Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Fort DeSoto in St. Petersburg FL requires a permit.

It just shows that you read and understand the rules about where to detect, what you can and cannot take. The park has protected historical sites in it.

It would have been real easy to just say no, so I appreciate the fact that they didn't.

Fort De Soto park

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 2.52.50 PM.png

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome you guys were legit! THANKS! Good rep of our hobby!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I had no idea they had detecting permits but I agree with Msbeepbeep, it is very good you did and gave our hobby a good name.

Coinman123,

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Is this area in Orange County. I just got my Permit. I live in North Carolina

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinellas county.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orange County Florida requires permit...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort DeSoto in St. Petersburg FL requires a permit.

It just shows that you read and understand the rules about where to detect, what you can and cannot take. The park has protected historical sites in it.

It would have been real easy to just say no, so I appreciate the fact that they didn't.

Fort De Soto park

View attachment 1117368

I md that park from top to bottom since I was kid.
And helped with ordinance removal and locations... and volunteered there for years.
I know every inch of those keys and the surrounding islands.
and verde island chain.
One of Floridas best areas.
one word... Beautiful.

Last edited:

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dads in his 70's and got carded for cigarettes in Indiana. No joke.

OP
OP
CladMoonRising

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in San Jose, CA and a permit is required to hunt in all city parks. It costs $40 and it's good for a year. It's valid at 100 + city parks, even the oldest ones. Marc

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this area in Orange County. I just got my Permit. I live in North Carolina

Are you saying permits are required in North Carolina? Sorry just confused and want to make sure because we have family there and had planned on detecting there and taking my nephew and brother in law out to show them the ropes. Getting so stupid with the laws now I never am sure where to expect a required permit. Peoples trash is more of a concern than us digging, not like were digging a swimming pool.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New York City also requires a permit and there are restrictions as to what parks you can hunt and even which days. I have been asked for my permit by the NYC parks guys which I promptly produced. I've also had the NYPD pull up to talk to me. Seems someone complained about guys digging in the park. I pulled out my permit to show them and they were impressed. They weren't even aware there was a permit to detect. They were nice guys and simply said that someone complained and they just had to follow up. I showed them exactly how I did a hole to remove an item and they could see how neat I was. They said they couldn't even tell I dug a hole. This is a great time to mention: ALWAYS be neat when digging in a public park and whenever possible leave the park so that nobody could tell you were ever there. In different towns across the country metal detecting has been banned because of those leaving holes and just causing a general mess. It hurts us all if you're not neat.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted some local parks that are very old that are perfectly fine with you detecting but require you get a permit....takes about 15 minutes and is good for 90 days.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm in San Jose, CA and a permit is required to hunt in all city parks. It costs $40 and it's good for a year. It's valid at 100 + city parks, even the oldest ones. Marc

Hey there clad-moon. I'm an hour south of you in Salinas. Interesting that someone up there finally got "carded" for that. Because if you talk to other San Jose club members, you'll see that in several decades, very few persons (1 ? 2?) can ever recall anyone being "carded". A friend of mine up there, in fact, tried HARD to get carded. He saw a park worker truck parked doing work. And purposefully detected all around the fellows, but they paid him no mind, doh!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Getting so stupid with the laws now I never am sure where to expect a required permit. ....

Bz-badger: Whatever was said in reference to NC, was only for a single entity or spot or whatever. Does not mean the "entire state".

And I love your quote. It illustrates the phenomenom that occurs whenever this subject of "permits", or "bootings", or "laws" comes up: NO MATTER HOW ISOLATED and far away the occurrence may be, yet people reading it do exactly as you have done: Begin worrying that there may be such a thing, or danger, where they're at.

While several people have come on this thread listing the "permits" at wherever/wherever they are, yet ... truth-be-told, "permits" are very rare in any city or entity. I can think of only 3 places in all of CA (a county parks and 2 city parks), in the entire state of CA, that have dreamed up any such thing, for example.

And while "permits" sound wonderful (conjurs up images of being to hunt nilly-willy anywhere), they are actually problematic. Invariably they are riddled with silly rules like: "on sandy beaches only" ,or "digger tool shall not exceed 3" in length", or "turn in everything you find" , or "not within 20 ft. of a tree". And worse yet: there's been many instances of places that had such a thing, ultimately revoking all of them, and dis-allowing it altogether. Why? Because the mere fact it's something they "permit", simply means it's up for their perpetual annual review. And then sure as heck, someone eventually comes along saying "gee, do we really want all these yahoos digging up our parks and carting stuff home ?" Hence better that the laws/rules simply are silent on the subject. Neither "permitting" or "prohibiting". JMHO.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My concern wasn't for myself but for my nephew and his dad because I didn't want to plant in their heads they can just go dig like I do in MD. As far as permits I don't like the idea, it makes me feel that I have to attain permission from some sovereign entity so I can do what I already have a right to as a tax paying citizen. Also to have to carry said permit so when an authority figure deems it necessary to check on my legal activities is doing nothing more than stepping on my rights. As one who wore a badge for years it never crossed my mind to worry about people like us, an officers attention is needed for the pursuit of real dangers not for hole diggers. I know there ate some like Mr boom.baby that if not kept in check would dig up graves for "history" but the majority if us behave. Typical of our crybaby society, sickens me.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes! where are you located? Ive never heard of detecting permits

I want to THANK you for having your permits as needed!! That proves to them that MD'ers can be responsible law abiding people!
LOL
Yeah, In san Antonio and Austin permits are required too.
And, they have select parks you CAN MD in... not good ones though...
AND stupid rules like "no digging allowed"
AND no digging tools of any kind may be on your person...
My favorite rule... the one that says "you MUST assist an officer of the law if asked to retrieve something for someone"
Can you believe THAT one??
New Braunfels, no permit, but you can't detect in ANY city park... or where there is relevance of history (no duh)

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permits are required in parks here. Both county and city.
A few years back, I was detecting a huge soccer ⚽ park. Sidelines only. Well, the park ranger saw me, and went into high gear approaching. He asked if I had a permit. I already had it in hand. Showed him, and still got hassled. He told me not to break ANY rules? Or what, I thought.
Here I was, doing what I do and love, not hurting a sole, using proper plug digging, etc.
The following years permits restricted mding at said soccer ⚽ park. Doubt it was my actions, as I noticed unfilled holes regularly.
I hate to say it, but this lone experience has negated parks for me. I've been in the woods since.
I also communicate regularly with a neighboring county park commissioner to no avail. Always told parks are off limits due to past damage?
My perseverance has come to an end. :(
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread