Excal I vs Excal II

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excal I electronics are better than the Excal II...

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Researching minelab on the internet I read where they are quite unreliable. As I quote one owner "you might get a good one, or you might not." Another quote "when you buy one make sure you have enough for repairs because in no time it will be in the shop...for months." Other reports say its the best water MD out there. WHich is true????

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last statement, "best water MD out there"...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
***ARC starts to sing his "blues" song"... "

I loved my blues...
But love my two's more...
I find more stuff... on the seashore...
Could anyone ask.. for anything more...
If I keep this up... I will begin to snore-eorrrrr.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Researching minelab on the internet I read where they are quite unreliable. As I quote one owner "you might get a good one, or you might not." Another quote "when you buy one make sure you have enough for repairs because in no time it will be in the shop...for months." Other reports say its the best water MD out there. WHich is true????

You buy a car, you could get a lemon. I bought a samsung tv from bestbuy, was not a cheap tv, the thing crapped out the second day. I bought a used 3030. The 11 inch coil seemed to lie like a dog. I just bought a 17 inch coil a few months back from a vender here. Put the monster on and it was like night and day and I figured out the 11 inch was not right. Emailed Minelab and had a rma the next day. They recieved the coil on a friday and the following monday they sent out my new 11 inch coil. Like anything you could buy a reject, the real deal is how you take care of that object you just dropped your hard earned money on. Up keep up keep up keep will guarantee you have something that will last a long time! Internet opinions are something you need to be very careful with.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak for the Excal I, though I own 2 Excal II's - They are my go to machines, I have nothing but praise for them and I've owned them for longer than I can remember. My battery cable went bad this year - first time in the shop and it cost me $135.00 and the turn around time was excellent. So.......2 Excals over many years and my maintenance cost has been $135.00 - Can't complain.

Oh, One more thing - They've paid for themselves over and over.........

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome...

***ARC looks into his tip jar and sees a note that reads "heres a tip for you, learn how to sing" ***
Thats funny.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There isn't one less than 8 years old. Buyer be ware.

I have read some posts that the blue is better that II. Is this true? Can anyone tell me the difference between the two. Right now I am looking and trying to decide.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a blue Excel for years and bought a Excel II for the heck of it. I might be biased but I think my blue is hotter than the newer Excel II. It might be Minelab is using cheaper components in the Excel II. But if I was back on the saltwater beaches again I would be using the Sov. GT as it has more features than the Excal except being waterproof .

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a blue Excel for years and bought a Excel II for the heck of it. I might be biased but I think my blue is hotter than the newer Excel II. It might be Minelab is using cheaper components in the Excel II. But if I was back on the saltwater beaches again I would be using the Sov. GT as it has more features than the Excal except being waterproof .

Now here's a question for all you owners of the older model excel's, and even the newer models of excel 2. What kind of maintenance do you do with your equipment? I know that rubber deteriorates over time. I do know I change my o rings on my ctx more then I should but just figured I'd make the o ring company rich! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give my 2 excals a hot shower after every hunt, change the o-rings ever 3 years.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone use the excal ii for land hunts? pros/cons to doing so?

Pros, it works great on land, used mine for 1.5 years on land before I bought my land detector, cons it is heavy for land...

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sword model with the horseshoe coil was considered one of the best. They are hard to get parts for them now. Some of the older circuit boards are not available anymore.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne is correct, the sword (Has Excalibur Sword on side) is the oldest and was considered the best for depth and stability. They are getting very hard to repair as parts are very hard to fine.

The Sword model was made between 1993 and 1998 then discontinued when Minelab released the Excal 800 and 1000 models which were made from 1998 to 2007 when the Excal II was released..

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just pulled the trigger on a rebuilt sword and horseshoe from dave. That s the goodnews. More good news is I got to drive 8 hours to Philly to see my first grandson. Bad news my new machine arrived yesterday so I can't try it out. Thanks to everyone for your help in making my decision.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, hope it stays healthy as they are very hard to get any parts for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread