Explorer SE Pro acting really stupid on copper pennies.

mattw

Mar 31, 2009
Homer, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000 & Classic ID
So, last night I got some hunting time in at a new place and decided to use the SE. I had a Sunray X-8 coil on since it was kinda trashy with nails. Right off the bat I started getting very solid 01-29's, thought it was going to be a great evening, dug the first and it was a 3 to 4 inch early 70's penny. Thought it was a little odd and kept going. I dug 7 more 01-29 copper pennies during the evening.

So, What is up with the odd TID? We are very dry, but this is the first time I have noticed that behavior. I have heard others mention it, but have not seen a good explanation of the phenomenon. Any ideas? What would happen to the TID of real silver, would it wrap to iron?

Matt

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Check your sensitivity settings, you are running a small coil which is more sensitive. A penny is a big target to a small coil if your are running at high sensitivity settings. This will effect your readings, as also will mineralisation. Try running at a lower sensitivity in manual. If you are running auto sensitivity in a high setting the machine can run too high in mineralised ground and effect the readings. You are far safer going by the tones of the target rather than concentrating on numbers which will vary considerably especially at depth. seeya neilo ;D

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
neilo said:
Check your sensitivity settings, you are running a small coil which is more sensitive. A penny is a big target to a small coil if your are running at high sensitivity settings. This will effect your readings, as also will mineralisation. Try running at a lower sensitivity in manual. If you are running auto sensitivity in a high setting the machine can run too high in mineralised ground and effect the readings. You are far safer going by the tones of the target rather than concentrating on numbers which will vary considerably especially at depth. seeya neilo ;D
Good point

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the sounds can change a lot of my Explorer depending on the ground moisture so the numbers changing too wouldn't be a big surprise. If the change is coming on the same type of ground then obviously there's another issue affecting the readings.

OP
OP
mattw

mattw

Mar 31, 2009
Homer, IL
Detector(s) used
I am going with running to hot, until I get to try again... It appears that the X-8 is a really hot little coil, it is the newest coil to the stable and I don't have a lot of time with it yet. It is so stable and quite that I just maxed the SE in semi-auto and ran with it. I could do it because there was very little debris in the section of yard I was working.

Thanks Matt

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mattw said:
I am going with running to hot, until I get to try again... It appears that the X-8 is a really hot little coil, it is the newest coil to the stable and I don't have a lot of time with it yet. It is so stable and quite that I just maxed the SE in semi-auto and ran with it. I could do it because there was very little debris in the section of yard I was working.

Thanks Matt

In auto sense you don't know if you're running it hot because there's no way to know.

OP
OP
mattw

mattw

Mar 31, 2009
Homer, IL
Detector(s) used
I have not found anything that documents the backoff in semi-auto, is there anything about it published? I know that when in manual, in town, I have to back down to the 16-18 range to keep it stable.

Matt

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mattw said:
I have not found anything that documents the backoff in semi-auto, is there anything about it published? I know that when in manual, in town, I have to back down to the 16-18 range to keep it stable.

Matt

No way to know, and if you have to back down that low on man. sense it's probably fair to assume the detector is adjusting down that low as well.... maybe even lower because I don't know if Minelab has ever said just how low the auto will drop down. For that reason man. sense is better because you know what you're getting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread