EXTEND HIGH BANKER SLUICE BOX??

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Why not just run a drop riffle riffle behind the highbanker like we do on my buddies Angu MacKirk dredge? It works great and we always find some gold in those riffles that the dredge lost.

strech

Greenie
May 25, 2011
Astro' I think you have the best Idea about running a Drop riffle after the highbanker sluice or Vortex matting
One thing to be careful of is water flow, you don't want it to be very fast and forceful.What size motor & pump
is your highbanker? You may have to tweek your water flow down a little If to much force you could blow your
fine gold right out the end of your sluice.If you are loosing gold slow down water flow or raise end of sluice. It
might be a good idea to run a see thru plastic damper This will help to make your gold lay down. Put damper at
head of vortex matting or plane rubber matting. I prefer vortex as it is the best you can get.
Lastly a magnetic bar at the top of your sluice to get all your magnetics out. I would like to hear how it has turned out.
Good luck (strech)

strech

Greenie
May 25, 2011
Mumsituk I should have asked you first whether you are loosing any gold over the end of your
sluice ,If so how much-a lot or a few specks.This would definitley tell you If you should lengthen
out your sluice.Sorry Sterch

OP
OP
M

mumsituk

Jun 15, 2011
Sterch,
Don't know yet. Experienced in CA years ago, but new to the game in NY. Yes, New York. It is known that it some (and I mean little!) very fine gold in some areas - result of melted glacier "bring downs" from Canada. So I would think to catch the fines, I would extend sluice with miner's moss under a small and fine expanded metal.

OP
OP
M

mumsituk

Jun 15, 2011
Strech,
What do mean by "see through damper" and vortex?? Pardon my ignorance, but it's been 30 or so yrs.
Gene

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
clear plastic damper that attachs to the headend of your sluice and lays down over the 1st 12-18 inchs of your sluice. this damper will flaten your water and help remove bubbles, this will speed up the dropping out of fine gold.

OP
OP
M

mumsituk

Jun 15, 2011
Ressau,
Thanks. That makes absolute sense! Changed my mind for getting high banker. I ordered a 2" dredge with narrow sluice (6" X 36") by Treasure Emporium (demo model called "Jose Special"). I thought I'd put a punch plate for first foot or so, to classify entry material. Would I defeat purpose of the plastic damper by using both? or one ahead of the other?
When I dredged 25+ yrs. ago (Serria foothills, CA), my 3" Keene was basic - no damper, no punch plate, no expanded metal, etc. - just Hung. riffles + carpet. This is all new to me now! Let me be a real pain - could you describe the damper thickness (guess it can't be to thick/heavy) and a pic of it would be nice of you - man, am I pushing my luck!! If there is anything I can do for you, yell to me.
Gene (mumsituk - means "let's go" in Algonquin lingo)

strech

Greenie
May 25, 2011
I tried to PM you but i'm not privy to that part of forum.
E-Mail me at [email protected] If you can give your
telephone # Ill call you ( free phone calls ) Lots to talk
about .

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the thickness needs tobe just thin/heavy enough to flatten the water (no bubbles,or wave forms)but still allow the rocks/gravels to move underneath the damper. if its to heavy/stiff, itll jam the rocks underneath it. this damper helps the retention of fine gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread