Explorer II

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Been thinking of upgrading from my Whites XLT to a minelab, and found a used Explorer II for sale at $800. Don't know much about this machine and would welcome comments. The good things that I've heard concern the depth of silver finds, and the negative are the unit's weight and difficulty in pinpointing. Comments are welcome and requested. Thanks and Happy Hunting!

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
That is too much for a used Explorer II, I sold mine about 6 months ago for $750.00 with two coils and the X-1 Probe. I had already bought a E-Trac in August 2008 and was very happy with it and I didn't want to sell the Exp. until I knew the E-Trac was just a good or better. My partner started noticing that my silver count had increase so he just got a used E-Trac last month for 1100.00 and he will be selling his old Explorer II with the X-1 probe very soon, and it will be less than $800.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is alot , Igot an xs for $400. I would still try to find an explorer though, don't be afraid of the xs either. I could'nt be happier. The weight is bearable, pinpointing takes a little getting used to. Coins pinpoint small and accurately, if I have trouble its ussaully something else.

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
way too much for the explorer II. I believe it is every bit as good as any in the explorer family and actually preferred by a few who have upgraded and gone back to it. Its not hard to find a stock II under $500, of course you can expect to pay more for accessories. Its also not hard to find testimony from long time whites users (xlt/dfx) who made the switch and never looked back, pulling deep silver out of their hunted out spots they've hit for years with the xlt's and dfx's. I guess it depends what you are after. I think the white's will ID gold better, but for deep silver, there is only one way to go! :icon_thumleft: JJ

OP
OP
Possumguts

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm still looking at all the info on the Minelab and perhaps this winter I'll make the jump.

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
My advice BEFORE buying an Explorer if you have never used one: Buy Andy Sabisch's Etrac/Explorer handbook. Then download the explorer II manual available online free of charge. Then download the explorer II emulator with US coin files available free of charge on the MLO forum website. Then read the manual, read Andy's book, re-read both again, (and maybe again) and familiarize yourself with the machine on the emulator. The emulator won't have all settings available to adjust but will have most. You will be leaps and bounds ahead of the game before your machine ever shows up to your door. If you decide not to buy the Exp II, Andy's book will not be hard to unload. JJ

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well since we are giving tips now to, check youtube for videos that show sounds etc.
A video can show what a text can't explain. :wink:

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Hey Possumguts, You and I are in the same situation. I use a XLT and have been thinking MineLab for the past few months. My club president (MWAS) I think was getting tired of me whining about getting one, so he gave me his Explorer II to use for a week or so to see if I really wanted one. He gave me a short introduction on how to turn it on and a few tips and sent me home with it.
I took it out to my front yard which has gave up a lot of silver and has been beat to death by my XLT and my friends MXT and DFX. I was pretty sure it was all cleaned out. I turned the MineLab on to the preset factory settings and took off searching not knowing really what to suspect. In about 1½ hours I got 2 memorial cents, a clad quarter, and a '56-D Rossie out of this "clean" yard.
Yesterday I took it to a park that is real trashy, but I do find a few coins with the XLT. The Explorer did a fantastic job separating the trash out from the coins and I walked out with over $3 of clad in about 2 hours. I know there is silver there and if I had a little more experience the Explorer would have found it.
I am going to hate to have to give this detector back. I want one for sure now.
~KANSAS~

Attachments

• Oct 04 09 002.jpg
    Oct 04 09 002.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 314

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions