Excalibur II 1000 - New Owner

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Being the current owner of a DFX and wanting to do more wet beach hunting, I decided to go for a new machine I didn't have to worry about taking in the water. After days and days of researching and looking at all the comments from the pros (that's ya'll) I decided on the Excalibur II 1000. From everything I've read this is supposed to be the best, I know everyone likes their own brand of machines but this one just kept coming up with the most good reviews and sounds like a beast for any kind of detecting. I was looking at the PI machines but I liked the idea of having the discrimination which I understand is basically useless on a PI. I went with the 10" vs the 8" because I understand it goes a little deeper and the area I'll be hunting is not real trashy. Any tips or tricks from current Excal owners would be greatly appreciated. Just got it from Kellyco this morning, got it on the charger now and I'm anxious to do some hunting.

Thanks in advance for any tips...

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tell new Excal and Sov GT owners to set the Volume on high as it will go. Sens at AUTO for learning the beast, Disc at 1 or 2 as you don't really have to worry about iron anymore. Threshold where you can barely hear it. Some guys like to hunt in Pinpoint which is All Metal and when they get a target they turn the knob to Disc. I don't bother with this as it just wears out the knob and if it makes any sound at all I scoop it.

While you really don't need to memorizes the sounds, it helps to lay a few targets on the ground that is clear of any metal targets to see how it reacts to various goodies. Of special interest is the sound it makes with a yellow gold ring and a pull tab. Make sure you can hear those as this is where most of the gold rings will be. Small white gold rings will sound more like foil. Just so you know you bought the best, lay a iron nail down very near a coin or gold ring and see what happens.

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks to both for the repsonse. Just curious, will the 10" be as sensetive to smaller gold as the the 8"? I was originally going to get the 8" but went with the 10" on the recommendation of the Kellyco rep.

Thanks again.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
When you get home and rinse off your machine, be sure and unsnap your lower rod and rinse it along with the inside of the shaft to get the salt out. If you don't it might freeze up on you like it did on mine. Had to replace my lower rod, cracked it while trying to unfreeze it. I now spray a little silicon on the part that goes into the shaft and no more problems. Good luck with your new machine. John

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks John appreciate the tip, will do.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
You may want straight shafts or a hip mount too....after an hour without,you'll be resting and waving ya arms around a lot! lol.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no trouble with the 10 inch coil finding earring backs and studs. Thanks Pockets, I forgot the silicone grease on the battery connector threads.

Attachments

• Earring studs & Backs.JPG
    Earring studs & Backs.JPG
    324.3 KB · Views: 364
OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Sounds great I can't wait to hit the beach, should be getting down there Monday evening or Tuesday morning, hopefully I'll have something to post. Thanks again for all the tips and help.

Happy Hunting

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s
TexasRT said:
Sounds great I can't wait to hit the beach, should be getting down there Monday evening or Tuesday morning, hopefully I'll have something to post. Thanks again for all the tips and help.

Happy Hunting

Where are you located?

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Been playing with the Excal 1000 this afternoon, just in the grass for now. Did the test everyone recommended (penny, dime, quarter, pull tab, 14k ring, and sterling ring) this thing makes more noises than an ice cream truck on Sunday LOL. I was able to actually tune out pulltabs and still pickup the clad and test rings. I didn't think that was possible with a detector until now. Looks like mastering pinpointing is going to be the trick. Thanks again to all for the help.

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
TexasRT said:
Been playing with the Excal 1000 this afternoon, just in the grass for now. Did the test everyone recommended (penny, dime, quarter, pull tab, 14k ring, and sterling ring) this thing makes more noises than an ice cream truck on Sunday LOL. I was able to actually tune out pulltabs and still pickup the clad and test rings. I didn't think that was possible with a detector until now. Looks like mastering pinpointing is going to be the trick. Thanks again to all for the help.

Hey, congrats on a nice machine :icon_thumleft:

Just take care when discriminating out the pull tabs... You will have a different hunting environment when you hit the beach and the electronics will have to be re-tuned. If you set it on the wrong side of "discriminating out the pull tabs," you have a good chance of ignoring the smaller / finer gold pieces under your coil. So to be safe I suggest you rather dig the pull tabs :-\

Another 5 cents from me would be to cycle your batteries. Even if they're NiMH and not supposed to build up memory, just do it. When you get home, leave the detector on to flatten the battery as far as possible before recharging. And when recharging, do a full charge as often as possible. A good example would be my laptop battery which only lasted 9 months (from new) because I never cycled it; it was always on the AC main charger. I cycle both of my Excal 1000 NiCd batts. Oh yes, I just remembered another thing... Sorry about the tech stuff but it's my field. Batteries need to be used (cycled) at least once in 6 months. If left longer without a cycle it deteriorates its charge holding ability. This wont be an issue for most of the gang here on T.Net! And keep the battery terminals dry at both detector and battery side at all times.

HH, OD ;)

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
OD - I'm sure once I hit the beach it will be dig it all. Thanks for the tips

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
Sandman said:
I have no trouble with the 10 inch coil finding earring backs and studs. Thanks Pockets, I forgot the silicone grease on the battery connector threads.

Sandman how the heck are you recovering those findings? On dry land I have no problems recovering them, but in neck deep water they give me a fit as well as studs falling through the holes on the scoop. (Large Sunspot)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread