Exciting discovery

mag

Jun 8, 2007
Now before anyone thinks about it, I'm not bashing any detectors, only making an example of how adjusting one machine might change how you think about adjusting another.

A little background information before revealing what I’ve discovered about the Fisher F75. More than 10 years ago I started inquiring about some old locations I hunt. Most of the locations are old, shut down schools where coal was used as a heating source for decades. Before the EPA was birthed most people did whatever pleased them when it came to disposing of waste, regardless of what it was and these old school sites are no exception. The burnt coal waste was spread over many acres of school property which created some extremely harsh ground conditions. Grass and weeds find it hard to get a start and most areas are void of any vegetation. Most of the school grounds look like Martian landscapes with small BB size or smaller pieces of coal waste everywhere. This material attracts to a magnet with little effort and can reduce depth of all VLF detectors by well over half. In fact until recently maximum detection depth was actually 2-3”, any target deeper would give a solid iron audio report if any sound at all. After many years of hunting these areas all but completely unsuccessfully I finally purchase a White’s TDI SL.
It turned out the SL opened up these old sites and many nice coins and relics were unearthed, but not without many trials and numerous adjustments. Case in point: one particular area had been, in my opinion hunted out with many different VLF machines over a 10 year period and I was certain there were no good targets left. I had been hunting about 15 minutes and all the SL was giving were very short audio reports, which sounded more like chatter or EMI and not targets. This prompted me to increase the time delay to about 15 “which increases the time before a transmitted signal is analyzed” thinking the small pieces of coal waste were the short reports I was hearing. Continued hunting another 5 minutes and noticed the short audio chatter continued but not to the same magnitude. Stopping and increased the delay to around 17 and off I went hunting again. Suddenly I noticed the machine was running very quiet, to quiet. A minute or two later and a very loud low tone, which on the SL means a high conductor, I stopped and reduced the delay to 10 and found my definite answer. The coal waste was causing all the ground chatter and false audio reports. Increased the delay to 17 and recovered a wheat penny around 4” deep. Now to be honest I had to stop for a moment and think about what just happened. Decided to start over I returned to where I began hunting and discovered I had passed right over many good targets. After digging a few more wheat’s I decided to start checking these targets before digging and discovered if I decreased the delay most of these targets became the short sounding audio reports I had heard earlier. The PI was just the trick to discovering some nice coins deeper than 4” in these barren areas. I must add the SL is not the best choice to make if there is an over abundance of nails because of the very limited discrimination capabilities of this particular machine. As a final note I must admit this machine has opened up a lot of hunted out harsh ground sites. Now on to the next story, but this time with my Deus and the Fisher F75 at a different location.

While hunting one day at a different location I noticed a lot of broken/clipped audio reports from the XP Deus in a particular area, and of course remembering the experience with the PI machine, I started adjusting as many different settings as I could think of and finally found that the full tone mode (only changed the audio function) provided the best of audio signals, dug some and found they were, indeed, good targets. At that point I was well pleased with the Deus, and after discovering this I continued to dig many more good targets. After a good bit of time I decided to break out the F75 and hunt the same area hunted with the Deus. Amazing to find there were still many more targets in this area, all giving extremely short, more like chatter audio reports, I started experimenting with the different settings on the F75. Sensitivity up and down brought no change in the audio. Finally going to my old faithful 1F with discrimination of 15 and some, only a very small percentage of the audio signals began to smooth out, but not enough to prompt me to dig. Not happy with the results I decided to try each process and nothing changed the signals. Then remembering the only changed needed on the Deus to detect similar targets was to change to full tone, but the F75 doesn’t have that choice, well I was kind of wrong. Changed to dP tones and wow it did just as good as the Deus, in fact the audio was slightly better, more smooth, cleaner start and finish of the audio signal. Interesting to say the least, so I decided to change and go through each of the process and found the dp tones was the setting that was necessary to hunt this area. Interesting note, my understanding of dp is it only changes the audio, has nothing to do with depth, sensitivity and discrimination, but I believe there is more to dp.

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for pointing out your experiences. I've often wondered when someone really knocks a machine or really raves about it -- in whose hands and what settings? A given machine in experienced hands may give much better results than when in a beginners.
luvsdux

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one thing I keep hearing about the Deus from it's owners is how they can pick out a good target amongst iron etc based up the tone they hear. Seems to me dp gives you that same ability. I have been guilty of just using 2F based upon that being a suggested selection by relic hunters in the owner's manual. Never noticed that dp is also "good for relic hunting" per the manual.

Thanks for posting this, going to try it on my next outing. Old dogs do learn new tricks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread