Explorer settings

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
Hello explorer users! Can't search the forum for this so I guess I'll just ask and see what happens.
I have an Explorer ll and can't seem to get beyond that 6 inch range with the standard stock coil.
So I was wondering whats your favorite deep seeking settings for your Explorer.
Also any other tips would be awesome! I had the Explorer for a few months so at least
I should know what your talking about.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok..

Sensitivity in Manual as high as it remains stable
Gain at 8-9
Conduct sounds
Normal audio
Deep response
Iron mask -10

If your hunting relics use the same settings only use Ferrous tones and Iron Mask at -16.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to try very hard to set the detector to NOT get coins over 6 inches. I'm guessing you just haven't past over any, or your gain is too low and you're ignoring the sound.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iron Patch said:
I'd have to try very hard to set the detector to NOT get coins over 6 inches. I'm guessing you just haven't past over any, or your gain is too low and you're ignoring the sound.

Yes, lol, you have a point. Even with my little Joey I can get deeper then that. And I mean the coil.... :D

yotman1

Mar 5, 2009
Watervliet, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - also a dealer
hell i get deeper with that with my 8" coil - all the time.

Try tyese
Group A Settings:

DISPLAY CONTRAST - at 10

AUDIO VOLUME - Max Limit at 10

NOISE - at 5 (if interference from the power lines, other metal detectors, etc. is absent)

RESPONSE - Audio 1

RECOVERY: FAST - off and DEEP - on

GAIN - at 8 (even a deep target produces a loud signal)--Sometimes I lower the Gain level down to 7 when the junk concentration is high.

TH (treshold) TONE - at 5(on Explorer XS) and 8(on Explorer II)

VARIABILITY - at 10

LIMITS - at 10

SOUNDS on FERROUS (medium size ferrous targets don't respond with a high pitched tone as if of silver)
Group B Settings:

SENSITIVITY--usually as high as possible - a notch below a setting that makes my detector unstable, which is allowed by trash concentration, soil mineralization, and the search coil's size.

Sensitivity Settings for different sizes of Double "D" Waterproof Search Coils:

15 inches WOT Coil - 10-20

10.5 inches Standard Coil - up to 28

7.25 inches Coil - up to 32
DISCRIMINATION paterns vary greatly. I utilize IRON MASK for all types of metal detecting: I always keep IRON MASK at -16 and in OFF mode, and switch it ON only when I need to check a questionable signal. I usually utilize the Explorer's Discrimination factory settings to create desirable Discrimination paterns. Occasionally, I use LEARN and EDIT option programs in ADVANCED MODE to adjust Discrimination pattern for a particular target.

My basic Discrimination paterns:

For Relic Hunting and Cache Hunting - REJECT:"Nail", ACCEPT everything else

For Coin Shooting - ACCEPT: "Coins", "Jewelry", "Foil", "Pull Tab", "Screwcap"; REJECT: "Fe Coins", "Crowncap", and "Nail"

They come from my buddy Sergie!

i use them exclusively

Tim

dighistory

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II; Minelab Excalibur II; Garrett ACE250; Automax V4 Probe
If you get too involved chasing deeper setup patterns you might learn from my experience. New to the machine I was trying everything in one old yard and after no luck I accidentally held the power button too long after putting in a fresh battery pack as you know resetting the machine to factory defaults. I thought oh well I'm done here anyway and swept the coil back and forth on the way to the car. What do you know I found 13 thats THIRTEEN silver coins in an area I thought I had pounded. Every one of them at about 10" deep. Go figure.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dighistory said:
If you get too involved chasing deeper setup patterns you might learn from my experience. New to the machine I was trying everything in one old yard and after no luck I accidentally held the power button too long after putting in a fresh battery pack as you know resetting the machine to factory defaults. I thought oh well I'm done here anyway and swept the coil back and forth on the way to the car. What do you know I found 13 thats THIRTEEN silver coins in an area I thought I had pounded. Every one of them at about 10" deep. Go figure.

Your detector probably had a glitch of some sort which does happen from time to time. Twice I've hunted with people who were using explorers that weren't acting correctly and all that was needed was to be restarted. Both had used them that way for quite a while and had no idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread