Expanded Metal Classifier - best design?

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should state that even after adding the second sander I still only use one at a time. One is really all that is needed as long as the battery end is connected to the plate.
Something I only discovered after mounting the second sander. But now I have a spare for backup if needed. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks GG! :occasion14:
I have a smaller frame to vibrate, I was hoping just one sander would do the job. Then I wouldn't have to factor in the second sander offsetting the others vibration. Have Harbor Freight coupon in hand :notworthy:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks GG! :occasion14:
I have a smaller frame to vibrate, I was hoping just one sander would do the job. Then I wouldn't have to factor in the second sander offsetting the others vibration. Have Harbor Freight coupon in hand :notworthy:

Getting the counterbalance's synchronized with each other is tricky and getting them to stay synchronized is impossible with out making a mechanical connection between the two.

Besides, one is plenty as long as everything that needs to be vibrated is rigidly connected together and to where you mount the sander. :icon_thumleft:
I had to add springs to the base to keep the whole thing from walking into the creek :tongue3:

springs.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to go to the hardware store to see what kind of springs they have and how I'm going to mount it. I want to get as much vibration as possible.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to go to the hardware store to see what kind of springs they have and how I'm going to mount it. I want to get as much vibration as possible.

I used discarded valve springs.

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the sander from Harbor Freight for less than $7.00 last night. I'm making a battery pack, 10 alkaline AA's should make 15 volts.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much of a sacrifice..... they cost 7.95 ea. at Harbor freight without batteries. I just connect them to a 12v deep cycle power chair battery and they will run all day.
The problem is the noise from all the vibrating. :tongue3:

Plus if you are going to run dual sanders the off sets need to be synchronized or else they may balance each other out.
They must also be tied together where the batteries would go as well as being screwed down to the mounting plate.
(unscrew the sanding plates and discard them then use the same screws to mount the sanders through the mounting plate.)

Now you can connect the whole unit to anything that needs severe vibrating.
View attachment 712995 View attachment 712996
GG, suggestion.... add a rheostat to one of the sanders to do the syncronizing. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread