Explorer XS

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Weather is finally getting better up here (50 miles from Canadian border). Anyway I picked up a used XS a couple months ago. I've been detecting about 17 years and have tried many machines including top end machines from all the major companies except Garrett, had an Ace 250 and sold it after a couple weeks. I've got a test garden that's been established for about a year. So after the snow was gone I took the XS out to check it out. I was impressed from the start, a quarter at 9" hit loud and clear in quickstart mode, no mistaking that high tone flutie sound. Next tried the dime I had at 7" it also hit hard and no mistaking it was a coin. Anyway other machines such as a CZ-3D I tried in this same test garden could find the coins but did not hit them hard like the Explorer, I may have passed them up or missed them in the field, not so with the Explorer as these targets hit hard and there was no mistaking them. I have the coins buried directly under golf tees so I tried to pinpoint in the pinpoint mode and it was dead on, and I'm using the stock 10.5" coil so I'm not understanding why people say these machines are hard to pinpoint targets. I had about an hour to detect yesterday at the river before the rains hit. People have been swimming down here for years. I found 3 quarters, Buffalo nickel (new type and had me fooled for a second) and 5 pennies. Everytime I found a coin I knew it was a coin, except for the nickel but it sounded to good to pass up so I dug it. I was fooled by a big lead sinker and a beer bottlecap more so by the bottlecap. All in all I'm totally impressed with this machine in my limited use, although I didn't find any old coins or jewelery I probably didn't swing the coil over any. I used Quickstart mode only and bumped the sensitivity to 24. The weather is looking good for next weekend so I'm anxious to get back out with the XS. Any help or advice would be appreciated. This is actually the first detector I've used that lives up to the hype!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gary.I just got a used xs myself.Best detector I've ever owned no doubt. :thumbsup: I would suggest getting a copy of the book "Mastering the minelab explorer xs & s " by Andy Sabisch Best of luck !

OP
OP
gary in idaho

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Thanks, I've got the book. I'm just going to use the machine in the factory preset for the most part this year until I understand the machines language (sounds and tones) better. No doubt it will take some time to learn but the rewards should be well worth it!

Gary

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gary in idaho said:
Thanks, I've got the book. I'm just going to use the machine in the factory preset for the most part this year until I understand the machines language (sounds and tones) better. No doubt it will take some time to learn but the rewards should be well worth it!

Gary

Cool deal.I've been doing the same and have had some realy good results so far.I need to work on setting up a gold program though.I got my explorer from a friend that got the etrack and he found a gold ring for a lady in a burnt out apartment using a gold program...so I know it will work. :thumbsup:

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, X-Terra 70,Tiger Shark,Garrett CWIII,Ace 250
Hi Guys,

New Explorer user here also, about 20 hrs.
I'm also happy with it.

There is a gold program in Andy's book that looks real interesting.
I dying to try it at a freshwater beach locally. I'm going to have to buy a backhoe 'cause these holes are getting deeper.

Your right about Factory presets, same here.
On the pinpoint thing, what messes me up is when I'm trying to pull a coin out from the midst of trash.
The machine wants to lock on to the iron, so instead I use the explorer wiggle and it seems to get me in the ballpark.

Another thing, I'm using a Detector Pro pocket probe, great piece of kit as our Cousins across the pond would say.
But, it is basically a small PI detector and picks up everything, and I mean everything.Might need to invest in a X-1 probe. And A Shovel!!!

Best of Luck to You Guys,
Ron

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ron. I'm going to get the sunray probe for mine. I've had some trouble pinpointing deep targets.I sometimes lose the signal after cutting a plug or like you say get interference from close iron.I like the sunray as it works as an extension of your explorer rather than a separate unit.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Explorer XS... I can't really see myself ever chaning from this machine. I would like to, because it would mean there was a new really REALLY good detector out there.

You are having no trouble pinpointing right now for three reasons.

1) The target is still in range to use the pinpoint feature, that will not always be the case.

2) You have no target masking with a test garden signal.

3) You are probably not testing some of the targets that get dug in the field, but are junk, and often fool you and are in the side of the hole. (good targets on edge can have the same effect) The Explorer XS is the only detector I've used the last 8 years and know it about as well as I ever well, but without my Sunray probe certain targets have me digging a very large hole trying to figure out what side of the hole it is on. (I hunt fields) Anywhere other than a field, you would make way too much of a mess.

If you haven't gone out yet you might as well start thinking about a PP'er because you will want and need it.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Explorer XS... I can't really see myself ever chaning from this machine. I would like to, because it would mean there was a new really REALLY good detector out there.

1) The target is still in range to use the pinpoint feature, that will not always be the case.

3) You are probably not testing some of the targets that get dug in the field, but are junk, and often fool you and are in the side of the hole. (good targets on edge can have the same effect) The Explorer XS is the only detector I've used the last 8 years and know it about as well as I ever well, but without my Sunray probe certain targets have me digging a very large hole trying to figure out what side of the hole it is on. (I hunt fields) Anywhere other than a field, you would make way too much of a mess.

If you haven't gone out yet you might as well start thinking about a PP'er because you will want and need it.

Makes sence to me.I've noticed that while in pinpoint mode,it has very little depth capabilitys.I'm lucky to get a broken signal on anything very deep.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed over the years the stock coil for the XS is nowhere near as good on pinpointing my targets in the woods as I would like. However, the ML 8 inch coil is a different world on PP accuracy. Also, the SE Pro Coil I am running now for the past year is a tad better on PP than the Stock coil and again,not as good as the ML 8 inch coil.

I do have a Sunray Probe, got one the first year they were available, love it, however, the extra weight can be taxing on long hunts and in thick brush the somewhat stiff cable will catch on the brush and the probe get yanked off the mount, and mine will false easily in damp weather, so due to that and the weight, when hunting with stock coil or 11 inch Pro Coil, I prefer to not use it. With the ML 8 inch, the SR probe and that coil are a great combination. I highly recommend it, especially if a Park hunter or hunting where you really want to limit the size of the hole you are digging.

As far as PP mode and depth, yes, a tad less but IF it has been a good target, it will give still some of a signal. One thing I learned in all the years of using the ML, headphones are a must in my opinion, and ones that really work good with the tones, been using Grey Ghosts for past 6-8 years and would be lost without them....

Don

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch

I may give the Pocket probe a little more time, it sure is a deep seeker (3 +inches).
While it alerts on all things metallic,it still works, but having a probe that sounds like your regular coil!!
That would tend to spoil a fellow.
I have read many posts here and elsewhere and have learned enough to know I wanted a Explorer.
Coming off the Xt-70 is quite a change. Don't get me wrong the 70 is a fine machine, I just wanted the best.
How is your new small coil, do you like it? Would you recommend it?
I have a 6''DD for my 70 and it's like a laser and amazing pinpoint. Only problem area coverage, so special times use.

Don in SJ,

I too use the 11' pro,came with the machine,I does a pretty good job separating for as big as it is.
I see the first thing to get is a smaller coil, I mostly park hunt with some woods thrown in.

I have been thinking about the 8'' ML and all the advantages that come with it.
Probably easier for an fng,like me, to learn on.

I definitely see the advantage of the tones of the X-1,but I bought the pocket probe to use with the xt-70,so I may as well get used to it.
It might not be so bad once I learn to pp like I should.

It's all about the journey guys, enjoy while we can !!

Good Luck,

Ron

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's one big advantage the Sunray has over the p. probe, at least for me, it's that when a site is getting beat it lets me dig some iffy signals and only have to cut the plug. From there the probe either signals or nulls and I don't have to waste more time digging all the dirt out. It also works well on the higher sounds that you think are most likely iron but just can't leave behind incase it's a coin and part of the tone is coming off larger iron in close proximity. Between the XS and Sunray probe, on the right kind of old site, I am a digging machine as there's no real thinking anymore, just a second to realize it's non ferrous and it's coming out.

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
IP,
Definitely can see that the Sunray has more info for us.I'm wondering how they hold up.
I've noticed a few posts where the units were"acting up".It seems the switch would be the weak link in the system.

I know a pinpointer is a must for me, I am very picky on "leave no trace", if possible.

So maybe the 8'' ML with the X-1 would be the "Bees Knees"....sounds like Don in SJ is on to something alright!

I was going to buy the X-5 Stealth first, but now I'm rethinking this whole park setup.

Thanks,
Ron

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fng68 said:
IP,
Definitely can see that the Sunray has more info for us.I'm wondering how they hold up.
I've noticed a few posts where the units were"acting up".It seems the switch would be the weak link in the system.

I know a pinpointer is a must for me, I am very picky on "leave no trace", if possible.

So maybe the 8'' ML with the X-1 would be the "Bees Knees"....sounds like Don in SJ is on to something alright!

I was going to buy the X-5 Stealth first, but now I'm rethinking this whole park setup.

Thanks,
Ron

It is possible for the switch to go but not enough of an issue to worry about. The weight would be the number one problem for most, but not near as bad with the SE pro coil, especially if the probe is mounted beside the armrest.

I've had the 8" coil a few times, never liked it, didn't seem to get me more where I hunt. But I can swing the 10.5 all day with no problem. (and that's with the heavy stock coil, mounted on the upper shaft, and heavy metal armrest... it is a beast) I've also had the Sunray 5".. feels like a waste of time swinging a coil with so little coverage. I can hunt iron quite well with the stock so would never see a need to go under the 8" (7.5") I would agree with Don on the weight though, when I have an 8" on my explorer it feels more like a Tesoro.

OP
OP
gary in idaho

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Iron Patch said:

Thanks Iron Patch, that makes sense. I've got a few pinpointers but I don't have the SunRay probe. Had one on my CZ-3 and it was good. Don't know if I want to add anymore weight to the Explorer but the SunRay probe may be the best bet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions