hip mount kit for excal 2

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Tried out my hip mount kit on Coquina beach, Florida. After struggling to get the buttons pressed to disengage the battery and controls from the shaft, the next challenge was to adjust the stiff belt to size. Its not easy for arthritic hands to manipulate these things! Anyway, I finally made the switch to the belt and was off to test my new lighter shaft on the beach along with my new
beachmaster scoop. The hip mount kit required a large lump of electric tape to prevent damage to the coil cable. Pretty basic type of setup for a kit that cost more than 50$ True value is probably about 18$. A handy person could have made their own with a good nylon belt. The hipmount worked fine and I was happy That my arm was not so tired after about 3 hours of swinging. the scoop was a little small and required several attempts to recover some clad. At least I saved my back from stooping over a hundred or more times. Overall I had a great day even tho the pickings were slim. Looking forward to hunting again tomorrow. Kellyco advised me to buy this hipmount kit instead of the minelab
hipmount or the bungee cord things. So far I'm happy with my purchase.

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
got my hip mount for Excal II and the nylon bolts were too short to mount the unit--went to Lowes and got what i needed---easier that way. If anyone else orders from Kellyco be sure to ask them about the length of their mounting hardware for the Excal II

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't messed with a hip mount in years for the Excal and think the neck mount is better. Ya don't have to buy it from "that place again." I took about 12" off a leg for a broken alum lawn chair and just drilled hole for the ears of the battery and control box. Drilled another hole at one end for attaching an old camera strap. Three nylon bolts and wing nuts and you are set. This way I can reach the knobs easy too.

OP
OP
G

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the advice Joel and Sandman. I'm not too handy anymore since my hands are suffering from arthritis. The neck mount with a camera strap seems like a winner. I have to use a hip mount since my neck is shot too. The kellyco people should have told me about the hip mount before I spent over 100$ for the over and under shaft. I could have used the stock shaft. I also spent 50$ on a knob guard which I should have returned. Doris sent me a nylon wingnut which was supposed to be longer to make the coil support work . Not happening. The wing nut is the same size as the stock wing nut. Went out today again with slim pickings. Holmes beach in Fl was beautiful and started to get more tourists. Maybe tomorrow!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one I made that is on the "Treasure Related Stuff For Sale" you can hang it around your neck or attached it to your waist.....I am like sandman I perfered hanging it around my neck, now I mount controls on the straight shaft all the time. I could have made you one for about $12-$15 depending on if you wanted stainless or nylon harware plus shipping.... It is light so shipping would not have been much at all....

I prefer the nylon bolts, they are a lot easier to work with and no possible damage to the housing from over tighting. Eye bolts and nuts are stainless...

DSCF3245-1.jpg

If your arm bothers you, you should be using the harness with bungee....Worth every penny...About $20.00

lejermonModel-Sharness-2.jpg

OP
OP
G

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
Thanks treasurehunter for the reply. I'll keep you in mind if I need another hip mount. I might order the bungee to help ease some of my arm fatigue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread