Excaliber battery pods cracking?

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Excaliber battery pod's cracking?

Once again, my latest battery pod has begun to crack... Does anyone know why this happens? I don't use a hip mount and I do not put any excess pressure on the connection, nor do I over-tighten the connection. This is my fourth pod.. >:(
Am I the only one that has this problem? Minelab seems to think so. The cracks start small around the two plug holes then spread throughout until the top chips off. Help!!!
Ringman.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 211

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Excaliber battery pod's cracking?

There has got to be some kind of stress going on to make the cracks start. I've had my Excal for years and never had this problem with all the many recharges it has gone through. Could it be heat build up of a faulty charger or to long a charge? Have you tried another battery pak?

good luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
Da Sand Crab

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away

Sandman said:
There has got to be some kind of stress going on to make the cracks start. I've had my Excal for years and never had this problem with all the many recharges it has gone through. Could it be heat build up of a faulty charger or to long a charge? Have you tried another battery pak?

good luck,
Sandman
I've wondered about my charger but the cracking usually starts in the field. When I return from hunting I always disconect and rinse them wipe the threads off. Thats when I start to notice cracks. I've gone through 4 battery pods with this same problem and 2 of them were the non-chargable, aa alkaline packs. I know I work my detector hard but not to the point of abuse that would lead to this kind damage, so I hope anyway. :icon_scratch:
Ringman.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why do you feel you should remove the connector and rinse the threads? I just apply silicone grease to the threads after a charge and leave the connector attached till it needs to be recharged. I never rinse the threads or get water on the prongs.

OP
OP
Da Sand Crab

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away

Sandman said:
Why do you feel you should remove the connector and rinse the threads? I just apply silicone grease to the threads after a charge and leave the connector attached till it needs to be recharged. I never rinse the threads or get water on the prongs.
The first two packs that I had, I did'nt remove the connector after every use. I only did to recharge or change AA's. They cracked up. When I sent them to Minelab they did replace them but they told me that that was probably the reason for the damage and to not even use silicone and to rinse, clean and wipe the threaded connnection area after every use... :dontknow:
Anyway, I appreciate your time and I'll figure this one out I'm sure.
Ringman.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread