What is your favorite long handled scoop?

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Greetings. I'm going to start surf detecting soon. I need to get a long-handled scoop. What are some of the best long handled scoops out there, and why? As for my style of surf detecting, I try not to go in waves/surf that is over my knees. I found one long handled scoop online that seems to be intelligently made (except for the material used). ProStock's Pro/Scoop. It's on the pricey side at $149.00. I would prefer to find a less expensive scoop that would work well.

One more thing about ProStock's Pro/Scoop: They use steel for the basket!! Why didn't they use aircraft grade aluminum? This scoop weighs in at six pounds! I think a lighter weight scoop would be more appropriate.

Oh-one more thing: I would like a scoop that is at least six inches wide.

Thank you, stay safe, and HH. Kevin

Upvote 0

beachbuzzard

Greenie
Jul 22, 2008
hello massybaycolonist. I'm no expert in fact a brand newbie thats beach detected at least a half a dozen times now. I bought the oro toro from pro scoops. It also has the galv. wire mesh in the bottom. Don't know how long this will last either. Helps the wet sand come out easier if threres no water around to help ya. Good craftmanship and built tough. He also has cheaper ones and I don't think I needed the stainless lip. As far as other scoops, this is the only one I have ever seen. Thanks for the info on the ring.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Based on a recommendation by another member here, I purchased and have been using the RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" WATER SCOOP(#RTGBB6)
for about six months now, and have been extremely pleased with it.

It digs well, has a foot kick, and is light enough that you won't mind dragging it behind you in the sand for several hours a day.

I've used the scoop on the beach, in heavy wet sand, and under water - and it worked well in all situations.

You can see photos of this scoop at near the middle of the page at http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

Cost about $125.

Bill

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember one thing for a water hunter the second most important thing is his scoop.
I use the diamond back which is SS and has a fiberglass handle. On sale for $159.00 good luck in whatever you choose.

I notice you are up north so if hard bottom or rocks is a issue you want ss and a point on your scoop...

r14.jpg

detail1.jpg

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
i am happy with the Diamond Head, got two all SS and the updated model :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 6828.jpg
    6828.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,646

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
shame on me, for the brag, sorry everyone for give me ;D

that's how the updated DH looks with a 3/4 diamond hat :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• 13754.jpg
    13754.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,650

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I haven't tried a fiberglass handle scoop.

Question: Does the fiberglass flex or bend when you put a heavy load on it either digging or lifting?

And how does fiberglass hold up to the sun and elements?

It should be lighter than aluminum, which could be good. As long as it didn't flex or splinter.

Thanks for the photos.

Bill

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It holds up great no bend etc. Thats why emergency services of all kinds use fiberglass handles....

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I third the Diamond Head. 

It is virtually indestructible.  It digs in where others won't.

As FloridaBill said it is the second most important thing for you for water hunting.  Also, depending on finances, you don't want to keep buying different scoops to find out what works for you. 

I have tried 5 different scoops now and I like the Diamond Head by Nuttal the best. 

Good luck.

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first choice is Beachcomber see pic.....Second choice is diamond.....my wife has taken over the diamond ,she likes it . But uses it in the water only....rdi

Attachments

• BchScp2.jpg
    BchScp2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,682

willia in tex

Greenie
Jan 29, 2006
Massbaycolonist said:
Greetings. I'm going to start surf detecting soon. I need to get a long-handled scoop. What are some of the best long handled scoops out there, and why? As for my style of surf detecting, I try not to go in waves/surf that is over my knees. I found one long handled scoop online that seems to be intelligently made (except for the material used). ProStock's Pro/Scoop. It's on the pricey side at $149.00. I would prefer to find a less expensive scoop that would work well.

One more thing about ProStock's Pro/Scoop: They use steel for the basket!! Why didn't they use aircraft grade aluminum? This scoop weighs in at six pounds! I think a lighter weight scoop would be more appropriate.

Oh-one more thing: I would like a scoop that is at least six inches wide.

Thank you, stay safe, and HH. Kevin

I use the stealth, I prefer open top scoops. made by chuck the scoop guy @ sunspot. Used the 7-11 scoop for yearswith no problems until some stole it 2 weeks ago. chuck had me a replacement within 3 days. very good scoop.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Beach Brute II and very happy with it. It is one of the largest scoops (non-custom made) available, 57 inches high with a basket that is 12 inches deep, 6 inches high and a 8.5 inch wide mouth. I have not been able to find a wider scoop yet. It weighs 4.9 pounds before I added the extra handle for lifting in the surf.. It also has the ability to take the handle apart for travel. I have put a lot of tourqe on it and not the slightest hint of a problem......

I have used it on both the East and West coasts of Florida with no problems at all

I would lilke to find one with a basket the same length and height, but a 10 inch wide mouth.........

beachbrute.jpg

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
I use the Beach Brute II and very happy with it.

$195 bucks, jeez. I like it better than mine, but jeez.

That would cut into my excal savings . . .

Jack

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
GuerillaBill said:
Based on a recommendation by another member here, I purchased and have been using the RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" WATER SCOOP(#RTGBB6)
for about six months now, and have been extremely pleased with it.

It digs well, has a foot kick, and is light enough that you won't mind dragging it behind you in the sand for several hours a day.

I've used the scoop on the beach, in heavy wet sand, and under water - and it worked well in all situations.

You can see photos of this scoop at near the middle of the page at http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

This is a great dry and wet scoopthat you have a also have the same scoop and the scoop just under with a 5 inch basket, I recently purchased the beach brute from kellyco and with my neck spinal cord damage i need to have someone alter the basket so i can push it down in the wet with my foot better, The brute will locate on the first try which makes locating the object so much better
Cost about $125.

Bill

May 25, 2008
I have had the Beach brute for 16 years, I had purchased two from Kellyco. The first one was great but someone stole it and I had to get another, and it is still going strong, have never needed another scoop since!

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
Wouldn't it be great if someone invented an all carbon fiber scoop that could be passed under your detector before you dump each scoop load.... Even an all fiberglass one would be nice and would be easy to patch/maintain the digging lip by the average user. Just a thought....

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have often thought the same, especially in neck deep water.

What I do, when I can, is scoop and rescan before lifting. You have to be careful about the items falling out and sometimes there are multiple items. One time I had 4 quarters and 3 nickels in one scoop. I wish I could do that with gold rings.

All the scoops have positive points, its too bad they don't combine them all to get the perfect scoop.

HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
busted leg beach bum said:
I have had the Beach brute for 16 years, I had purchased two from Kellyco. The first one was great but someone stole it and I had to get another, and it is still going strong, have never needed another scoop since!

I had the orignal Beach Brute I bought used, sold it at cost to finance the Beach Brute II. They are great scoops, the 8.5 inches Vs 6 inch wid mouth makes a big difference when you in the surf trying to recover a target before the next wave rolls over. I have even nick named my scoop "the back-hoe"

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one too Treasure_Hunter and like you said it is a back hoe. When it really takes a bite, wow, it takes up a lot of material. It is easy to use in deep water also. I get most objects on the first bite. The only time that it takes two or more is because I'm getting knocked all around by waves and the current is pulling me off target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread