Extremely Rare pale gold Tremissis Dorestad (Madelinus) 680-700 a.d.(New Photos)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this tiny pale gold coin in bad condition with a bunch of other stuff on what I think was a virgin field, so many finds in a short time.

Other finds was a old thimble (beehive, cast); a neat little toy (tin); a hanger; nice little silver buckle with a heart on it; a hanger; pair other silver coins and a bunch of copper/bronze coins. Everything in not so good condition, I had to find that stuff years ago. (found yesterday in Holland).

There was also on the field a deep well (bricks)! Never seen anything like that in a field. Dangerous for the night hawkers for sure. No house close by, and did not see any relics that would show that a house or building was removed, everything was clean. Deep well too, just in the soil, they plow right over it! Photos see below.

About the well, it is very good that we are always looking at the ground is it not??? Just imagine if you did not look at that moment!

I received an determination today from a curator:
"This is pale gold tremissis or silver denarius of the Dorestad moneyer Madelinus, or an imitation of the type produced in Frisia or the Meuse region."

My only question about this determination is that Dorestad was located IN Frisia. Made and imitated in the same place. Could be.
A second determination was made and agrees with Martin's findings.
The same coin is shown here: http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=1852533
(Thanks to CRU for searching and finding it!)

Was back on the field today, the farmer was starting to seed it. Did not find much, coins and one silver.... (I guess I am too good of a detectorist, I did not leave anything for the next searcher (which happened to be me!).

Attachments

• DSCN4516_resize.JPG
    DSCN4516_resize.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,311
  • DSCN4517_resize.JPG
    DSCN4517_resize.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,307
  • DSCN4530_resize.jpg
    DSCN4530_resize.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,328
  • Small Coin_resize.jpg
    Small Coin_resize.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,188
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare Silver Tremissis Dorestad, moneyer Madelinus, 680-700 AD (Determined!)

WOODY50 said:
I will show the gold color scale here for reference, I think that the link I gave previously is pretty good to know about gold colors and how they are made.

Yes, interesting, & when you look at it, kind of obivious. More copper mix (red), more silver (white), more gold (Yellow). Thanks :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare Silver Tremissis Dorestad, moneyer Madelinus, 680-700 AD (Determined!)

CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
I will show the gold color scale here for reference, I think that the link I gave previously is pretty good to know about gold colors and how they are made.
Yes, interesting, & when you look at it, kind of obivious. More copper mix (red), more silver (white), more gold (Yellow). Thanks :icon_thumright:
Yes and at the link (Wikipedia) they mention which metal is alloyed with the base pure gold (which has a metallic gold color) to create the different colors. That is very interesting because of all the debaseing over the years. I think the pale gold is gold alloyed with silver, like you mention.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Rare pale gold Tremissis Dorestad(Frisia), moneyer Madelinus,680-700 a.d. UPDATE

I lose this post a few weeks ago ..... :dontknow:
The wells in the middle of the fields are frecuentres here, that field was once a farm house and water wells and cereals.
nice Medieval coin. :notworthy:
H

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare pale gold Tremissis Dorestad(Frisia), moneyer Madelinus,680-700 a.d. UPDATE

HISPAN said:
I lose this post a few weeks ago ..... :dontknow:
The wells in the middle of the fields are frecuentres here, that field was once a farm house and water wells and cereals.
nice Medieval coin. :notworthy:
H
Well I should agree with you Hispan completly, it sure would look that way. But I have yet to inspect the bricks, should have taken one then I would know how old it is. The thing that is wierd then is that there is not one single piece of wood, brick, or anything that would say that there was a farm house there. But I will look on some old maps and will get back to you...

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare pale gold Tremissis Dorestad (Madelinus) 680-700 a.d. (New Photos see last)

Here are some photos of the coin and buckle. I have cleaned most of the muck off of the coin, but I am at this time not going further with cleaning, for me not necessary.
Now anyway you can see that it is a pale gold coin.

The buckle cleaned up very good, and being a silver buckle I even polished it.
If someone can tell me about the stamps on the buckle I would be pleased, I have looked but cannot find them.
One is a crown, the other I cannot identify.

Attachments

• Cleaned.jpg
    Cleaned.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 1,643
  • Comparison.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,562
  • Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,570
  • Stamps.jpg
    Stamps.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,601

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare pale gold Tremissis Dorestad (Madelinus) 680-700 a.d. (New Photos see last)

man, those are beautiful finds!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Metal Magnet said:
man, those are beautiful finds!
Thanks Magnet. I have never had a virgin land to search, I will be returning.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is a real cracker, any Saxon Gold Coin is No.2 on the Wish List :headbang:

The Buckle came up good (although a little shinny for me), hard to tell it was silver before cleaning.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
That coin is a real cracker, any Saxon Gold Coin is No.2 on the Wish List :headbang:
The Buckle came up good (although a little shinny for me), hard to tell it was silver before cleaning.
Yes its too shiny for me too. But it will change, get a patina again. I could not keep the old patina, otherwise I could not get the gunk off. Still don't know what that was, I am thinking a combination of things. Pity also I did not get the chance to really search the field, wanted to map it all out but did not have the time. It will be available in the spring and for another three years, but NOT plowed. Pity about that. I did not get much on my second search, only 17th century stuff. Was going to try to get permission today for the field next to this one, but it rained too hard. Tomorrow I will try that.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o

Wow that is one super Buckle Earl :o if you want to blacken it of a little, just drop it in bleach :thumbsup:

SS

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Good job on the buckle Earl :notworthy:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:o :o :o

Wow that is one super Buckle Earl :o if you want to blacken it of a little, just drop it in bleach :thumbsup:

SS
Good tip SS, thanks.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Yea it came out ok, I think I will try some sort of patina on it, maybe what SS said. Its just too shinnny for my display case... Wish I could have saved the old patina, but I tried everything I could to find something that would take it off and not any patina, but had to get all of it off.

How you making out? (also work wise).

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
Yea it came out ok, I think I will try some sort of patina on it, maybe what SS said. Its just too shinnny for my display case... Wish I could have saved the old patina, but I tried everything I could to find something that would take it off and not any patina, but had to get all of it off.

Haven't been out much this year for one reason or another Earl, mostly laziness I suppose :-\ And work wise....I've been a lot better off, and it's getting worse :( Still, it'll soon be Christmas :laughing7:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
Haven't been out much this year for one reason or another Earl, mostly laziness I suppose :-\ And work wise....I've been a lot better off, and it's getting worse :( Still, it'll soon be Christmas :laughing7:
Yea the months go too quickly, and December is a horrible month when you think about how much you spend. We have also about 3 birthdays in December.... poor pocketbook!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare finds indeed !! from what i read about near imposable finds, excellent :notworthy: That has to make BANNER this time :thumbsup: Jim

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Rare finds indeed !! from what i read about near imposable finds, excellent :notworthy: That has to make BANNER this time :thumbsup: Jim

Even if you/others don't understand it, the beauty & crudeness plus its interesting mix of Gold & Silver must be eye catching :icon_scratch:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Woody, I made comments and voted on your other post. I'm adding my vote here now. :)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The symbols on the coins look to me to be emblems of a multiple meteorite fall. Wonder if there is a correlation with a known meteorite fall in the Holland area.

Just sayin'.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Yes and it finally made it on the second coin! Thanks for your comment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread