2 days( Kellyco is quick). Anyways got the new coil attached this morning and got my first days use from it.

Thanks to all for the help in making this as easy as it was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread