Extreme Detecting between storms of the decades OR Testing the 15" Equinox Coil

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Just returned home from a crazy road-trip. We had a work event in Las Vegas last week, and we had some equipment to haul in.The company said they'd pay my gas, so I decided to drive it, and take a few extra days off and go to one of my old Spanish trail sites to detect on my way home. What a trip it turned out to be!

Snow blizzard on the way to Vegas. Then from Vegas to California, was one of the worst rain storms in like 50 years...I was out on a little two lane, twisty, curvy road that routes you though the mountains and it started out as just small oozes of mud filling areas of the road, or wet slicks as water filled the roads, but as I progressed higher into the mountains, it was progressively worsening, now small streams and creeks and boulders were taking over the road, then massive mud slides onto the roads.

The road would worsen. The roads were washed out and flooded with white water rivers now taking over, filling the road with a debris field of rocks, small trees and brush, and tons of sand. One one occasion I was blasting through what amounted to a massive river flowing across the road, and while trying to blast though it a massive sand bar under the water attempted to trap the car, but luckily the FJ is a very capable off road vehicle, and it was able to make it though this and many more obstacles to come. So after all this, I get to my destination and the motel had canceled everyone's reservations because they had no water or power. Great, now I'm out in the middle of BFE with no place to stay and I'm not driving back through raging water flash floods. I ended up spending the night in my FJ Cruiser in the middle of the desert. It was a weird night, to be made even more strange by the fact that the only radio station I could pick up out there was playing Indian chants all night - LOL

Between storms, I managed to get in a day of detecting, but with an even larger storm system nipping at my heals, I decided to head back before it hit the fan!

I managed a good day testing the 15" Equinox coil at a site that's been stingy lately. Tom and I hunted it the last time we were there, and neither of us dug a single coin, but for whatever reason the Equinox lit it up :blob8:

Enjoy!

IMG_9724-sm.jpg

GL&HH
Cal

Upvote 29
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great old coin shooting...very nice trip! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a trip you wont forget at least you didnt get stuck.Ill tell ya I 17 through flag and to vegas is an awesome drive usually lol next ttime my Friend youll hit that trail

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Wow thats a trip you wont forget at least you didnt get stuck.Ill tell ya I 17 through flag and to vegas is an awesome drive usually lol next ttime my Friend youll hit that trail

Their awesome drives but I don't know if I'll try it again during crazy weather :tongue3:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow, crazy finds! Not sure how I missed this post when you first published it. Man, a single seated is an amazing day on the West Coast. I'm impressed you nabbed 3. Well done!!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! What a tale to tell. Be careful through the water with the fj. My neighbor killed his because the intake is relatively low. Well, and he was driving it through a stream.
Glad you had time to detect and make some great saves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Wow, crazy finds! Not sure how I missed this post when you first published it. Man, a single seated is an amazing day on the West Coast. I'm impressed you nabbed 3. Well done!!

Thanks! Aside from a seated coin cache I dug last year, I've never dug three seateds in a single hunt before, two, but never three.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That's interesting to note on the FJ. I've driven my FJ through a river before several times and didn't have any issues, but I know they also make a snorkel intake system for it, so it might be cheap insurance to get one!

Thanks for taking a look!

Wow! What a tale to tell. Be careful through the water with the fj. My neighbor killed his because the intake is relatively low. Well, and he was driving it through a stream.
Glad you had time to detect and make some great saves.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....Tom and I hunted it the last time we were there, and neither of us dug a single coin, but for whatever reason the Equinox lit it up....

Well ... Cal Cobra .... now that you forced my hand : I confess: I left those 2 seated dimes and that barber for you. At that "certain" site of ours. I didn't want to be mean or stingy after all. No ... don't thank me. It was the least I could do for a fine gentleman such as yourself.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man nice seated coins! And a Barber too! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well ... Cal Cobra .... now that you forced my hand : I confess: I left those 2 seated dimes and that barber for you. At that "certain" site of ours. I didn't want to be mean or stingy after all. No ... don't thank me. It was the least I could do for a fine gentleman such as yourself.

It's interesting that after all the years we've been detecting that site, as well as others, that I was able to dig three silver coins in one hunt there. How many silver coins have you found there in a single hunt? Hmmm...... :icon_scratch:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man it sounds like you're lucky to be alive after spending the night in your Cruiser, those are nice looking vehicles! :occasion14:
I thought this was hilarious... "the only radio station I could pick up out there was playing Indian chants all night".

I was in Vegas from Jan. 21 - 25, that was the first time I'd seen snow in the desert there.
Here's a pic of our booth from the WOC Show. :thumbsup:

Congrats on your early silver finds too,
Dave

Attachments

• 20190122_093429.jpg
    20190122_093429.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 40

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions