Expedition Unknown - "Lost Gold Of Scotland" - Any thoughts on show or episodes ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
AARC
I don't know about that story but I do know of one true story related to Jacobite gold as described here:
Perhaps the most significant event in Tongue's history came in early 1746 when the ship Hazard, en route for Inverness, fled into the Kyle of Tongue to evade the HMS Sheerness, a Royal Navy frigate. The Hazard was carrying over £13,000 of gold coins to fund Bonnie Prince Charlie's rebellion against the government, the Auld Enemy, which the crew took ashore in an effort to carry it overland to its destination. The forces of the Mackays, who were supporters of the government, caught up with the crew of the Hazard at Loch Hacken, near the southern end of the Kyle of Tongue. The gold was thrown into the loch by the crew before they were captured, though most of it was later recovered by the government. When word reached Bonnie Prince Charlie he sent 1500 of his men in an effort to regain the gold but they were defeated en route. Some believe that had these lost tr;oops still been available a short time later at the Battle of Culloden the outcome of the Battle may have been different, significantly altering the fate of Scotland.
Years ago, I went to Loch Hacken looking for more gold coins--but never found any. On old maps is noted a gold coin had been found there in the mid-1800s; supposedly from this incident. This is the land of my forefathers--who, I believe, must have recovered some of that treasure.
Aye, Don....

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven’t seen that episode, but in general, I like the guy but he never finds anything or presents anything new

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC
I don't know about that story but I do know of one true story related to Jacobite gold as described here:
Perhaps the most significant event in Tongue's history came in early 1746 when the ship Hazard, en route for Inverness, fled into the Kyle of Tongue to evade the HMS Sheerness, a Royal Navy frigate. The Hazard was carrying over £13,000 of gold coins to fund Bonnie Prince Charlie's rebellion against the government, the Auld Enemy, which the crew took ashore in an effort to carry it overland to its destination. The forces of the Mackays, who were supporters of the government, caught up with the crew of the Hazard at Loch Hacken, near the southern end of the Kyle of Tongue. The gold was thrown into the loch by the crew before they were captured, though most of it was later recovered by the government. When word reached Bonnie Prince Charlie he sent 1500 of his men in an effort to regain the gold but they were defeated en route. Some believe that had these lost tr;oops still been available a short time later at the Battle of Culloden the outcome of the Battle may have been different, significantly altering the fate of Scotland.
Years ago, I went to Loch Hacken looking for more gold coins--but never found any. On old maps is noted a gold coin had been found there in the mid-1800s; supposedly from this incident. This is the land of my forefathers--who, I believe, must have recovered some of that treasure.
Aye, Don....

Interesting.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t seen that episode, but in general, I like the guy but he never finds anything or presents anything new

Yeah the guy is tolerable to watch and listen to... good attitude and not goofy about it.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was just flipping in A.M. and another episode is on... Butch Cassidy... the guy is in Vegas dressed up as Hunter S. Thompson.

Ok now I really like this guy. heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread