Exciting Day.....

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my post yesterday I mentioned I was going back to that coastal town that I went to yesterday. It is not a big town with only about 8-9 banks. Just as I was getting into this town I saw a Wal-Mart that had a bank inside of it & figured I would hit it last on my way back out since I haven't had much success at these banks inside of grocery stores.

I went to all of the other banks and bought every roll in every bank. At that time I probably had about 20-30 silver coins or so. I only had a few hundred dollars cash left so on my way out of town stopped at the bank at Wal-Mart. They had 10 rolls so I bought them. When I got to my car I checked a roll and the first coin I saw after opening the roll was a very worn Walker and the whole roll was silver....I gasped....grabbed the next.....all silver but about 3-4 coins....next roll was clad....next roll silver. I got 5 rolls of silver from the 10. Needless to say I was excited but more tickled at the amount of 1964's in these rolls.

When I left Wal-Mart I went through this even smaller town (about 5 miles out) that had only two banks. I stopped at the first one & they told me they had 80 rolls...well I only had $200 dollars left and bought 20 rolls. Those 20 produced alot of silver too.

I got all excited again and went to dump the clad (20-25 miles away) and went back but the lobby was closed. Small town branch closed at 2:00pm. I went to the drive thru but she couldn't get into the vault. Needless to say I will be there at 9:00am tomorrow morning.....I have a real good feeling about it.

Also found a couple of coins that are clipped on the side...wondering if these are from the mint or happened in circulation. another one is maybe a weak die stamp....not sure of the terminology on those.

Total finds:
1-Walker (unknown date)
25-1964
4-1965
21-1966
45-1967
40-1968
24-1969
160 Silver Coins

Anyway...enough of the rambling....here are the pictures.....

Attachments

• P2200051.jpg
    P2200051.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 368
  • P2200050.jpg
    P2200050.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 372
  • P2200056.jpg
    P2200056.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 366
  • P2200057.jpg
    P2200057.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 370
  • P2200052.jpg
    P2200052.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 365
  • P2200046.jpg
    P2200046.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 364
  • P2200053.jpg
    P2200053.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Good Lord!
LJ you cleaned up again!
Nice job!
I'm telling you that 5000 is on the close horizon!

PS: Did you hammer that bent half or smash it in the vise?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing haul, LJ. Congrats!

That clip looks like it has a die break (called a cud) near the word "trust" so you've got yourself a double error there! And since both errors are uncommon on larger coins I'd put it in the $40-$50 range.

Sounds like we're on Antiques Roadshow!

odinthedog

Feb 7, 2007
DANG! That is really great!

That walker's been walking a long time, the roads of life and the things she's seen, WOW.

I'm glad you can put her into retirement.

Great jorb!

Cheers! Happy hunting!

/

twincapes

Jan 21, 2007
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 w Pro performance coil, Garrett Pro-pointer
Holy Cow, LJ! Still clear-cuttin the bayou, I see :)...I can't even find a bank around here that has any halves on hand. Keep up the good work.

bama #1

Dec 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You remind me of some of the guys I fish against. They always bring in lots of fish when I cant get a bite.congrats ;D

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
AHHHH........ I know that I would be up all night thinking about all those rolls at the bank. hope you post tomarrows finds ASAP. Great finds today, I would love to someday see a picture of a you halves. You just have to post your compleat collection in the best finds section. your run is incredible and you are amazing for taking advantage. Needless to say, your are going to have the luckiest grandkids in the world. Nice pics too.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
:o Wow the glass door is beautiful,so are the chairs from what I can see! Oh and I like the silver as well. ROFL ;) Congratulations Mrs. Silver Seeker ;D

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Exciting Day.....Update

I was back at the bank bright and early to buy the 60 rolls left over from yesterday...it produced 20 keepers. I must have got the best of the batch yesterday. The anticipation of the drive there was all I could stand....lol. I was thinking entire rolls...lol. It was fun searching.

1-1964
1-1965
2-1966
6-1967
5 each - 68 & 69

Tomorrow my two boxes come in.....more anticipation.....ha! Also picked up one Ike.

G

george from NJ

Lj,

You seem to be very fortunate with this hobby. I'm new to the board and have never heard of CRH before last week. I would have assumed that any rolled coins would be of the newer years from the US Mint. I guess this isn't true. So does a new comer just go into a bank and ask for rolled coins? How much would a newbee need to start out with? (before wearing out his welcome) How about the left overs? Do you just re-deposit them back a few days later and does the bank clerks then hide when you come back in?

My son in law is a bank manager so if there are some tips on CRH that maybe he could help me with I would appreciate it if you could share some thoughts.

I'm in the process of being laid off so I'll have plenty of time to do this and maybe even make a little money doing so.

Thanks for the help!
George

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
george from NJ said:
Lj,

You seem to be very fortunate with this hobby. I'm new to the board and have never heard of CRH before last week. I would have assumed that any rolled coins would be of the newer years from the US Mint. I guess this isn't true. So does a new comer just go into a bank and ask for rolled coins? How much would a newbee need to start out with? (before wearing out his welcome) How about the left overs? Do you just re-deposit them back a few days later and does the bank clerks then hide when you come back in?

My son in law is a bank manager so if there are some tips on CRH that maybe he could help me with I would appreciate it if you could share some thoughts.

I'm in the process of being laid off so I'll have plenty of time to do this and maybe even make a little money doing so.

Thanks for the help!
George

First of all....Welcome aboard George. Second, sorry to hear about you being laid off.

After talking to your son-in-law, maybe you could give us some tips...lol. I am sure he has some great insight on this subject.

The area I am in George obviously has little competition or possibly none anymore. I have seen signs of other CRH'ers but not many. Yes, just go into a bank and ask for rolls of half dollars. I would buy every roll you can get your hands on. Talk to the tellers about anyone possibly dropping halves off in large quantities to find out if there is someone else in your area CRH'ing. I try to keep the tellers happy (especially at dump banks) with breakfeast every so often....a little chit chat if they are slow never hurts. You certainly don't want to search someone's dumps. I have accounts at different banks just to buy and dump. I dump them same day or noon the next day depending on my schedule. If you have trouble finding rolls you can ask your bank if they can order a box for you which is 50 rolls/$500. They order once a week. After a while you will get a system worked out in your area.

I am fairly new to this hobby also....about 2 months now, but some of the folks in here are old salts....lol.....have been doing it awhile with alot of knowledge that can definitely add to what I have mentioned. Hopefully they will chime in with more information.

Don't forget to talk to your son-in-law and give us some feedback.

I wish you all the luck and let us know how you do...post the results of your finds please. Again....welcome George.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread