Metal Sluice Frame or ???

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to buy one, if anyone is selling cheap.....Let me know....i've tried all my efforts in making one, and the one i've "Made" just isnt worth the work/supplies invested (It wont get any of the gold, doesnt have mats, and likely just poor worksmanship on my part, im not very good as such things). Someones gotta have one laying around they dont need and would like to make a couple bucks and a happy greeny =)

I now have some matting that i think will work VERY well in a sluice.
Any other parts aside from matting let me know...

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cheap Used Sluice

Even just the box itself, i have recently recieved some matting

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone able to bend/sell one? ???

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
alpha105 said:
Anyone able to bend/sell one? ???

Are you talking about a sluice box? Your best bet is to just go to your local metal supplier and buy a sheet of aluminum the size you want and have them bend it there if they have a metal brake, if not take it to a local cooling/heating shop or any shop that works with sheet metal and have them bend it.

That's what I did with my sluice for my dredge.
IMAG0008.jpg

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called up the shops today.....Looking at $93 for a 12"x24" piece.......could buy a new sluice at that price, so still lookin =)

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
alpha105 said:
Called up the shops today.....Looking at $93 for a 12"x24" piece.......could buy a new sluice at that price, so still lookin =)

Wow, that's ridiculous. It cost me $130 for a 4' x 8' sheet of .090 aluminum and then $10 per bend.

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oragonads said:
alpha105 said:

Wow, that's ridiculous. It cost me $130 for a 4' x 8' sheet of .090 aluminum and then $10 per bend.

I figured itd be pricy from a local spot, around that of a prebuilt sluice =(

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
it shouldnt be that expensive! esspecially if you supply the alum. and cut it out yourself. go to your county/state highway department and ask you of them guys if they have any old alum. signs they can sell that will be big enough for what you want. this is a temperd alum. so when it gets bent tell the person bending it to bend it slowly or itll crack. but once its done itll be a good one!the decals on it can be removed by scraping it with a razorblade knife, then sand off the remaining adhesive.

Sep 18, 2010
Tx. & La.
Hey Alpha, I can bend a sluice using 100ga. aluminum about any size you want for a reasonable fee,
But shipping cost may be more than it is worth, where are you located, i'm in south Louisiana,
Depends on size and weight + distance, if it would be worth it, I won't design 1 for you, but i'll
bend it to your measurements LxWxH,

Bob,

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from South Milwaukee Wi 53172.

Measurements would be 24Lx12Wx3H.

Thanks much, let me know. If the shipping kills it where u are from, im pretty sure itll be the same issue from anywhere so ill prolly try and lock this thread if so.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey alpha
get you some Alum flat stock they may have differant size's & a stock length L-angle 3/4x 3/4 from the local home improvement store and cut to size with a jig saw and pop-rivet the L angel on
just a thought
2cmorau

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2cmorau said:
hey alpha
get you some Alum flat stock they may have differant size's & a stock length L-angle 3/4x 3/4 from the local home improvement store and cut to size with a jig saw and pop-rivet the L angel on
just a thought
2cmorau

too technical, couldnt catch most of that, as well as i own no power tools.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
2cmorau said:
hey alpha
just a thought
2cmorau
i had to do this once when the alum i bought was a harder "T" number than the brake would bend. and it cracked when doing so. so i added the 3/4 alum angle to make my sluice for a 4 inch dredge and used solid rivits to put it all together.it severd me well. but to get your sluice made ,id just goto a sheetmetal shop with your measurments and have the bend you one up. youll be happier and itll be done inexpensivly!

Sep 18, 2010
Tx. & La.
Ok, got a close guess on the cost, about 15 bucks for 18"x24" w/2 bends, and about 20 bucks to ship, have you
thought about making 1 out of lumber? would def be cheaper and would still get the job done, i'm just trying to
help a fellow prospector out,
Bob,

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock_Crusher305 said:
Ok, got a close guess on the cost, about 15 bucks for 18"x24" w/2 bends, and about 20 bucks to ship, have you
thought about making 1 out of lumber? would def be cheaper and would still get the job done, i'm just trying to
help a fellow prospector out,
Bob,

My biggest concern with lumber is weight and durability. I will deff consider the metal one you have, cant believe they are trying to charge me 6x what you can get it for....lol. I'll let you know when im certain what route i plan on going =). Fortunatly the matting i have would work even better with 18x24 than 12x24

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Its only 18 because the 2 three inch side bends, which will make it 12 inches wide afterwords. You don't want an 18 inch wide conventional riffle sluice (but that width would work on a drop riffle) because the water requirements to run it would be astronomical.

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh that makes sence, 12" would be perfect either way then =).......assumably if i made a wood one i would have to seal the joints and coat it in waterproofing stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions