Excalibur and WOT-----issues

OP
OP
J

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
No coil cover. About using all metal mode---QUESTION: I realize that there is an increase in depth with all metal---I use it a lot on beaches with little iron BUT----How much width is lost? In other words, when I am searching in disc. my detector will signal a target at the edge of the coil but in pp the only area sensitive to a target is the center of the coil--correct or not? I visualize a cone pattern in pp--which would reduce the area of detection. My opinion--am I understanding this correctly?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 15" WOT is a DD coil, so, you aren't going to have a cone pattern underneath whether you're in pin point or discrimination. I get very good target response out at the edge of mine (the older 2 spoke design).

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The good about the smaller coils you can crank them up all the way in PP, I can swing the little 800 coil faster and hear targets off the edge which is good for fresh drop beach's. Being able to crank up the sensitivity allows this out reaching field to pick up more off the edge, very similar to having a bigger coil. It does hit very hard on coins but smaller rings there is not a lot of advantage. One thing also is when you turn the Excalibur on the detecting field is there at full strength, the returning signal is the adjusted part. Adjustment at the board allows more of the signal in which increases the sensitivity when turned up.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No coil cover. About using all metal mode---QUESTION: I realize that there is an increase in depth with all metal---I use it a lot on beaches with little iron BUT----How much width is lost? In other words, when I am searching in disc. my detector will signal a target at the edge of the coil but in pp the only area sensitive to a target is the center of the coil--correct or not? I visualize a cone pattern in pp--which would reduce the area of detection. My opinion--am I understanding this correctly?

Not correct. You actually have a slightly wider detection field in AM.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to throw this in the "mix" here...
Gollum... you mentioned using silicone in your "fixes"...

Personally I hate silicone... to me it sucks. no offense...
Would like to point you or anyone interested in a "better" direction/product that blows silicone away in ALL areas.

Remember this number...

It is the waterproof nectar.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to throw this in the "mix" here...
Gollum... you mentioned using silicone in your "fixes"...

Personally I hate silicone... to me it sucks. no offense...
Would like to point you or anyone interested in a "better" direction/product that blows silicone away in ALL areas.

Remember this number...

It is the waterproof nectar.

Good point, and my experience with silicon was making the skullies speakered headphones. The final step I filled the backs in with silicon, then a few months of use around and under water I noticed some green and blue colors on a failed sets. Come to find out the RTV silicon was not 100% water proof but some how allow moister to form or seep in... I switched to epoxy, problem solved. Also I had to double the Gortex covering the speakers, along with going to a stronger UV resistant plastic to set them in...Evolution ..

these are the originals

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good about the smaller coils you can crank them up all the way in PP, I can swing the little 800 coil faster and hear targets off the edge which is good for fresh drop beach's. Being able to crank up the sensitivity allows this out reaching field to pick up more off the edge, very similar to having a bigger coil. It does hit very hard on coins but smaller rings there is not a lot of advantage. One thing also is when you turn the Excalibur on the detecting field is there at full strength, the returning signal is the adjusted part. Adjustment at the board allows more of the signal in which increases the sensitivity when turned up.
I have my machine running at the highest settings and can't get it to false in pin point.......unless I'm in particularly nasty black sand. Is there an internal adjustment that can be made to make it even more sensitive and/or go deeper?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have my machine running at the highest settings and can't get it to false in pin point.......unless I'm in particularly nasty black sand. Is there an internal adjustment that can be made to make it even more sensitive and/or go deeper?

Hold onto that coil for it Is a rare Bird. The new WOT's have changed..I installed two this winter for people and Both are so sensitive that you can only run them around 2 and this is in Brackish water. I installed JoelB's WOT, and I know the machine was fine because I installed a stock 10 inch, tested and confirmed in the water. Then I put the Newly designed WOT on and could only achieve stability at 2 in PP... He had a issue with that so I returned his money, he sent it to KelllyCo and I believe they are having the same issues...so the newer coils are not the best for the excaliburs...For Me,....... A good reason to give up working on them and become a Gold Loving and Hunting Pirate..

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
And there is no adjustment for that, only the tones...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold onto that coil for it Is a rare Bird. The new WOT's have changed..I installed two this winter for people and Both are so sensitive that you can only run them around 2 and this is in Brackish water. I installed JoelB's WOT, and I know the machine was fine because I installed a stock 10 inch, tested and confirmed in the water. Then I put the Newly designed WOT on and could only achieve stability at 2 in PP... He had a issue with that so I returned his money, he sent it to KelllyCo and I believe they are having the same issues...so the newer coils are not the best for the excaliburs...For Me,....... A good reason to give up working on them and become a Gold Loving and Hunting Pirate..
That's the one you installed for me! Thanks! You can't retire from working on them, you're my mod guy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread