Explorer SE pro’s depth equal to the E-trac?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll be the first that inner workings of a machine is a total ??? to me so I can't comment on the tech part of it, but I had both machines at the same site and the Etrac seemed the same as the SE Pro for depth. It was just better for target separation and the ctx is all that better. The etrac on relic mode still loves hot rocks and in my area can be a total pain as the solid depths can be really minimum in some areas. For tones it's the same or so close I had no problem going from one machine to the other, the #'s game seemed to right on for the Etrac. I have done three different spots with the three machines and I can only say that each step up the ladder it gets better in the finds department.
I've stated before there is this little horseshoe shaped park hit it with the SE, then I did it with the Etrac to the point of getting only a penny or two, digging lots of trash to justify digging. Went with the CTX and pulled out a couple of hundred more coins and 20+ silver.( This is from numerous hunts in the spring and fall seasons) The only reasoning behind the huge difference in finds was the ability of the machine in target separation. The targets that produced coinage the #'s were pretty well all over the map, but it was the high tone sound beside the low (running the machine wide open) if in the silver program it was a high before the null. Each coin target also produce either a bottle cap, or a mixture of caps and tabs. This went for the silvers also with many other things in the hole to mask the silver. The silver being all dimes as the bigger silver was caught with the other two machines.

The one thing that still I'm not happy about is I have retrieved another silver from a hole after I returned on the next hunt. This has happened a few times and it hasn't changed between the three machines, simply put Minelabs hate air and fluffy soils as a freshly dug hole, so if there's multi. targets one can get let behind. Just a few things that I can recall sitting here looking at a snowy world.

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Pepperj,

Thank you for the very informative post.

Regards,

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most outstanding reply pepperj!
Professor, post this on the Minelab forum please.
Peace ✌

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor, everything Pepper said I can relate to and acknowledge, exception being the CTX never used one or hunted against one. He's spot on pertaining to the se pro and etrac though, LOL but ya know me I still think the se pro can hit deeper then the etrac :thumbsup:

That's why so many people are switching to the duex think I spelled that correct, as supposedly it has better separation than a minelab.

I like depth, as my two most hunted types of area are for relics and the beach so depth is my cup of tea. I do see a slight loss of separation in heavy trashed sites, so perhaps as Pepper said the etrac or CTX would be better for me there. Matter of fact I was just out to a heavy trashed park Saturday with a 5" coil on and its just real slow with a Se pro to separate the trash out and pick those high silver sounds out.

Thank you for your comparison Pepper, now I realize my limitations, thought it was all me LOL.

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello TheSleeper,

Thank you for the reply. I do like my Explorer SE (11" DD Coil) and have tried your detector settings with success. My SE has a problem with the display; it misaligns in the cold, but otherwise operates perfectly. Minelab Tech said it could be a $ 150 dollar fix (LCD replacement) or $ 754 (motherboard) and the problem will get worse (cold and hot) as time goes on. So I'm a wrestling with idea of replacing the machine with an E-trac or CTX-3030.
The main reason for the post is to determine if finding a used or NOS Explorer SE would be a good option verses purchasing (warranty important on a $2500 dollar purchase) new one of the other two machines.

Thank you again,

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One would think the manufactures could do better!
It is really great you can compare machines. I was thinking of the CTX for salt water but now I don't know. This is what I love about TNet! Knowledge!

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello MsBeepbeep,

I use the Garrett Infinium L/S for my water hunting, water transitions and other machines for the dry beach.

Regards,

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ty I am glad my settings helped you.

Bummer Professor, wow I can't believe those prices they quoted you, that's ridiculous.

I don't know the first thing about a CTX so I can't comment about that, I guess it amounts to your finances at the time. I can see the etracs being phrased out sooner or later in favor of designs like the CTX, but you will still have a lifespan of a few years with it before that occurs. I think it would be an easier transition from the Se to an etrac then to a CTX, but with what Pepper said about the CTX, I honestly don't know. I believe since he has access to and uses all three (Se/Se pro/CTX)he could better assist you then I can.
I know there are still some Se pro's new in box with full warranty available, but heck you'll be spending 950 or so for an out of production machine, when a lil bit more you can have a current machine.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist ya.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I loved my SE as it was the first detector when I picked up a machine again and it was a huge transition from running Whites exclusively forever. The SE on the beach was getting depths that I just scratched my head thought this is crazy who's ever going to believe me because I'm having a difficult time and I'm digging the target out. 50 cal bullets were down there and sounded up solid as did a quarter.

If given a choice today what machine would I go for CTX or a Deus I'm really thinking a Deus as it's the weight issue and what I've been reading it seems to be gaining in popularity as the go to machine in iron laden sites for it's separation. I will say the CTX is light feeling after using the three previous models the design of the machine helps with the weight issue.

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello "Pepperj",

I have read some posts that the CTX-3030 may leak if the gasket is incorrectly installed, this will not be a problem because it will never go in the water. I have another machine for water hunting. Target separation seems to be very much improved, as well as, visual screen and menus on the CTX. Many forum members have, like you, suggested the CTX-3030 may be the choice for me.

I thank you and "TheSleeper" for all of your time and suggestions.

Best Regards,

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello "Pepperj",

I have read some posts that the CTX-3030 may leak if the gasket is incorrectly installed, this will not be a problem because it will never go in the water. I have another machine for water hunting. Target separation seems to be very much improved, as well as, visual screen and menus on the CTX. Many forum members have, like you, suggested the CTX-3030 may be the choice for me.

I thank you and "TheSleeper" for all of your time and suggestions.

Best Regards,

My 3030 is going for repair this week as it died this fall, the gasket did leak and the battery terminals corroded from being in days of rain and moisture. It's never seen underwater detecting so that wasn't it, but it died had a black line down the screen, and it didn't turn on even in the end. The repair centre seemed to know and said no problem send it in and we'll fit it up. The gasket should be taken out and cleaned as it seems to collect dust and grit from just handling the batteries.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
prof of engineering: Yes the SE pro and the Etrac are the same for depth. Good answers you've gotten so far from others as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread