Excaliber questions

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I was told that the Excal can be set to "iron Isolate" where it won't "hit" on ferrous metal. The minelab website don't mention "iron isolate" with the discrimination. I want to look around a place that has LOTS of iron laying around, and thought this may do the trick. Can anyone tell me about this feature?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab calles this Iron Mask. This is different from Iron Disc. as it allows the detector to null on iron while still sounding off on non Iron targets depending on how much disc you use. You can place a nail through a gold ring and the Excal will sound off on the ring. It can not be turned off on the Excal but can on the Sov GT. Though the Excal will still respond to larger iron targets even in Iron mask, there is just no detector that won't do this.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bell47 said:
I was told that the Excal can be set to "iron Isolate" where it won't "hit" on ferrous metal. The minelab website don't mention "iron isolate" with the discrimination. I want to look around a place that has LOTS of iron laying around, and thought this may do the trick. Can anyone tell me about this feature?

I think the "Nulling" is what they were telling you about. When it "nulls" on a target you get a momentary loss of threshold which tells you your coil sees iron, but Minelab will also tell you if there is a gold ring right by the iron. What I do when I get a target is turn 90 degrees and sweep the target again to see if it still only nulls.

I have found on some tests I did where I put a iron wire through a gold ring, it nulled when I scaned it first time, and when I turned 90 degress and scanned it again it nulled, then gave me a quick good tone for the gold.

By habit, I always do a 90 degree turn on all nulls now before I continue my hunt....

What kind of hunting do you want to do and where?

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
scuba diving with it, just lots of iron around wrecks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread