Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Most of the cans I come up with are coated, though, so wouldn't work. Good point about melting snow. In a survival situation, you want to melt that first, and not just eat snow for moisture.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Most of the cans I come up with are coated, though, so wouldn't work. Good point about melting snow. In a survival situation, you want to melt that first, and not just eat snow for moisture.

You bet RGINN, think other tins (veggies etc.) are clean tin too.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool.... I'm not sure either about the cans I get. I don't recall any that are as smooth and shinny on the inside like the one you have there.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool.... I'm not sure either about the cans I get. I don't recall any that are as smooth and shinny on the inside like the one you have there.

I believe they are canned mushroom tins TR, just one little candle lasts 3-4 hours...so just 6 (use 1 at a time) inside my truck would give about 24 hrs of light/heat inside any vehicle if ever stranded/broke down in winter. Enough heat to get you through life threatening freezing temps. ;)

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they are canned mushroom tins TR, just one little candle lasts 3-4 hours...so just 6 (use 1 at a time) inside my truck would give about 24 hrs of light/heat inside any vehicle if ever stranded/broke down in winter. Enough heat to get you through life threatening freezing temps. ;)

I'm going to make one for the truck. Now that you mention it, I do think the caned mushrooms have that shinny plated inside. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to make one for the truck. Now that you mention it, I do think the caned mushrooms have that shinny plated inside. :thumbsup:

If you notice in pic...I used the lid as a 'sheath with teeth' to hold the candle firm (nail hole in center then cut with tin snips) so it slips snug over candle and sits in the cans bottom. ;)

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you notice in pic...I used the lid as a 'sheath with teeth' to hold the candle firm (nail hole in center then cut with tin snips) so it slips snug over candle and sits in the cans bottom. ;)
I saw that...I lost a water pump once out in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold in north central Nevada one time. Six hours later a County Sheriff drove by and took me in to Eureka Nevada. I keep a thick blanket and insulated coverall on hand. I just got all tucked in and was hoping to God someone would come by. That candle idea may have warmed me up some that afternoon. Good thing I didn't have to spend the night out there. These days I call it quits before it gets to late out on the road. When I was younger I'd dive through the night and stop for a snooze at rest stops and all, but that job I covered All Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, and parts of Wyoming, West Nebraska and West Texas. I'd drive 60k plus every year in a Chevy Lumina. I also keep fire stater sticks and cheap poncho's that I've given out to folks I see walking in the pouring rain and for myself.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that...I lost a water pump once out in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold in north central Nevada one time. Six hours later a County Sheriff drove by and took me in to Eureka Nevada. I keep a thick blanket and insulated coverall on hand. I just got all tucked in and was hoping to God someone would come by. That candle idea may have warmed me up some that afternoon. Good thing I didn't have to spend the night out there. These days I call it quits before it gets to late out on the road. When I was younger I'd dive through the night and stop for a snooze at rest stops and all, but that job I covered All Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, and parts of Wyoming, West Nebraska and West Texas. I'd drive 60k plus every year in a Chevy Lumina. I also keep fire stater sticks and cheap poncho's that I've given out to folks I see walking in the pouring rain and for myself.

Yep, prime example TR. A buddy & I spent "Days" in mountain foothills with my 4X4 buried while hunting (never seen a soul in 2 days) we were stuck...finally got out on our own, never needed these little units (but still had'em in truck)...did use them though in truck all night ice-fishing! Made a huge difference!...and here at home last winter (4 of them going, no power for 48 hrs). You being on the road so much, I bet they may come in handy ...bag of 100 are what...$3.00 or $4.00 !! ;) Even if not needed..at least you know you've got them! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another easy type I made for in the home... with fold in safety arms (so if knocked over on side/upside down) the candle still can't fall out! ;)

Attachments

• 2015-01-08 16.29.13.jpg
    2015-01-08 16.29.13.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 2015-01-08 16.29.30.jpg
    2015-01-08 16.29.30.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 2015-01-08 16.29.50.jpg
    2015-01-08 16.29.50.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 2015-01-08 16.30.19.jpg
    2015-01-08 16.30.19.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 2015-01-08 16.34.29.jpg
    2015-01-08 16.34.29.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tip thanks for sharing.

One thing I forgot to mention p12211...gotta be careful making them, or you'll use up tissue (and swear words) from cuts and pokes from sharp/pointed tin edges!! haahaa! ;) and with "any" open flame/candle...always beware with kids/pets able to reach it...or any flammable material which may/can be able to contact the flame!! Saftey First!!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Most if not all modern first world 'tin cans' for food have a Darex (Dewey and Almy Corp - subsid of W.R. Grace) type compound (rubberish/poly) lining sprayed on the interior surface. That is what keeps the metals out of your food, and that is why dented cans can give you bad food, because that lining gets corrupted allowing corrosion. Stinky when burned, but very small amount of it. Perhaps foil liner or just heavy foil. Some other bare metal - copper pipe?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aluminum soda cans are shiny inside. I have used them to shield/reflect WIFI signals from the modem to help reception. Also have used aluminum foil to cover a 9" x 12" cover for a cake pan to reflect signals. I believe it would work also for light reflection.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most if not all modern first world 'tin cans' for food have a Darex (Dewey and Almy Corp - subsid of W.R. Grace) type compound (rubberish/poly) lining sprayed on the interior surface. That is what keeps the metals out of your food, and that is why dented cans can give you bad food, because that lining gets corrupted allowing corrosion. Stinky when burned, but very small amount of it. Perhaps foil liner or just heavy foil. Some other bare metal - copper pipe?

Well, these cans have no rubber/poly/paint or anything else...(the one in first pics) I've used at least 100 candles in and still it's the same as the day I made it the candle holder. Like I replied to TR, where I am certain these cans have no rubber/plastic/poly or any other material that chars/blackens/burns...just my tried, tested, and true observation CN. :)...
And, if in an emergency/life threat (freezing to death)..."any" tin can would be the least of my worries anyway. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum soda cans are shiny inside. I have used them to shield/reflect WIFI signals from the modem to help reception. Also have used aluminum foil to cover a 9" x 12" cover for a cake pan to reflect signals. I believe it would work also for light reflection.

Yes tr777, I use foil behind my many coal oil lanterns all the time for extra light in home when there's power outage. Just give a sheet a few "crinkles"...and you've at least "double the light" or more from the one lantern!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A roll of aluminum and a bag of tea candles sounds like a good thing to have in the truck! House has a wood stove.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread