Eye On the Eight Ball

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Eye On the... “Eightball” ?

Hello again everyone. I know it’s hard to imagine but I actually managed to get in two detecting trips in one week! I know! I’m pinching myself to see if it’s actually not a dream or something. We’ve had fantastic weather here in my part of the country for the last week or so, and I got to take advantage of it not once but TWICE this week. Hey.. and if it doesn’t start raining tonight as predicted by the local weather prognosticators, I might even get in another hunt in the morning! OH WOW!
I’m writing this post the day after my latest hunt. Today I spent with my missus, at least up until now. We had a nice leisurely breakfast over the morning paper.... makes for a lot easier cleaning up after a meal. <chuckle> We then took care of some household chores that we have both been procrastinating about. A nice lunch out at one of our favorite eateries, then took in a movie this afternoon. We saw Tim Burton’s “Alice in Wonderland”, in 3-D. I really wasn’t expecting much, but I found myself pleasantly surprised and entertained by the story and the movie. Anyway, enough commercials. We made a pilgrimage to the grocery store after the movie then came home to, for me; get ready to watch some NCAA Basketball Tournament games, and for my darling wife; to go in to work. She had a commitment of a few hours this evening but will be home soon enough. In time to see our favorite team play their tournament game (University of Kentucky Wildcats) GO CATS! <grin> But back to My last metal detecting adventure. Yesterday.
I had called in a vacation day at work to take care of some personal stuff, and to relax a bit. Of course, part of “relaxing” is, for me, to take in some detecting time. As I said, the weather has been fantastic of late and unbeknownst to me, the local schools were having an “In-Service” day. Meaning that the kiddies were all out of school on Friday leaving all the playgrounds and tot lots deserted and just begging to be searched for whatever coins or goodies that have been donated to the woodchips and pea gravel. Donations that I would gladly uncover, collect and put to good use. Well, “Vacation” is a good use. Right? <smile> So not so bright and early (slept in a bit on my vacation day after all), I headed out to make a tour of several local schools. I had in mind about three that I’ve never detected before due to their locations down town. Normally, on weekends anyway, these three particular schools are gated and locked up barring any access to the playgrounds. However, on an “in service” day, the teachers and staff are still present and working at the schools, minus the children, meaning the gates are open. Enter the great white hunter.
Ok.. so I’m not the “Great White Hunter” of literary legend, but I am a bit.. uh.. “great” about the middle... and I am pretty “white” from not seeing so much sun all winter long. <grin> Anyway, back to the searching. As I said, these three particular schoolyards have never been hunted, by me anyway, so I anticipated finding quite a few coins and other things. I was not disappointed. Oh there were coins! LOTS AND LOTS of coins! LOADS of pennies! Almost all Lincoln Memorial Cents, but I did find one Canadian Maple leaf cent, and three Lincoln Wheat Cents. Three Wheaties! One at each of the three different schoolyards. What are the odds of that I wonder?

WheatF.JPG

I found a big Cheesy Token at one of the playgrounds.. Bless that Chuck E Cheese, he sure gets around. And there was one coin that took me a moment or two to identify. It was a dime, regular “recent” clad dime, that someone had flattened out. Even flattened it’s still discernable if you look closely, though there’s no hope for telling what the date was. <shrug>

Token.JPG

Of course, besides coins there were the usual suspects to be found. Tabs, can slaw, bottle caps and that foil that is used to seal juice and milk bottles. I found I don’t know how many of those little metal barrels that connect the eraser to the pencil. They ring up in the “nickel” range on my Prizm IV, but then again, so to pull tabs. As do other things, like some rings, mechanical pencils, and connecting “barrel” fasteners on some jewelry, and buttons and snaps and zipper pulls.. well, you get the picture.

Buttons.JPG

Those tiny little buttons, and a “gear” ? and especially the two tiny little metal tube beads had me wondering if my detector was malfunctioning or something. My Prizm was detecting them, but I couldn’t see them and my bulls eye pin pointer was not picking them up. Twice on one find I covered up my hole thinking it was a false signal, only to go back and look again. Eventually I spotted them though, so you can see them too. I found the “choker” only after going back a third time before I even dug the first hole.. it was a very broken signal I was getting, but then, I was only picking up the two tiny (disconnected) barrel closures at each end.

Bling.JPG

The little ring was not so difficult to find however. Got to wonder what the youth of today are learning for values and morals when they trend to the “Goth” look and wear Skulls at jewelry.

Skull.JPG

Maybe we need to keep a closer “eye” on them. Apparently I’m not the only person to think this. I even found eyes in the woodchips, as if they were on that very mission. Sneaky, like a panther.. or blind.. like a bat!

CrocCat.JPG

The little bat looks stylistic like something you’d see on a totem pole.. bit small for a totem pole though. The Cat, on the other hand, turns out to be one of the button style shoe adornments for those popular rubber shoes called “Crocs”. I’ve found lots of those “buttons” around the parks while detecting. The little “crazy” eye probably came off a doll or even someone’s art project maybe. <shrug> You know how it is, not every find found while metal detecting was actually detected with the metal detector. BOY! That’s a mouthful to say! <laughing> More “Eyeball” finds were of expected or familiar varieties. Things like pencils, pens, bottle caps (plastic)

Plastic.JPG

An “Unusual” “eyeball” find yesterday was an “Eight ball”. In the morning dew wet grass between the parking lot and the gate to the tot lot of school number 2, I spied this billiard ball laying there looking at me with that one “eight” filled eye.

Eightball.JPG
Wondering what the devil a billiard ball was doing near a school playground, I had to stop and pick it up. I was a bit surprised by it weight, or lack thereof, when I picked it up however. As it turns out, it’s not a billiards ball but rather a sponge rubber ball. I thought I might have fun with that later, and I did. When I showed it to my wife, I didn’t tell her it was sponge rubber. I held it out about two feet off the dining table and “dropped” it accidentally. The contortions on her face told me that she was indeed thinking it was a REAL eight ball and what the weight of a billiard ball dropped from that height would do to the finish of the table when it hit. Boy! She can think fast! <laughing> Of course there was relief as well as a bit of chagrin on her face when the ball softly bounced off the table and I grabbed it back from midair on the bounce. Aint I a Stinker?
The two other finds that I took pictures of from yesterday’s hunt(s) fall into the “whatzit” category. Well, one of them does. I pretty much know what a “wing nut” is. Kind of like me. <laughing> The other I can only suspect but not identify with authority. It’s chrome plated and has corroded a great deal from being buried in the soil around the outside of one of the tot lots. I suspect it’s one half of a hinge maybe from something like a bathroom stall door, perhaps from the very school I was detecting at. That would be...uh.. “interesting” I suppose. Anwyay, it was a find and I took a picture to see if anyone else might have a clue as to what it is.

Whatzit.JPG

That whatzit made just a few more ounces of weight in an already heavily laden finds bag. By the end of the afternoon when I finally called it a day, after three different schools in just under three hours including travel time, that finds bag was pretty heavy. Heavy, and with good reason, I had lost count of how much clad I had found after about three dollars in coins. I quit counting and just kept dropping them into the bag.. clink, plink, tink, cha ching, cha ching. Music to my ears, even if I have headphones on and can’t actually hear them fall. When I got home and eventually got around to sorting my finds and counting the coins I was a bit surprised. Pleasantly . Oh the pennies though!

Clad.JPG

I don’t mind the pennies, really. They *DO* add up don’t they! Rolled and deposited to the bank, those pennies spend just as readily as larger coins or paper money. I’ll pick up every penny I find or detect, they all go to a good cause.. my next vacation! <grin> Hmm.. it’s still daylight as I type this in, and it’s nice outside. Maybe I’ll run down the street to the park and do some MORE detecting! Why NOT!? I hope you all got to get out, or will get out and enjoy some detecting of your own. As always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Spooky said:
Looks like a pretty good hunt there, Floyd.
:icon_thumright:

For some ODD reason I always seem to find at least one "wing nut" on my park excursions as well.

<nodding> Yeah... Maybe it's the "wings" they migrate and multiply, like flies or moths.. <grin> I always seem to find some hardware in the tot lots be they in the parks or in the schoolyard playgrounds.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Gator-Flea said:
Looks like some good hunting!!

Well I thought it was too Flea, till my next outting blew that total out of the water! Still though, I was happy with it and happy to have just gotten out and detected a while. Thanks.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread