Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not, and if you believe the folks that tell you the pro coil is better, I'll offer you $50 trade-in value towards the cost on my brand new - never used (not even once) Pro coil I'll soon have for sale. Assuming your coil works 100% and doesn't look like it's been through a lot. Those early coils didn't tend to last long so if you plan to use it you should definitely seal all the seams better, or you could have moisture issues in the near future.

OP
OP
biguglydude

biguglydude

Feb 26, 2010
Detector(s) used
Explorer S
Hummm…I guess I’ll have to give it a good going over and check for cracks. I’ve had this S about 8 months, seems to working ok. I’m not an expert yet but, it has done well at the beach and parks I’ve searched. Some parts of the park I can’t detect because it sounds like a band full of flutes playing different songs!
:read2: I am a reader and I have read a lot of articles about guys putting 12” coils on these and almost doubling their depth and 5” coils to find smaller gold type pieces. My biggest concern was how this unit operates. Aside from the newer features (some I could live without) are the detection algorithms for discrimination still the same? I was hoping the older units operate the same as the newer ones just without all the extra bells and whistles. But then again technology does evolve. Are the coils made today better than coils 10 -15 years old?
:coffee2:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
your S is the same like SE pro except coil and few other stuff, but basic electronic is the same,sounds,recovery speed- simply most important things. you can use it successfully and with proud and smile like other explorer users, coil too very good if its works, you can buy this coils today for 50 $. if you want small coil ask IP he will answer you with love about this little beasts :laughing7: seriously you have what you need to have nice detecting time- enjoy it, and buy garrett pro pinpointer or sunray x-1 probe, but simple way is pro pointer. good luck Stasys

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
biguglydude said:
Hummm…I guess I’ll have to give it a good going over and check for cracks. I’ve had this S about 8 months, seems to working ok. I’m not an expert yet but, it has done well at the beach and parks I’ve searched. Some parts of the park I can’t detect because it sounds like a band full of flutes playing different songs!
:read2: I am a reader and I have read a lot of articles about guys putting 12” coils on these and almost doubling their depth and 5” coils to find smaller gold type pieces. My biggest concern was how this unit operates. Aside from the newer features (some I could live without) are the detection algorithms for discrimination still the same? I was hoping the older units operate the same as the newer ones just without all the extra bells and whistles. But then again technology does evolve. Are the coils made today better than coils 10 -15 years old?
:coffee2:

Stasys is right, the electronics are the same, or so close that there is nothing to worry about. It's the same as the XS, and the XS is as good as any. He is also right that I hate small coils, but what I was saying in my first reply is that I believe the early 10.5" are the best all around coil for that size. If you want more coverage, or feel more comfortable in trash with a small coil, then there's nothing stopping you from doing it. But I sure wouldn't part with that coil for the new pro coil, and I did just the opposite a while back, sold a pro coil and now use an old one the same as what you have.

Check the bottom of your coil where Minelab used epoxy to seal the seems. The early coils had what looked like hundreds of pinhole type holes and I suspect that was the cause for the moisture problems. I have a thread going right to find out what will be the best way to seal my two old coils to make them last.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,365503.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread