Excal: is it worth it?

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
I have a line on a used Excal, 2004 model, the owner is asking $550. Is this a good price? Were there problems with the older Excal's ? I've never used one and most of my experience has been with the Garrett sea hunter XL 500 pi. What should I look for or ask about it? Will this detector make me happy? Thank you for any input. Mike

Upvote 0

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
That price is unusally good.If it is in good working order it will more than make you happy.
That isn't that old of a detector. Just have to make sure that everything works right and is
water-tight.Nice to be able to see it ,or know the seller or his rating.HH Joe

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main thing to look at is it water tight,second is the battery ask him to put it on a full charge then take a meter to it, The battery can run around 90 to 100 each, You can also go to a battery's plus, They can make you a new battery pack,(35.00) Check the coil around the shaft mount look for a crack, Also check the cable if all looks good, Your good, At a dang good price. Good luck, ..............Cotton

OP
OP
M

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
Wow, great specific, and detailed advice. Thanks to both of you. I thought it was a good price unfortunately I will have to wait a couple days or weeks for the money to show up. If I am able to get it I will report back. Thanks again for the advice and this well run forum. Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good price for the Excal. You can always get the AA battery pack cheap.

Will it make you happy, if you like to water hunt and take the time to learn the Excal, it will make you very happy.............

At that price you would have no problem getting all your money back if you decide to sell...............

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow at that price you can't go wrong.

I had a SeaHunterII.  It was nice but the Excal for water hunting is a dream come true.

Ask the person if you can give him or her something to hold it for you.  As long as it is water tight, not cracked, and turns on (test it out if you have the opportunity), then it is a good if not excellent buy.

Keep us updated how you do.

There's one last thing I want to add. Remember the machine is only as good as its operator. If you put the time in and learn it, it will do what you need, just like the SeaHunter.

OP
OP
M

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
Thanks for all your comments. It helps me make the decision to go ahead with the purchase. And I have a lot of experience I didn't have to pay for through sweat and money by you guys sharing. I've got the time and determination to learn it and I love water detecting. Best to all, Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions