excal?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fisher2 said:
is the excal still considered one of the best underwater detectors?

Yes! :icon_thumright:

fisher2 said:
also how deep do those things search in water

Are you asking how deep do they detect, or how deep can you take them? I have dug up targets over a foot deep while detecting in salt water that was chest deep which is hard to do since my fat butt wants to float.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Excals are good. When you mean deep do you mean how deep can you dive with it, or how deep will it search while underwater? If the last one, it wont search down as deep as a PI of equal coil size, of course. It will search and not see iron, which is good.

OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how hard is it to tune in like to skip iron but not stainless etc

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
Excals are good. When you mean deep do you mean how deep can you dive with it, or how deep will it search while underwater? If the last one, it wont search down as deep as a PI of equal coil size, of course. It will search and not see iron, which is good.

Sorry! I disagree! I hunt with three crusty old vets that crush it with their PI's! However the rookie with the Excal (me) constantly shut their traps. When Excal is in all metal it's as good if not better than SM PI!!! Been there, done it! :icon_pirat:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfnturf said:
stevemc said:

Sorry! I disagree! I hunt with three crusty old vets that crush it with their PI's! However the rookie with the Excal (me) constantly shut their traps. When Excal is in all metal it's as good if not better than SM PI!!! Been there, done it! :icon_pirat:

I hunt with an old excal that I spliced on a WOT coil to, it goes pretty darn deep......

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On iron infested beaches ,the Excal is awesome and hard to beat.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal is ok. Thats what I use for backup.I use the sea huntter and an Infinium LS.They go so deep that you need to bring your Pass port with you ,LOL . I have dug coins as deep as 26" in the wet sand.I have been hunting for 35 years

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Oh, I agree, I only use PIs, and the guys that have excals, never dig iron. And they get gold. I have to dig everything. A wot coil is the way to go too. It will still find a ring and go much deeper and wider than either stock coil. If I had the money it would be my beach tool of choice. Excal with a WOT coil.

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
stevemc said:
Oh, I agree, I only use PIs, and the guys that have excals, never dig iron. And they get gold. I have to dig everything. A wot coil is the way to go too. It will still find a ring and go much deeper and wider than either stock coil. If I had the money it would be my beach tool of choice. Excal with a WOT coil.

I used to use a PI machine. My excal has outdone it everytime. I also installed a WOT coil and removed it within a week. It might have more coverage but it did not even come close to matching the depth my standard ten does in all metal mode.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like I said, I only use PIs so I dont know how well Excals work, just seen others doing well with them, and yes most seem to just use either the 8 or 10" coils. Some use the WOT, and do good. Maybe there is a certain depth that is a cutoff depth on excals. I do know with a PI, it will go deeper and deeper with the bigger the coil, but the bigger you go, you start to lose the tiny stuff. I know my PI with a 9.5" coil will go 3' at least on bigger stuff like an anchor or chain, rusty hunk of iron, or metal bucket-unfortunatly. It will go 2' or more on a silver dollar, or a set of keys-unfortunatly. I also have a big PI that has a 5' x 3' coil and it will go 6' or so on a beer can, and pickup a car through the air at 25' or so, and powerlines EMI way off. But it wont find a coin the size of a quarter. Like I said, excals go as deep as they need, and skip the iron. For what I need for underwater stuff, a PI is fine for me. But a beach MD, would have to go to an Excal as the top choice. I think they are hotter on gold jewelry(than some PIs anyway), and you dont have to dig iron. I find it very hard to dig with a scoop more than a foot deep, especially in the water. It keeps filling back in. So to a beach hunter, depth is not good if it will go 2' deep on a quarter or a beer can bottom or hunk of iron. Rings always seem to be a foot or less. For me anyway. And that is what you usually are looking for.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stitchlips said:
stevemc said:

I used to use a PI machine. My excal has outdone it everytime. I also installed a WOT coil and removed it within a week. It might have more coverage but it did not even come close to matching the depth my standard ten does in all metal mode.

Strange, I get great depth out of my Excal and WOT, both in desc, and all metal.....What ever works best... :icon_thumright:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's put it this way, my excel is in my will. 'nuff said.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piercesdad said:
Let's put it this way, my excel is in my will. 'nuff said.

In your will, be sure you spell my name correctly. ;D

OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can anyone make audio files for the differant tones of metals like coins pulltab gold silver etc and youtube it or does anyone know where i can get an audio of those tones for free

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fisher2 said:
can anyone make audio files for the differant tones of metals like coins pulltab gold silver etc and youtube it or does anyone know where i can get an audio of those tones for free

I have sound files for the Sovereign which is the land version of the Excal. I can send them to you when I get home little later, they are on my desktop pc....

Best way to learn the sounds is to practice.... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are they the same as the excal/

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
The Excal's will go deep and I hurt my shoulder getting the sand out of my hole in the water-this week had an M R I on that shoulder. Hope I'm back in the water by May 2011, but taking more smaller scoops digging. I use a Babbs Scoop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions