Excalibur on land. A good fit?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my excal on land, it worked good. I just felt it was too heavy for the land hunting, and bought a light land unit to use on the occassions that I land hunt. On the beach I can cool off in the water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Treasure_Hunter I too have found the Excal a little on the heavy side on land, but the Sov GT is the same detector designed for land hunting. I've used the Sov. on land and it is a good machine since I never use LCD screens anyway. You can use all metal, but the disc. works fine since both ignore iron anyway and only report on more conductive metals like gold, silver, foil, pull tabs. With practice you can tell pretty good what the target is by the tone and the ramp up or ramp down sound. Neilo or Jeff could describe it better.

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The excal withthe straight shaft isnt too bad on the sand. I have a Quattro too, its much heavier with that 10" coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The excal works good on land, just heavy to carry all day, even with the strap. One thing nice though, you don't have to run to the car when a quick shower surprises you.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup a weather proof or water proof detector is great for those unexpected tickle showers

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Using the Excalibur on land the first thing is to mount it on a good balanced shaft. Settings on land depend on what you are after and where.On the beach I would set the discrimination to minimum this activates the iron mask feature and blanks out most iron objects apart from large ones. Because of the ease of digging I would dig all targets which do not discriminate out. A small gold ring or chain will sound the same as a small piece of alfoil,I would sooner dig a bit more rubbish than lose out on a nice ring or piece of jewelry.I would set the sensitivity to the maximum manual setting allowable before it starts giving false signals.A good indication is if you get signals as you raise and lower your coil it is set too high.On a park where it is harder digging and you would get a lot of rubbish I would set the disc setting to about 5, this setting will still allow you to find larger gold rings and coins whilst discriminating out a lot of your small rubbish items.The sensitivity set the same as the beach. I do not like using auto for sensitivity because if you are in an area of high mineralisation the machine over compensates and turns its own sensitivity down too low.If relic hunting use all metal and once again max senitivity manual setting, you can always turn your disc on if you want to identify whether your target is non ferrous.Here is something which most people dont realise if you are running in all metal a gold item has a completely different tone. Try it and you will see, with practice you will be able to recognise the difference. well good hunting seeya Neilo ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread